X-Men '97 - continuation of 1992 Animated Series

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
yeah, I'd say it would for sure just be the old and new X-men, and spider-man ... since they are established to be canon already. the syndicated FF and Ironman shows ... while they could be... it could also just be the versions of those characters in this universe are similar... same with the Hulk show. Silver Surfer is right out
I view most of the 90s Marvel shows (certainly the 92-97-ish stuff) as being a “loose canon”. The shows largely pass the “squint test” in that, if you watched the Iron Man show, then saw him in Spider-Man or Hulk, it didn’t feel like a drastic departure from his base show.

It’s like how the Transformers and X-Men films are considered their own “canon”, despite vast variances between different entries in those franchises.
While I might be one of the few people to actually like Spider-Man Unlimited; it is definitely not the same continuity as the other Fox shows.
I still maintain that Spider-Man Unlimited probably started as an adaption of Spider-Man 2099 (likely as a counter to Batman Beyond). Then it got redeveloped into a “sequel” to the prior Spider-Man series. Peter Parker’s design in the series even looks a bit more “Latin” than his original character model.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think that if they did try to bring back the older cartoons, then they should just stick with Spiderman for now. It was established as in the same universe in the 90s and it brings in some other great characters like Blade, Punisher, and Captain America. While I never heard of the Ironman or the Fantastic Four cartoons until a few years ago, so I wouldn't try to shoe horn them in. Maybe just add the characters in with the Spiderman characters.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So back to the X-men 97 season 1 finale.

It rocked! I loved all the cameos we have here. Ironman, Cloak and Dagger, Spiderman, Captain America, and more!

Fatal Attractions! Looking forward to Onslaught in Season 3!

Apocalypse Origin Story, and Racheal Summers and young Cable! Maybe Stryfe next season?

Bastion really should have went down a lot easier than he did. I mean Phoenix alone should have been it.

Looking forward to Gambit returning next season as a horseman! Maybe then he will be able to touch Rogue!

However, didn't they destroy Apocalypse for good in the season 4 finale?

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
There HAS to be a third. We're missing
Morph and Storm. Where are they? Exiles? Would be cool if they're in Age of Apocalypse, as a reference to Morph

From what I've read, there isn't a third time period. Wolverine, Storm and Morph either ended up in the distant future with Cyclops and Jean (doubful) or in the past with the rest.

It’s possible Apocalypse already has them in the present. He *is* collecting Horseman and he *did* re-adamantium Wolverine (as a Horseman) in the comics

Storm was a horseman in one of the movies XD... I'm not sure though where there would be more story opportunity for her though... she'd have little to do in the future, and unless they have her land slightly further south in the past to meet up with an earlier Black Panther / set up her own goddess-ness with a predestination paradox/ self-fulfilling destiny deal... yeah the best place for her is in the "now now" of '97, where she can lead the x-men ... maybe bring back Colossus and Iceman ..hell with all this Apocalypse stuff going on, bring back Angel have them be on gold team.

Morph... he's bound to be where ever logan is - since they seem determined to play him as the unrequited gay love Wolverine never noticed because he thought they were beer buddies XD ... and you can't really keep pushing that if they are thousands of years apart
It may have been mentioned already, as I haven't yet read the whole thread. But Beau DeMayo confirmed Storm, Morph, and Wolverine are in the same time period as Jean and Scott.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
I personally hope they don't bring back any of the other 90's shows. Frankly they weren't as well done as X-Men, I found Spiderman down right difficult to watch in the 90's due to it's bad production quality and editing, can't imagine it's aged well since.

People have to also remember there is a really neat looking new animated Spiderman series coming. I personally much prefer the look of this to a revival. I did love the cameos in X-Men '97.

Let them not stretch their resources thin. X-Men '97 was great because a lot of care was taken into it. Flooding the market with a bunch of revivals of lesser shows isn't good for business or X-Men '97.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Personally I'd prefer a Spider-Man 98 to "Yet another Teen Spider-Man learning how to be a hero" Series. That's the one thing the 90's series did that was unique.
Spiderman 98 would be awesome! I would love to see how he and Madame Webb finally track down Mary Jane and bring her home. I would love to see him finally graduate from college and move on in his life. That would be nice to see.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Spiderman 98 would be awesome! I would love to see how he and Madame Webb finally track down Mary Jane and bring her home. I would love to see him finally graduate from college and move on in his life. That would be nice to see.
Some sort of movie special, at the very least, to wrap that up if they don't want to commit to a full series.

Then it does gangbusters and they greenlight a series, anyway, leaving the creators flat-footed. Like you do.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I just like the idea of it. Kind of like how Toby's spiderman was able to grow up and have a family.
But that's not what the people at Marvel had growing up! It has to be just like what they read!

Your childhood, meanwhile, can just go straight to hell.

Apparently.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I'm pretty fine with Peter not marrying Mary Jane actually. I'd much rather he adventure with Black Cat.

I wasn't fond of Silk and I wasn't sure what was up with Jackpot. Can't think of other female superheroes who had relationships with Spider-Man. Probably cuz he got married. Oh, Medusa kissed him in the 80s cartoon.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Mockingbird?! You're kidding. Whaaaa?

Anyway, X-Men stuff, just wondering but the future X-Men ending was ... Tales of Cyclops and Jean and Askani's Son minis adaptations, probably. But what comics are the past team probably adapting?

Top Bottom