The Nintendo Thread of Jumping, Slashing, and Home Decorating

Glitch

Citizen
Well technically Breath of the Wild was the Wii U Zelda game. It's easy to forget that since most people would have played it on Switch.

I am currently playing the Pikmin ports, I used to relax to them on Wii, nice to have them back.

Also I am wondering how Mortal Kombat 1 will turn out on Switch and discovered there's been some backlash to it because it's on PS5 and Xbox Series X and is 100 GB, some think there will be serious compromises to it.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
There will be. Just the nature of the beast. Probably won't be as bad as when they ported Street Fighter II to the Spectrum, but still.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I mean, look at what they had to do to MK11. I mean, it was perfectly playable and if there were no other versions to compare it to, it's a perfectly fine game. But compared to the other consoles, *shudder*

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I blame the lack of a exclusive Zelda title on the system for the Wii U's downfall.

Seriously, it's the only Nintendo console to NEVER have a exclusive Zelda game at any point in it's life cycle.

...Other than the Virtual Boy, but that just helps prove my point.
Then why didn't the GameCube do better?

Caldwin

Citizen
Proprietary disks pissing off third parties yet again. Funky controller that worked great with first party games but not so much third party games built with a normal controller in mind probably didn't help.

Ungnome

Citizen
Yea. Nintendo always makes at least ONE questionable decision with their hardware design and it is usually detrimental to the sales of the system. The third party issue goes way deeper than JUST the proprietary disks. There was also a decade-and-a-half of heavy handed restrictions Nintendo placed on third-party publishers that left a bad taste in the mouth of many of them. Nintendo started fixing some of those issues in the Gamecube era, but really didn't do enough to kind of turn around until the Wii era. Unfortunately the Wii was so under-powered compared to the other two consoles in that generation that the policy changes didn't really help the third-party support issue as much as it could have.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Proprietary disks pissing off third parties yet again. Funky controller that worked great with first party games but not so much third party games built with a normal controller in mind probably didn't help.
you dARe mock the perfectness of the gamecube controller!!!!!!!

the gamecube controller sucks ******* ass ngl. i'm pretty sure the main reason why people like it is because of nostalgia.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
The GameCube controller was a ton better than the N64, but even then the GCB controller is still only the best way to play Smash Bros and not much else.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
The third party issue goes way deeper than JUST the proprietary disks. There was also a decade-and-a-half of heavy handed restrictions Nintendo placed on third-party publishers that left a bad taste in the mouth of many of them.

Funny this keeps getting brought up... yet when I point out Activision may not be happy with Sony... everyone goes "DUR DUR!!! YOU STUPID! COMPANIES DON'T HOLD GRUDGES!!!?"

So which is is? Do they.. or do they not?

Ungnome

Citizen
Oh, the definitely do. Namco was absent for years on Nintendo hardware back in the 90's because of a grudge between the two companies. Haven't really heard of a rift between Activision and Sony, but given that Sony picked up a lot of Nintendo's bad habits after the success of the PS2, I wouldn't be surprised.

Caldwin

Citizen
you dARe mock the perfectness of the gamecube controller!!!!!!!

the gamecube controller sucks ******* ass ngl. i'm pretty sure the main reason why people like it is because of nostalgia.

Nostalgia, sure. But I think mostly Smash Bros. Like, seriously, Smash Bros is the only reason GC controllers have been made compatible with Wii U and Switch.

The GameCube controller was a ton better than the N64,

That's like saying being *redacted* on is better than having *redacted* forced down *redacted* and pulled out *redacted* all before being *redacted*

Because you filling in the blanks yourselves is probably far more horrific than anything I could say.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
It had Hyrule Warriors. That counts, right?
Hmm...actually, yeah, that probably should count. At least half anyway. It's a spinoff, but a solid spinoff. And it got the HD ports so that probably counts for at least another half.
Then why didn't the GameCube do better?
...Yeah, okay, my theory is junk, I'll admit it.

Although, I will say, it seems like the Gamecube is more fondly remembered than the Wii U (or Virtual Boy) is. I mean, give it time, I guess, but still.

The Gamecube also lacked internet connectivity. You COULD buy the seperate Gamecube Internet Adapter, but almost none of the games actually used it. (The same was true of the early PS2 models, but they did eventually add it in the main machines). This was the era when online play was JUST becoming relevant to consoles, like the PS2 and XBox, with titles like Halo. And Nintendo's never really caught up with the competition in that area, possibly by design.

Last edited:

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Honestly one thing that really confuses me when talking about Nintendo is that when talking about backwards compatibility, people seem to forget their entire history pre-Switch.

Like I'm pretty active on this other gaming forum and whenever people make threads like 'Do you expect the Switch successor to be backwards compatible?', you get responses like 'It's Nintendo, so don't count on it'

It's like...the same Nintendo where the Game Boy Color was backwards compatible with the entire Game Boy library? Where the Game Boy Advance (except for the Game Boy Micro) was backwards compatible with the entire GB and GBC library? Where the Nintendo DS (except for the DSi) was backwards compatible with the entire GBA library? Where the 3DS was backwards compatible with the entire DS library? Where the Wii (except for the Family Edition and Wii Mini) was backwards compatible with the entire GameCube library? Where the Wii U, to it's literal detriment as a console in terms of hardware, was entirely backwards compatible with the entire Wii library and literally had access to the Wii Shop Channel (until that shut down) so you could still buy Wii Virtual Console Games and WiiWare games on the Wii U (and if you used homebrew, can actually run GameCube games natively)?

You don't expect backwards compatibility from that Nintendo?

Ungnome

Citizen
Heck, wasn't it discovered that if it wasn't for the change in disk drives that the WiiU was perfectly capable of running GameCube software, only needing a few changes in the firmware to remap controls.

Looks like I missed the last part of your post, Viola, doh!

I'm pretty sure the SNES was originally intended to be able to run NES/Famicom games. It's probably the main reason they used the processor they did and MIGHT be why the system stuck with that 8 bit data bus, which ended up being the SNES's Achilles Heel.

Last edited:

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
Just remember.. The Wii U was such a bad idea...

That sony is copying it.

1688524585865.png

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Don't understand the Gamecube controller dislike, only real downsides to me were the single Z button and the teeny D-pad.

Ungnome

Citizen
Button layout was the bigger issue, especially for certain genres. There's a reason why Nintendo went back to the diamond layout and why no one else adopted the GC layout.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Just remember.. The Wii U was such a bad idea...

That sony is copying it.

View attachment 15044
Literally everybody is mocking Sony for this, so what exactly is the point your making here?

(Also uhh you kind of have to be ignoring the big Switch shaped elephant in the room if you think this Sony copying the Wii U of all things)

I like the SNES option of using a combination of convex and concave button tops myself. Shame no one else has done that.
??????

s-l1600.jpg

I know you're talking about the NA SNES controller, I just hate everything about the North American SNES design.

Top Bottom