The Nintendo Thread of Jumping, Slashing, and Home Decorating

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Yup, Mario Wonder(glad they finally ditched the New SMB aesthetic to some extent) and the Mario RPG remake are definites for me.

Looking at Star Ocean and the new Wario Ware game too.

Really wasn't expecting Nintendo to go with an ELEPHANT themed power up but glad they did, just for the wackyness factor alone.
(Now I just have to figure out how to distinguish between Super Mario World and Super Mario Wonder in abbreviated forms)

Blot

Citizen
Detective Pikachu was such a complete snoozefest I thought it was a port until they said after the trailer it was a sequel.

Glitch

Citizen
I've got to wonder, how are they doing Arkham Knight on Switch, streamed is my first guess but if they've actually ported it I'll be impressed.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I've got to wonder, how are they doing Arkham Knight on Switch, streamed is my first guess but if they've actually ported it I'll be impressed.
That’s the big question. Knight reportedly runs on Unreal Engine 3 (same as the first two), so my inclination is that it should be a full on port to the platform. As is, the footage during the direct looked a bit “smeary” when it came to Knight, like what tends to happen with a LOT of Switch ports.

If the Switch can handled id Tech 6 and 7 caliber games with a reasonable degree of success, the UE3 based Arkham Knight should be doable.

Ungnome

Citizen
The engine alone doesn't mean something can be reasonably ported. Unreal 5 is available for use on the Switch for instance. In this case they might be able to get away with downscaled textures. Knight was developed for systems with 8 gigs of ram, the Switch only has 4, so compromises have to be made somewhere. Texture quality is the obvious spot to do it. There's also the processing power difference between the AMD x64 cores in the PS4/XBox One and the mobile-centric ARM cores in the Switch which, depending on the game's logic, could present problems.

Glitch

Citizen
Seems it is being ported:
You get Asylum on the cart then download City and Knight.
I guess this is a case of new techniques in the past eight years allowing this port to happen, it will have a visual downgrade but it's happening.

Regardless, I much prefer City over the other two, Knight's driving sections ruined the game for me and I figure Asylum and City will be the original UE3 versions maybe at 1080p and I'd love it if they had Physx to add to the atmosphere.

Shadewing

Citizen
Seems it is being ported:
You get Asylum on the cart then download City and Knight.
I guess this is a case of new techniques in the past eight years allowing this port to happen, it will have a visual downgrade but it's happening.

Regardless, I much prefer City over the other two, Knight's driving sections ruined the game for me and I figure Asylum and City will be the original UE3 versions maybe at 1080p and I'd love it if they had Physx to add to the atmosphere.

Yeah, I seen a fair amount of people predicting that Knight at least would take a big graphical hit, mostly in the textures, to be able to fit. So it doesn't surprise me. Besides, I don't mind these version not looking as nice as the non-portable ones; becuase well them being portable is the big draw. I'm fine with the trade-off since I also own the other versions anyways. I just wish they'd acknowledge and re-release Origins. It's not a bad game, an a re-release with all the bug fixing they did would show that.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen

Same when it comes to Knights driving sections. I think it says something that I actually finished the other Arkham games (including Origins) but just couldn't with Knight. I do blame that squarely on driving sections.

As far as the Nintendo ports...it's hard to say "I already have the originals, why would I get this" considering I have the Mass Effect Legendary Edition, Skyrim in 3 different ways, all the Zelda HD version, etc. ect. ect. But honestly, that's the feeling I'm getting here is that I already own and have played the originals. I'm j not feeling any pull to buy them again.

Shadewing

Citizen
I own the original games on various PS consoles, the PC ports, I might as well get this collection.

Glitch

Citizen
In regards to another collection, it's funny how the last PS brand portable system was unveiled with a tech demo of Metal Gear Solid 4, well if Master Collection volume 2 rumours are true, you could well be playing Metal Gear Solid 4 on a portable system - and beyond that, maybe Metal Gear Solid 5.

Glitch

Citizen
I knew it, I bought a Switch Oled weeks ago and rumours are Nintendo will have a portable PS4 soon! They'll probably unveil it in August: 4 tflops Switch 2, fully backwards compatible, 8 or 12GB LPDDR5 RAM, Tegra T239. You can bet they'll have updates for boosting their 900p Switch library (namely Pikmin 4, Tears of the Kingdom and Metroid Prime Remastered) to 1080p or 1440p HDR games.

Ungnome

Citizen
Switch 2 rumors have been floating around since 2019 at the very least. The Switch IS getting rather long in the tooth, though and with Switch games running better on the Steam Deck than they do on the official hardware, I'm sure Nintendo execs are looking at releasing SOMETHING in the next year or two.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
Switch 2 rumors have been floating around since 2019 at the very least. The Switch IS getting rather long in the tooth, though and with Switch games running better on the Steam Deck than they do on the official hardware, I'm sure Nintendo execs are looking at releasing SOMETHING in the next year or two.

Funny that I can confirm a lot of the games people claim work better on steam deck.. do infact.. NOT work better.

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
I'm so goddamn tired of Switch Pro/2/kumquat rumors at this point that I halfway hope they pull a WiiU again entirely out of spite.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
You mean since launch. I mean, seriously, people were talking up “Switch Pro” rumors before the damn system was even out. And since then, they just haven’t stopped.

Did Nintendo, perhaps, pencil in some sort of mid-life upgrade? Wouldn’t surprise me. As nice as the OLED update was, I can’t help shake the feeling Nintendo was looking to give it a bit more “oomph” to make best of use of that glorious screen.

Top Bottom