The Nintendo Thread of Jumping, Slashing, and Home Decorating

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
L1/R1/L2/R2 makes the most sense, but Sony's probably got that locked down legally. I can at least follow bumper vs. trigger, but ZL/ZR and L/R somehow just makes my brain shit itself. Probably all the years spent with the SNES/N64, associating the long, narrow shoulder buttons with just L and R in a Nintendo context.
Nah, I'm pretty sure Sony has no legal ownership on how they label their shoulder buttons. Otherwise I can't imagine 8BitDo would be able to get away with labelling their shoulder buttons as L, R, L2, and R2 on all their controllers (except the specifically Xbox-branded ones which use the Xbox LB, RB, LT, and RT labelling instead).

It's probably each company just chooses to do their own 'thing' for how they label and refer to the shoulder buttons rather than them actually having any ownership of the specific labels they use.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I just remembered, the triggers were also dual-action like the Steam Controller. They really were ahead of their time with that one, although I don't know if any games used the "Squeeze to toggle precise aiming mode, click to fire" that Valve liked to promote as a possible use of them.

Glitch

Citizen
I only recall them controlling the zoom function in Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes cutscenes.

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Nah, I'm pretty sure Sony has no legal ownership on how they label their shoulder buttons. Otherwise I can't imagine 8BitDo would be able to get away with labelling their shoulder buttons as L, R, L2, and R2 on all their controllers (except the specifically Xbox-branded ones which use the Xbox LB, RB, LT, and RT labelling instead).

It's probably each company just chooses to do their own 'thing' for how they label and refer to the shoulder buttons rather than them actually having any ownership of the specific labels they use.
...for having two of the damn 8bitdo things and how much I talk them up to people, you'd think I'd have noticed that, but that's egg on my face. In my defense, though, game industry people trying to lock down stuff just so other people can't use it without paying through the nose for it is pretty par for the course.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Yea, I think about the only things Sony owns are the symbols they use and the style of their D-Pad(which itself was a way to get around Nintendo's old D-Pad patents, which thaknkfully expired in 2006)

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yea, I think about the only things Sony owns are the symbols they use and the style of their D-Pad(which itself was a way to get around Nintendo's old D-Pad patents, which thaknkfully expired in 2006)
I don't think they even own most of the symbols. IIRC, some are just commonplace in Japan, like circle for accept and X for reject/cancel. I forget about the other two, though.

1688887803097.png

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Fair enough, I do think they trademarked the color and symbol layout, though.

wentwood

Citizen
I picked up Mega Man Legacy Collection 2. Also Mega Man 11.

Now I own 19 Mega Man games with the X series.

I have Mega Man X 1 - 8 on Play Station 2.

Mega Man 9 - 11 were the only 3 games I was interested in to complete my set.

I can also play the first 12 Final Fantasy games due to my PS mini and PS 2.

I finished most of NES Final Fantasy III on Android and I Pad.

Will get back to XIII once I replace my PS 3 HD.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I picked up Mega Man Legacy Collection 2. Also Mega Man 11.

Now I own 19 Mega Man games with the X series.

I have Mega Man X 1 - 8 on Play Station 2.

Mega Man 9 - 11 were the only 3 games I was interested in to complete my set.
I recommend keeping an eye out for Zero/ZX Legacy Collection if it goes on sale. They're good games, though tough, but the collection has features to mitigate that.

Likewise, if X7 and X8 are rougher than you'd like (X7 for sure here, and parts of X8, namely the damn vehicle sections for me), then MMXLC2 has functions that help, too.

And, uh, not for nothin', but... if we ever get some sort of Mega Man Legends Legacy Collection, I'd recommend taking a look at that, too. ;)

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I usually get X/O on the PS controller and A/B on the Switch mixed up. Usually when I've been playing the Switch for awhile and go back to a PS game. On auto pilot, I'll hit the right button to accept but it cancels instead. Doesn't take too long to adjust back. I like the Accept button being on the right and the Cancel on the bottom like on Nintendo controllers. Somehow that makes more sense to me.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I added a nice little game to my switch collection this weekend. My brother got me the Crash Bandicoot collection for the switch. I never played the game back in the day, so this should be a fun game to try out.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I added a nice little game to my switch collection this weekend. My brother got me the Crash Bandicoot collection for the switch. I never played the game back in the day, so this should be a fun game to try out.
My advice: If you haven't played it already, then whatever you think of this, don't write off Crash Bandicoot 4.

I played the N. Sane Trilogy when it came out on Switch, and I enjoyed it... sorta. Biggest problem for me was the short number of lives, and having to redo the same portions of a stage over and over again, just to have another attempt at that one spot that killed me. Because these games are tough.

Crash 4, however, has a mode that's basically unlimited lives, so I could just keep working at a part of a level until I "got good" enough to actually get past it. I enjoyed myself FAR more. And that's without taking into account the other characters you can play as, which I had a blast with.

If I'd been asked, I'd have suggested starting with 4 first, but since you're here now, well, I hope you enjoy it! There's a lot there to enjoy! But that one aspect hampered mine, and as I said, whatever you think, unless you just hate it all, don't write off 4 on account of it.

Frankly, if they'd just add that mode to the trilogy, I'd dive right back in. But, alas...

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Tomorrow is a new Nintendo Direct! Reportedly the focus will be on the later holiday season and winter line ups. Per usual, these days, dormant franchise F-zero is talked about in the salt mines of rumors.

The rumor mills are also churning overtime on reports that Nintendo showed the NGS (Next Gen Switch), or at least an approximation, running Final Fantasy 7 Remake and a 4K, 60 FPS Tears of the Kingdom demo. Reportedly, the NGS will continue running Nvidia tech, but possibly an SOC based on the Ada Lovelace architecture (used in the RTX 40xx graphics cards), allowing for the use of DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling).
Supposedly, both the shown games were “looking comparable to PS5 titles”.

Speculation is that we might see Nintendo preview the device this fall, ahead of a spring release (like with the original Switch, which had an October reveal stream, a January “deep dive”, culminating in a late March release).

spikeriley

Citizen
Tomorrow is a new Nintendo Direct! Reportedly the focus will be on the later holiday season and winter line ups. Per usual, these days, dormant franchise F-zero is talked about in the salt mines of rumors.

The rumor mills are also churning overtime on reports that Nintendo showed the NGS (Next Gen Switch), or at least an approximation, running Final Fantasy 7 Remake and a 4K, 60 FPS Tears of the Kingdom demo. Reportedly, the NGS will continue running Nvidia tech, but possibly an SOC based on the Ada Lovelace architecture (used in the RTX 40xx graphics cards), allowing for the use of DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling).
Supposedly, both the shown games were “looking comparable to PS5 titles”.

Speculation is that we might see Nintendo preview the device this fall, ahead of a spring release (like with the original Switch, which had an October reveal stream, a January “deep dive”, culminating in a late March release).

Welp, and now, it's proven to be true.

Although I bet a lot of F-Zero fans are going to get salty that it's a battle royale game.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
More Splatoon DLC. Not really my thing, but it does look stylish.

Oh, Mario vs Donkey Kong is back! It's been a while since we've gotten anything from this franchise. I really can't tell if this is basically a remake or all new stuff, they make it sound more like a remake, but it's nice to have a old franchise back.

Prince of Persia The Lost Crown looks okay. It's not blowing me away, but it might be a solid game.

Oh no, a Spy x Family game. That's too cute. It doesn't look like the most exciting game, but it looks REALLY cozy and wholesome.

Super Mario RPG's new cutscenes are looking REALLY nice.

Oh, a remake of Another Code/Trace Memories from the DS days. That's a deep cut. Surprised that they remade it. And they're including the sequel. This might be a pickup.

Princess Peach...SHOWTIME! (They better include a level where Peach pilots a Mech...or has Mecha Musume parts added to her ala Lyrical Nanoha) It's just like everyone guessed, Peach has different outfit changes for new abilities. Swordfighter is probably a nod to Tezuka's Princess Knight manga, among other old magical girl staples. I wonder if ALL the outfits will be references to different magical girls throughout history? Detective Peach...that's Milky Holmes. Patisserie Peach..that's Pretty Cure A La Mode or Motto Ojamajo Doremi (S3) or Yumeiro Patissiere . Kung Fu Peach...that's Devil Hunter Yohko. And if you look at the very end of the video, you can see a kunai on one of the stage select doors implying a Ninja Peach...for Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl. Mind, there's very few genres that magical girls haven't touched over the years, so it's possible they're all just coincidences, but...not likely. They're at least nodding to different magical girl subgenres. I'd put money on getting a Star/Outer Space costume as a nod for Sailor Moon. So, yeah, this is almost definitely a buy for me. If you couldn't already tell.

Saga Emerald Beyond looks cool, but I'll be waiting on reviews.

Oh, Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered looks fun.

Detective Pikachu Returns is looking...okay. It still looks like a 3DS game that got ported to the Switch, but it might be fun.

Okay...the trailer for Trombone Champ made me laugh, so it has that going for it. It'd probably be great at parties.

Huh...a remake of the NES Contra. It feels a little pointless since we have the Contra Collection already on Switch, but I suppose some people want better graphics. It's by Wayforward, so it's bound to be good.

Unicorn Overlord looks pretty good. And it's got some good developers behind it. Definitely something to keep a eye on. There's a lot of tactical RPGs on the Switch, but this might turn out to be one of the better ones.

Luigi's Mansion 2 is still looking good.

The Nintendo Museum sounds like a neat place to visit. Hopefully, someone takes some nice pictures for those of us online.

I've avoided Amiibos for this long, I'm not starting now! I don't care how tempting some of these are!

Oh, they're doing F-Zero 99. Oh...people are either going to love or HATE this. Probably hate. Especially since, it's probably going to be a limited time game like Mario 99. And it's ONLY available for Nintendo Switch Online members. Great. Oh...the backlash that's coming. I mean...it's basically a free game, but still.

Bandle Tale doesn't do much for me, but Song of Nunu might be worth keeping a eye on. There's some nice animation in that one.

Eiyuden Chronicles! I've been looking forward to this one. I hope it's good.

Eastward Octopia! I didn't expect Eastward to get DLC. And it seems like it's Harvest Moon themed. Neat.

Wargroove 2! The first one was pretty good.

Heh. Fungus Among Us. Eeeh, they oughta be ashamed of themselves.

Hmm...so from this end summary, I'm going to guess they're planning on Pokemon SV Indigo Disc DLC to drop sometime in December.

PAPER MARIO THE THOUSAND YEAR DOOR HD!!! WHOOO!!! Oh...oh...Arlo's going to be SO happy. Part of me still wishes we got a Paper Mario Collection with the first 3 games instead, but this is still great news. I kind of wonder why Nintendo's remaking all these Mario RPGs? Could a new game be on their minds?

Last edited:

Top Bottom