X-Men '97 - continuation of 1992 Animated Series

Dvandom

Citizen
I'm not talking the Blue Area, I'm talking when Jubilee fell out of Asteroid M, and after Roberto catches her, she can still breathe and her coat and hair move in the breeze. Now, Rogue and Roberto making it from Asteroid M to the Moon in a very short time is another thing entirely, but it's not like we have a speed limit established for either of them. (It would mean that they can functionally move at a high fraction of lightspeed, though.)

---Dave

Destron D-69

FF10F0
Citizen
both the moon and Asteroid M are in orbit, the blue area of the moon has atmosphere - earth has Atmosphere... Magneto as a Magnetic field around the asteroid... Storm and jean are on the other side of it as it falls.. blowing wind (air) and mind powers at it...

(O=o=O) if we can take it for granted that none of them died from exposure to space, because that's what we saw... perhaps all of these things lined up and made a safe bridge for Sunspot to carry Jubes to safety.

also Sunspot's powers let him survive in space, so it's only Jubes we've really got to worry about...

Echowarrior

Citizen
Me, I just assumed that Asteroid M hadn't returned to Earth orbit when Jubilee was thrown out, and that it was merely high up in the atmosphere.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
We watched another episode last night, the trial of Magneto.

I freaking loved it!

Magneto and Rogue having a history is a neat take. It looks like Magneto can touch Rogue. I wonder if he is using his power to put up a shield right around his skin like Bishop did in the comics using a mining suit. I don't know if they ever explained it in the AoA storyline. Gambit at the end is so jealous, and I wonder where it will go.

Seeing the Executioner in animated form was neat. I loved that his plan was to depower Magneto. I hate that Storm got hit instead, but you know that she will be back.

Wolverine having to get Jean(?) to the hospital was great. Love the whole male confusion jokes in this situation. With Rogue having to absorb the racist/bigoted doctor's knowledge and deliver Nathan Summers was a great touch.

Loved seeing Morph fight in this episode, seeing him switch between Deathstrike, Colossus, and Psylocke was awesome! I also liked him cheering up Wolverine later on by playing with him as Sabertooth.

I also love that they had the FOH wanting to attack the judges too.

Magneto at the end was purely epic. Just treating the executioner like a bug and ignoring him to address the judges was great, and as much as I miss the original voice actor, his speech here was great!

Love that at the end instead of Storm showing back up, it's a second Jean Grey! Woot! Looking forward to seeing this play out!

Shadewing

Citizen
Magneto and Rogue having a history is a neat take. It looks like Magneto can touch Rogue. I wonder if he is using his power to put up a shield right around his skin like Bishop did in the comics using a mining suit. I don't know if they ever explained it in the AoA storyline.

Not going to spoiler this since it's just discussing powers, but Short version as I understand it: Rogue's powers are electro-magnetic based, tapping into bio-electric signals and impulses in a person's mind and able to c/p them more or less. It's becuase of that, that Magneto is able sorta cancel out her abilties on him.

Destron D-69

FF10F0
Citizen
oh, really... wow I assumed it was some sort of electron barrier... acting like water does with hydrophobic things...

but that's looking at it from the Magneto direction, I never thought to think of it as being sourced in Rogue's powers. hmm. Nice pull Shadewing

Shadewing

Citizen
oh, really... wow I assumed it was some sort of electron barrier... acting like water does with hydrophobic things...

but that's looking at it from the Magneto direction, I never thought to think of it as being sourced in Rogue's powers. hmm. Nice pull Shadewing

As I understand it, he can only do this becuase her powers work on an electro-magnetic spectrum, if they worked differently he likely wouldn't be able to effect them.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So we watched some more episodes last night!

Fire Made Flesh

loved it!

Seeing Jean come back and finding out that the other was a clone was done very well. With Cyclops being so indecisive and turning the clone into the Goblin Queen. The whole house of horrors was great. Jean using the power of motherhood to break Sinister's hold on her hit pretty hard as a parent. Didn't like that she left the X-Men right after all this Poor baby Nathan! Getting taken to Forge by Bishop instead of Phoenix (Rachael Summers) taking her to a later age was a neat touch.

Motendo/Lifedeath - Part 1

Seeing the old school X-Men gameplay was great! The Motendo cart being the first Sega Genesis game's artwork was great! Loved the cameo of the 6 player X-Men arcade game at the end.

Seeing Jubilee's powers grow even more and develop into what the hacker version of herself could do was great. Seeing the way that the old school games were respresented
Storm and Forge! Woot!

Remember It

Holy crap!

So that is not where I thought this episode or series would go!

Magento and most of the morlocks are assumed dead, Gambit sacrificed himself to literally blow up the kaiju sentinel, and a lot of mutants got vaporized in the background and wrecking of Genosha.

Did Archangel die? What about Madilyne Pryor?

I was hoping that after the statue crushed some innocent bystanders we would see Magneto take out the Kaiju, but sadly that didn't happen.

Some great moments:

Magneto's speech, "Let us not live our lives wondering if we could have saved more!"
Gambit's last words, "Remember it!"
Rogue holding Gambit's broken body, not being able to feel him.

Lifedeath - Part 2

Storm fighting her demons and getting her powers back was great! As was her forgiveness of Forge. A pity Xavier went through all of that to convince the council and still has to return to Earth. Loved seeing the Shiar forces fighting the Kree. Gladiator just singlehandedly defeating everything was great. Deathbird was cool in this episode. I guess Gambit really is dead if Xavier sensed it that far away.

We will probably finish this series up tonight as my girls love this show.

Destron D-69

FF10F0
Citizen
yeah these episodes were all winners. The thing I loved about the Jubilee episode was that they got her original voice actress back to play the older version. which I thought was a nice thing to do. and yeah gotta love an episode with Spiral and Mojo.

Happy to hear your girls are into it. Good luck with the next batch.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
We only got one episode in last night.

Bright Eyes

Rogue going nuts was great. Loved seeing her going rogue. Loved seeing Capitan America again here in this universe. I wonder if they will throw in Spiderman next season, as that would be awesome if Sony gives them the go ahead. Or does Sony only own the movie rights for Spiderman?

So that is Bastion right? He was in the comic about the same time I stopped reading them in the late 90s. If I recall correctly he is a time traveling hybrid creature. I am sure that we will get more backstory on him.

Cable and Cyclops meeting up was great.

Magneto is still alive!

Loved the realistic reaction of the kid's mom to his mutant reveal.

I can't wait to see the final three episodes.

Echowarrior

Citizen
May I take a second to go slightly off-topic?

I've been thinking, off and on, for years about the various Marvel animated series from the nineties, and the idea of whether all of them could fit into the same universe the way most of the stuff based on DC comics did (y'know, the stuff produced by Bruce Timm). With careful consideration, I'd have to argue...no.

Some of it, however, could fit together pretty well. The original X-Men series, the Spider-Man animated series, X-Men '97, all of them are part of the same universe, and I'd happy accept Iron Man as part of it as well, between cameo design choices and VA role reprisals back in the day. The rest...I don't think so. A consequence of several different creative teams, I suppose.

But feel free to argue.

Destron D-69

FF10F0
Citizen
yeah, I'd say it would for sure just be the old and new X-men, and spider-man ... since they are established to be canon already. the syndicated FF and Ironman shows ... while they could be... it could also just be the versions of those characters in this universe are similar... same with the Hulk show. Silver Surfer is right out

Echowarrior

Citizen
yeah, I'd say it would for sure just be the old and new X-men, and spider-man ... since they are established to be canon already. the syndicated FF and Ironman shows ... while they could be... it could also just be the versions of those characters in this universe are similar... same with the Hulk show. Silver Surfer is right out

I'm disinclined towards accepting the Fantastic Four series due to continuity issues (didn't Scarlet Spider cameo in that one? And Daredevil's portrayal in the Fantastic Four series didn't match up with his portrayal in Spider-Man's show), and no way does the Silver Surfer series fit into this. Hulk...eh, maybe.

I'm also inclined to throw out Spider-Man Unlimited, but I'm willing to entertain the idea that the Fox Avengers series could have fit in there. They did have plans for the X-Men to show up in that unmade second season.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think it was Blockbuster Buster on YouTube who talked about which ones shared the same continuity or not...

Or maybe it was the Nerdist:

Well, someone did, at least. The truth is out there, sort of. I guess.

Shadewing

Citizen
I'm disinclined towards accepting the Fantastic Four series due to continuity issues (didn't Scarlet Spider cameo in that one? And Daredevil's portrayal in the Fantastic Four series didn't match up with his portrayal in Spider-Man's show), and no way does the Silver Surfer series fit into this. Hulk...eh, maybe.

I'm also inclined to throw out Spider-Man Unlimited, but I'm willing to entertain the idea that the Fox Avengers series could have fit in there. They did have plans for the X-Men to show up in that unmade second season.

While I might be one of the few people to actually like Spider-Man Unlimited; it is definitely not the same continuity as the other Fox shows.

Echowarrior

Citizen
While I might be one of the few people to actually like Spider-Man Unlimited; it is definitely not the same continuity as the other Fox shows.
Oh, I'm not saying anything bad about that show. I certainly don't dislike it. I just have a hard time viewing it as being part of the same universe as the earlier FOX Spider-Man series.

Top Bottom