The Nintendo Thread of Jumping, Slashing, and Home Decorating

Shadewing

Citizen
I wouldn't consider it Next Gen, but I do consider GBC a significant upgrade; its kinda like if we were talking about TVs and you went from BW TVs to Flatscreens, imo.

Ironbite4

Citizen
I don't think the Wii U could have been marketed that simply. The Wii's marketing worked because even non gamers could easily understand what they could do with a Wii and why they would want to do it. It wasn't always easy for gamers to understand what to do with the Wii U controller and why we were supposed to want to do it, let alone that non gamer audience.
I think you're overthinking it like Nintendo did. Simple concepts connect with the market very well. And "Wii would like to play with U" is as simple as it gets and rolls off the tongue just like "Wii would like to play". Which was why during it's lifetime my brain couldn't fathom how they messed up the advertising that bad after the genius that was the Wii's marketing campaign.

Ironbite-but then again, it might have been as simple as Japanese marketing executives don't get English word play.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
(GB Color is arguable, but I'm not sure anyone considers it the next gen from GB)

It had exclusive games, so I'd say yes it counts as next gen. There were no games that worked on a GBA SP but not the regular GBA.

I think you're overthinking it like Nintendo did. Simple concepts connect with the market very well. And "Wii would like to play with U" is as simple as it gets and rolls off the tongue just like "Wii would like to play". Which was why during it's lifetime my brain couldn't fathom how they messed up the advertising that bad after the genius that was the Wii's marketing campaign.

Ironbite-but then again, it might have been as simple as Japanese marketing executives don't get English word play.

The problem is the Wii U itself wasn't a simple concept. You need to think about it like the clueless non-gamer that the Wii appealed to. The market that has no idea what it means to play a videogame, wouldn't have a guess as to which button to try first, and will not even try to understand as you explain it. The Wii could get away with a simple slogan because even that non-gamer market found it visually obvious what the actors in a commercial were doing with it, and they thought it looked fun.

That market wasn't going to upgrade to the new console just because they were told that it existed. They needed to know what they could do with it that they couldn't already do with their Wii and why they would want to do it, but as soon as they heard the words "asymmetric gameplay" they were already out.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Also, trying to appeal to the non-gamers they courted with the Wii was never going to work because, contrary to their intentions, most of those people hadn't actually on to buy many games for it in the first place. A lot of them only used it to play Wii Sports and maybe one or two other casual party games. Nintendo already knew this by the time the WiiU was ready to launch—and it can't have been good for their bottom line, because license fees is where the real money is with consoles—but for some reason they chose to ignore it.

And even if they had a chance of retaining that audience, the simplest thing they could have done differently was brand it as the WiiHD. Lack of HD support didn't hurt the Wii much because of how many people hadn't upgraded their TVs yet in 2006, but by 2012, pretty much everyone had, so at least they could have courted the sort of people who were upgrading to Blu-Ray players. Of course, the smartest thing to do would have been to never release the console we got under any name, because the touchpad ate up like 50% of the tech budget for a feature that benefited maybe 1% of games. Neither the supply nor the demand for asymmetric games ever materialized, and all the other games that used the touchpad for something (except StarFox Zero) would eventually prove it was unnecessary by being ported to other platforms with no issue.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It had exclusive games, so I'd say yes it counts as next gen. There were no games that worked on a GBA SP but not the regular GBA.
Okay, I can follow that logic, but the list you've got still has GB Pocket (no exclusive games) and Switch Lite (ditto), so... I don't get it.

But, back to the main point at hand: I had a feeling someone would bring up GB Color, which was still a nine-year gap, rather than the 12 from GB to GBA. Still pretty considerable.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Look at the world around you, what makes you think a just god ever existed in the first place?
Well, the Virtual Boy exists, and a just god would never allow it. Therefore the existence of the Virtual Boy disproves the existence of God.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
What about the fact that it never caught on and died a swift death?

Man created it. God shook his head and asked man what he thought he was doing.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
What was that famous warning someone allegedly gave Napoleon before the battle of Waterloo? "Man proposes and God deposes"? Something like that.

Glitch

Citizen
Virtual Boy's failure is one of the things that set VR back too.
Maybe a Virtual Switch would help repair things, though Nintendo said they've no interest in doing a metaverse, I can certainly imagine Nintendoland, Breath of the Wild and Metroid Prime with VR modes.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Just wanted to circle around to this. I'm pretty caught up with Dragon Warrior XI S right now, but I did get this digitally last along along with the expansion pass.

I was really mostly just pressing buttons. I'll have to drag myself away from Dragon Quest (did I say Dragon Warrior before? *looks* Heck with it! I'm leaving it.) so I can actually learn to play this. But never let it be said that sprites are dead. This game's a beaut!

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Virtual Boy's failure is one of the things that set VR back too.
Maybe a Virtual Switch would help repair things, though Nintendo said they've no interest in doing a metaverse, I can certainly imagine Nintendoland, Breath of the Wild and Metroid Prime with VR modes.
The thing about VR is that it's a bit like graphical upgrades: There are loads of experiences are enhanced by it, but very few are truly impossible without it—but once it's out, the vast majority of what's released for it isn't made backward-compatible with what came before. And in VR's case, the vast majority of those fall into the middle ground where, yes, technically you could have released it as a non-VR title, but nobody would want it because it's so bare-bones that it needs the gimmick of 3D immersion to be worth anything at all.

And while, on one hand, if anyone can be trusted to release a VR experience that's not just a tech demo (especially now that the rest of the industry has already run that market into the ground), it's Nintendo... they're also the most likely to make a regular AAA game that could have worked equally well as a non-VR title but ended up being VR-exclusive anyway just because. And it's likely we'd end up with a repeat of the Wii where there was a mix of both.

But you mentioned NintendoLand, and that reminded me how one of the (depressingly few) things Sony ended up doing with the first-generation PSVR was asymmetrical multiplayer, much like what NintendoLand had except with a first-person camera. The Playroom, I think they called it? There was also that one split-output game on PC that the Game Grumps played, where the one with the headset tries to pick out the other player from a crowd of wandering NPCs. And we know that Nintendo likes inventing new hardware setups that are also specifically geared toward supporting ports of older games. In the same way the Switch's Joy-Cons were made with gyros sophisticated enough to almost emulate the Wii's motion controls (and the Wii Remote and Joy-Cons being able to double as NES and Super Nintendo pads, respectively), I could see them wanting to be able to bring back the WiiU's dual-screen mode for the Switch's successor. And the easiest way to do that would be to replace the dock with a wireless HDMI dongle like the Chromecast and Steam Link, so players can just hold the entire New Switch in their hands, screen and all, as they play a game on the TV. Or snap off the Joy-Cons and slide the screen into a headset dock... while still streaming a second feed to the TV so onlookers can see what the player is seeing... or what they can't.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
It's that time of year! Sales and more sales! Nintendo has a big Cyber sale going on. Nothing of significance I noticed, in terms of particular discounts. Most are hitting their prior lows. But that doesn't mean there aren't deals to be had!
Grid Autosport (a port of the PS3 era game) is $18, the cheapest I've seen. This and Alien Isolation (also from Feral Interactive) are some of the more technically impressive titles on the platform. And Grid is about the only significant car-sim game on the platform. Gear.Club is more arcade oriented, also pretty solid, and the first entry is less than $3.
Doom Slayers Collection is available for $13, features Doom 1, 2, 3, 64, and 2016. Doom 2016 is retailing for $12 by itself.
Nintendo has some of its titles with a piddly $20 discount.
Newer titles like Pac World, Klonoa, and Sonic Origins are $20.
Red Faction Re-Marstered is running just $6, as are a number of older titles like Tales of Vespiria, Stubbs the Zombie.
The Metro games are just $5 (Lost Light was running $2.50 in a prior sale), and also stand with Feral and Panic Button's Bethesda ports as among the more technically impressive games on the platform.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
There's a new direct!

Pikmin 4-The new pupper's cute. Pikmin isn't usually my thing, though. All the Arlos shall rejoice, though.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Expansion-Yeah, Volume 4 is probably going to be pretty cool. More story is always good.

Dead Cells Return to Castlevania-I guess if Konami's too busy with pachinko, this is the closest we'll get to a official Castlevania for a while. It's looking pretty good.

Tron Identity-I guess they're trying to hype up that new movie early. Hopefully, the story's good if it's as text-heavy as the trailer makes it look.

Ghost Trick-Always good to see a cult classic make a return.

Deca Police-Well, this sure has style. Looks like it's worth keeping a eye on.

Bayonetta Origins Cereza and the Lost Demon-I really don't know what to make of this game. So...I'm waiting on reviews on this one.

Splatoon 3 Expansion-So...is Inkopolis JUST a new base, or are they going to basically port the entire first game, missions and all, to Splatoon 3?

Disney Illusion Island-It might be fun...time will tell. It's giving me Rayman vibes...it'll probably be a LOT easier, though.

Fire Emblem Engage Expansion-Sounds like we're getting another larger chunk of story later on. Better than nothing.

Harmony The Fall of Reverie-Now THIS looks like it might have a interesting story.

Octopath Traveller 2-Pretty much already a lock for me, personally.

Sea of Stars-This is looking pretty good. Some nice pixel art.

Etrian Odyssey 1-3 Collection-Well, that's hundreds of hours of content, right there. And it has auto-mapping, which kind of takes away some of the fun...but it's probably what most people will want to use.

Advanced Wars 1-2 Reboot Camp-Hopefully this actually gets to release.

Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe-Oh...they're giving Magolor his own story...the lore tempts me...

Gameboy and GBA games are coming to Nintendo Online-IT'S ABOUT TIME!!! This is probably the biggest news of the Direct. SML2...but no SML 1 at launch, though? SML2 IS the better game by far...but it's just a weird omission, even if it is a little ugly. I guess they have to drag out the drip feed of new games, somehow. Now...will we be able to access the Super Game Boy versions of these games?

GBA being exclusive to the NSO Expansion...was probably predictable. SMB3 will have the e-reader levels, too.

Metroid Prime Remaster-This would be a big surprise if it hadn't been leaked like 2 years ago...but it being available TODAY kind of makes up for it. Is this why we don't have Metroid Prime 4, yet? I honestly can't tell how much of a remaster this game is, the original game looked really good back in the day. Is this just a up-rez, or did they basically remake the entire game?

Master Detective Archives Rain Code-Again, it's got a lot of style. Worth keeping a eye on. I don't envy it coming AFTER the Metroid Prime Remaster, though.

Baten Kaitos Collection-I don't know who asked for this, but I might be down for it.

Professor Layton and the New World of Steam-A BUNCH of old friends are coming back to visit this year, aren't they?

Blanc-Still has a really interesting art style.

Have A Nice Death-Might be worth keeping a eye on.

Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom-They're still saying it's coming in May. Good. That art book is tempting...but it's probably already sold out, so *shrug*

Why is the physical version of Metroid Prime Remaster, Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe, and Octopath Travller 2 all coming out on basically the same day, though?! UGH!
That...had a few surprises. Not a lot of BIG games, but a few.

I know some people are thinking we'll get a Switch 2 next year, which means this year might be a bit light. I think...there might be some truth to that. We're seeing a lot of third party stuff, but Nintendo's doing mostly DLC.

I assume Pokemon will get it's own Direct, as is tradition at this point. I'm expecting bug fixes, Pokemon Home compatibility, and DLC...hopefully, in that order.

Last edited:

M. Virion

If Hell is forever, then Heaven must be a lie
Citizen
Is this just a up-rez, or did they basically remake the entire game?

From the comparison videos I've watched it's legitimately closer to remake than remaster. Unwavering 60fps, some new models, all new textures, a bunch of new meshes. New lighting, etc. I'm honestly really, really shocked how much work and effort went into it, especially when Nintendo is, for once, not charging full price for a remaster.

Top Bottom