The Nintendo Thread of Jumping, Slashing, and Home Decorating

Glitch

Citizen
I did some more reading and it's all based on an E-mail from Activision blizzard CEO to Nintendo saying they can do something compelling for next gen switch as it's closer in performance to gen 8 consoles which are Xbox One and PS4, IMO people may be reading way to much into it. I also think gen 8 also includes PS4 Pro and Xbox One X but that E-mail could have been speculative.

I still think we're close so maybe we'll see something October and it'll be available for purchase next year.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
It comes from Bobby saying in court.. that he has no idea what it is.. but since they were able to do things on the PS4 and Xbox one he was sure they could do switch.

Which is like No effing duh. You guys put CoD on the fricken DS.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think he meant in terms of power.
Oh, okay.

I'm thinking not. Seems like the last time a Nintendo platform was more powerful than its contemporaneous hardware was the GameCube. IIRC, Wii U was weaker than the 360 and PS3.

Or maybe that was just the GamePad stuff eating away at resources, I forget. I seem to recall it being somewhat comparable, but not quite there.

So I'm skeptical a Switch 2 would match the power of those, but I could be wrong.

Glitch

Citizen
Didn't help that it launched with some underwhelming games, they relied on third parties for the launch and a 2D Mario game.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Well, PS4 isn't exactly a contemporary anymore. My memory of WiiU is that it came out with power only slightly better than PS3 and X-Box 360 just as Sony and Microsoft were a short ways away from rolling out the PS4 and X-Box One. I could be totally wrong about that. It's just my aging memory's idea of kinda what happened.

I do remember my first purchase was going to be the Wii U version of Mass Effect 3 until I saw I could get the entire trilogy for the same price on PS3. So I got that for PS3 and Ninja Gaiden 3 for WiiU.

I absolutely loved my Wii U. It was a great Zelda machine with it's HD upgrades. I'd still probably play it now if not for such a bulky controller. It's a great system. I think it's main problems (like Glitch said) was over reliance on 3rd parties, but most especially was simply crappy promotion. For a while, even the gaming community was confused about whether it was it's own thing or just an accessory for the Wii. They really needed a different name for it.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
The tablet was great for 2p mode and maps so the main screen wouldn't get cluttered.

Caldwin

Citizen
Oh, it was definitely useful, especially for games with item menus and maps like Zelda. And when the Wii U was the main console I used, I didn't even think much of it. But then I got used to more normally sized controllers with the Switch and going back to the Wii U felt cumbersome after that.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
Didn't help that it launched with some underwhelming games, they relied on third parties for the launch and a 2D Mario game.

They literally did that because 3RD parties whined that they couldn't compete with Nintendo games.. So nIntendo literally said "Okay.. we'll give you this whole section of time to put out games, no competition." And third parties were like "But we need you to prove this!"

Wereas when the PS3 was failing badly the third parties were still "PUMP OUT GAMES ON THE SYSTEM! WE'RE GOING TO MAKE IT SUCCEED DAMNIT!!!!"

HalfWolf

Citizen
Well, PS4 isn't exactly a contemporary anymore. My memory of WiiU is that it came out with power only slightly better than PS3 and X-Box 360 just as Sony and Microsoft were a short ways away from rolling out the PS4 and X-Box One. I could be totally wrong about that. It's just my aging memory's idea of kinda what happened.

I do remember my first purchase was going to be the Wii U version of Mass Effect 3 until I saw I could get the entire trilogy for the same price on PS3. So I got that for PS3 and Ninja Gaiden 3 for WiiU.

I absolutely loved my Wii U. It was a great Zelda machine with it's HD upgrades. I'd still probably play it now if not for such a bulky controller. It's a great system. I think it's main problems (like Glitch said) was over reliance on 3rd parties, but most especially was simply crappy promotion. For a while, even the gaming community was confused about whether it was it's own thing or just an accessory for the Wii. They really needed a different name for it.
It's understandable that you have fond memories of the Wii U and appreciate its HD upgrades, particularly for Zelda games. The Wii U did have some strengths, but it also faced certain challenges. One aspect that contributed to its mixed reception was its relatively underpowered hardware compared to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox 360. Additionally, the timing of its release coincided with the impending launch of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, which offered more advanced features and capabilities.

Regarding your personal experience with game purchases, it seems you opted for the PS3 version of Mass Effect 3 due to the availability of the entire trilogy at the same price. This highlights one of the factors that can influence consumer decisions in choosing a particular gaming platform.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
The Wii U's power level was actually...complicated and really just demonstrates how much of a clusterfuck of bad design that system was.

The CPU was basically dogshit by 2012 standards because it was basically three overclocked Wii CPUs, which itself was basically just an overclocked GameCube CPU.

The GPU was, on paper, slightly worse than that of the PS3 and 360 but because of how technology advanced, it was actually twice as powerful as the GPUs of those systems in practice Except because of the weak CPU, devs would often offload code to the GPU, bringing it back down to PS360 levels (or even below those consoles).

Anyways this is why you'd sometimes get ports of PS360 games that looked or ran worse on the Wii U compared to those systems and yet you'd sometimes get ports that looked and ran better, it really all just depended on how well the developer knew the hardware. But that's still not good, is it? It's not good that a console released 6-7 years after previous consoles doesn't run all games better than the older systems. (I mean dogshit ports will always be a thing but you know)

It's understandable that you have fond memories of the Wii U and appreciate its HD upgrades, particularly for Zelda games. The Wii U did have some strengths, but it also faced certain challenges. One aspect that contributed to its mixed reception was its relatively underpowered hardware compared to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox 360. Additionally, the timing of its release coincided with the impending launch of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, which offered more advanced features and capabilities.

Regarding your personal experience with game purchases, it seems you opted for the PS3 version of Mass Effect 3 due to the availability of the entire trilogy at the same price. This highlights one of the factors that can influence consumer decisions in choosing a particular gaming platform.
Any particular reason why all three of your posts are clearly 'written' using ChatGPT lmao?

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

Sorry, should have specified that I meant the PS3 and 360 as the contemporaries, since those were the hardware that was out when the Wii U was released and were the most comparable, spec-wise.

They literally did that because 3RD parties whined that they couldn't compete with Nintendo games.. So nIntendo literally said "Okay.. we'll give you this whole section of time to put out games, no competition." And third parties were like "But we need you to prove this!"

Wereas when the PS3 was failing badly the third parties were still "PUMP OUT GAMES ON THE SYSTEM! WE'RE GOING TO MAKE IT SUCCEED DAMNIT!!!!"
Thanks for saying that so I don't have to. XD

And I don't see how that move affected the Wii U's power/capabilities, anyway.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
There's also the problem that the Wii U defaults or randomizes a lot of story choices from the previous games, resulting in multiple characters being in terrible shape or outright dead, which can lock you out of a lot of story paths. It also never got any of the single-player DLC except for From Ashes and the Extended Cut, so there's chunks of content missing.

Caldwin

Citizen
It really didn't make sense to me. I even asked the guy working there..."so I can spend $60 on the Wii U version and just get the third game, or for the exact same price I could get the entire trilogy for PS3. Why in the world would I buy this one for Wii U?" He could only shrug.

But as far as what influences my decisions on any particular platform...that's a complicated matter with quite a few factors.

There's Mass Effect which I could get much more content elsewhere for the exact same price. Arkham Asylum was better on the Wii U (so I've heard but never played it myself), but I'd already bought it months before on the PS3 before it ever came out for Wii U. Timing just didn't work for them. This combined with a bunch of other games that straight up never came out for Gamecube/Wii/WiiU is why I got a PS3 in the first place.

But Nintendo will always be home to Zelda, Metroid and Pokemon...so...

Last edited:

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
The real biggest problem with the Wii U is the fact that they called it the Wii U in a time when pretty much everybody had stopped giving a damn about the original Wii.

Even if they had marketed it better to make it clear from the start that this was the successor console and not just a tablet controller accessory for the Wii, the Wii's time had already passed among the general consumer public.

Wii sales started to decline in 2010 (they dropped by 21% compared to 2009's sales, for the record) and that's when they should've had a successor console ready to go, while the sales are on decline but people are still aware of the system. Not in 2012 when no one cares about it anymore.

Ironbite4

Citizen
The marketing also didn't help the Wii U. I forget what the slogan was but it should've been "Wii would like to play with U".

Ironbite-instead of whatever forgettable slogan they went with.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
The marketing also didn't help the Wii U. I forget what the slogan was but it should've been "Wii would like to play with U".

Ironbite-instead of whatever forgettable slogan they went with.
I think it was 'How U Will Play Next'.

I dunno Nintendo looking at the sales, the Wii U was very much not how we played next.

I actually did enjoy the Wii U but I've already seen people try to rewrite history and act like it was an underappreciated gem and no, no it wasn't. It was a bad console that had some great games on it but unfortunately the great games it had aren't enough to overcome all the other problems the system had.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I blame the lack of a exclusive Zelda title on the system for the Wii U's downfall.

Seriously, it's the only Nintendo console to NEVER have a exclusive Zelda game at any point in it's life cycle.

...Other than the Virtual Boy, but that just helps prove my point.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
And those came later. Rereleases don't mean the original release didn't happen.

(Previous post was also facetious in the first place, but.)

Top Bottom