X-Men '97 - continuation of 1992 Animated Series

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Yeah, I only knew about Shard from Bishop's four issue mini drawn by Carlos Pacheco. She was just a hologram programmed with her personality then but the device got destroyed so she was gone. I don't even remember what her mutant power was, since that version of her wasn't real.

Btw, seeing how Sinister fought (which ive actually never seen in comics), if Morph can move the same way, it would be an interesting battle.

Also, I hate how Morph's intro song scenes looked, since he just punches then later kept firing a gun. A gun?! Should have just showcased his amazing shapeshifting.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
My only issue is I’m so used to AoA or Exiles Morph being such a goofball that I’m disappointed he’s not going full Looney Tunes squash and stretch and doing more than just changing into people. Heck AoA Morph turned into a platform for Rouge to carry the non fliers on one time. And the in Exiles he rare changed into others rather than just changed into what was needed for the occasion.

Destron D-69

FF10F0
Citizen
well Exiles Morph isn't AoA Morph ... until he is ... I think, I honestly can't remember how that goes... but I remember originally he wasn't. And this morph from the animated series is a completely different morph to both of those morphs...

so I don't think he'll be looney-ing about the place any time soon. HOWEVER having said that... they have introduced the secondary mutations thing now into this continuity... so that might be in the cards down the road after all. Depends how they want to go with it.

Since I don't think any of the Morph storyline is from the comics and was a direct result of the showrunners having to deal with Standards and Practices policies back in the day.

onto this episode... I've described to people elsewhere that the sound Wolverine makes at the end of this episode is "if a human made the 'kicked dog' sound" ... and damn you kinda feel it.

all I can say is... Please don't give me Animated no-nose logan...

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So, question... I think I missed something.

Why exactly can't the Magneto team take out Magneto without Bastion being dealt with first? Because that just cost them big.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
My guess ....
fixing the magnetic field will reactivates all the prime sentinels, and any other surprises that Bastion might have on the island.
Yeah
Gold Team has enough on their hands with the first gen Sentinels and Sinister. There are an unknown number of Prime Sentinels in “stasis” around the island, if they all reactivated, Gold Team would fail and be killed.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Oh, okay, got it. With those Sentinels reactivated, I thought they were back in business.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Oh, okay, got it. With those Sentinels reactivated, I thought they were back in business.
I think the idea was
That the new “old school” Sentinels were newly built at Bastion’s Volcano base, with Bastion himself becoming a pseudo- Master Mold control unit. He seemed to be using his technopathy to use the factories to build new Sentinels, likely ones with better EM shielding. The base itself felt like an old Sentinel manufacturing facility, so it was easy for Bastion to reactivate the old systems and modify the production equipment to field a decent number of Sentinels on the quick

Shadewing

Citizen
I think the idea was
That the new “old school” Sentinels were newly built at Bastion’s Volcano base, with Bastion himself becoming a pseudo- Master Mold control unit. He seemed to be using his technopathy to use the factories to build new Sentinels, likely ones with better EM shielding. The base itself felt like an old Sentinel manufacturing facility, so it was easy for Bastion to reactivate the old systems and modify the production equipment to field a decent number of Sentinels on the quick

They do specifcaly state that the only reason these older models are active is becuase Bastion's technopathy is controlling them. He's basically forcing them to work as a puppeteer on a large scale to protect himself. Not that he's too vulernable solo as we see, but he still probably want to deal with as few directly as possible.

Destron D-69

FF10F0
Citizen
and to be fair. Cyclops is far more concerned for the safety of his wife and son than he is Chuck at the moment, so while he's willing to go along with the plan to get magneto to turn the power back on... he's not going to sacrifice his family to do it. which was why he optic-blasted the professor, because Chuck was about to do just that.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
1715495184679.png

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
That raises a valid point, though:
While each team seems to have a decent focus for their mission, Wolverine and Morph are the odd balls-

Morph has his PTSD with Sentinels AND Sinister, plus the ability to mimic any number of mutants (including power houses like Juggernaut). Why place him in a situation where he’d potentially face both? Wouldn’t his skills be more useful in a scenario where Magneto might have issues adapting to his abilities and attacks?
Wolverine, meanwhile, has that VERY significant weakness to magnetic powers. While lacking the raw strength of some of Morph’s mimics, his adamantium claws are MORE than capable of dealing major damage to the old style Sentinels, while his healing factor would mitigate conflict with Sinister.

The only reason Morph would necessarily be needed for Gold would as an infiltrator (which we saw, and he failed at). Meanwhile, Wolverine is a pure fighter. He didn’t have compunction fighting whoever he needed to (which we saw) nor any hesitation on “doin’ what needed doin’”.

But, truthfully, the only reason Wolverine was on the Asteroid M team was so they could recreate Fatal Attractions.

Destron D-69

FF10F0
Citizen
Yeah, I mean obviously there's the ooc reasons for why the teams were split the way they were. but there are IC reasons too that make a lot of sense given where these characters are at the moment.

Morph going to fight Sinister and the Sentinels: He's trying to work through it, and you don't do that by avoiding it. Ultimately at this point it looks like it might have been a bad call, that does happen - but he even says it, he kinda needs to do this.

Logan going with Cyclops: Like LBD pointed out, Scott is not unaware of Wolverine's 'thing' with Jean, he might not know about the kiss - but he does know him and Jean are still in a weird place... so having wolverine with him on this potentially deadly mission is better than having him there with Her to hold her tightly as she cries over scott's death LOL.
also to be fair... nobody's ever likely thought about Magneto doing that. I think we see him having to re-liquefy it first... which might not have been a thing they knew he could use magnetism to do --- I don't know I'm struggling here because I think the kiss thing might be the real answer lol

Shadewing

Citizen
Tolerence is Extinction pt 3:

Onsuaght is coming. And the fact that this week is "How much of the greater Marvel universe can we cram into this in cameos?" makes me feel that even more that we might see that end battle with many heroes "dying" like in the comic.

He said it, ladies and gentlemen we have title drop!

Return of the Phenoix and she is pissed. She is having none of Bastion's or Sinster's gloating and bullshit.

With Onslaught coming, I wonder if we're also going to be seeing Joseph as well?

And now its time for Rogue to vent hard into Bastion's face.

Are those ruins an Apocalypse base?

Everyone is just upping their game here, but this is a great way to try dealing with Bastion.

Holy Shit: Peter Parker and Mary Jane! Even if we don't get a Fox Spider-Man continuation, I feel like that one cameo gives us some closure there.

Magneto manages to save the day then cue Krusty: What the hell was that? I kinda expected something like this to happen with the X-men going MIA.

Well, we have our Season 2: Apocalypse is coming. We see both his beginings and his end game. And after scenes credits: Gambit is gonna be rezzed as the Horseman of Death.

Well that was a ride. Going to be interesting to see where things go from here. Some in the far past, Some in the far future, and those that remain in the present trying to rebuild. Least it looks like Scott and Jean will get a chance to raise Cable like in the comics.

Top Bottom