Tell Your Tale Discussion Thread-Salute Our Shorts

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen

I really liked this one.

I feel bad, the new unicorn Violet Rainbow I thought was covered in mud or something, but no that's just how she looks. I don't think we've seen her before. WE might have.

Really curious as to what Izzy is apparently going to make. No idea what that first thing is, but the second is likely a heart. The crystal heart maybe?

Poor Misty. It was actually good to hear Opaline again.

I really feel with the last one and this one, they are trying to set Misty up to be a spellcaster and if so I'm all for it.

Also their little roll call thing again, but given what was going on I say if fits this time.

Kinda wish Sunny got to go in. I wonder if you can even go in if you're not a unicorn?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
TYT embracing IDW!

These ponies get to relax for one second without something happening.

Viola! Izzy already knows her. We're not going to rehash the IDW story.

TYT flexing the new budget with this wind.

I think the ears got a budget increase as well. They know what we want.

Yeah, if I got the opportunity to see my future, I'd do it.

It looks like Izzy's about to get alicorn'd.

Misty is still a wreck. She was ready to turn down the opportunity of a lifetime than face her past another second.

Okay seriously, stop doing this once an episode.

Pipp is so last season. It seems Misty is going to be the star of season 2.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This show is proof that you don't need to overdo it. It's a free 5 minute YouTube show, with probably a very modest budget, but it's generally pretty good.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Someone finally took pity on IDW and made them canon! This is probably the most recognition that IDW has ever gotten from MLP! Someone over at IDW is in tears right now. "Sempai...noticed me!"

Nothing's more relaxing than hanging out with a frog in middle of the woods.

Knowing the unicorns, that relaxing mud bath is probably filled with rotting fruit. But, that's probably really good for your mane, so it evens out.

"IZZY!" Just let it happen, Misty. It's Bridlewood.

The annual running of the Breezies. Turns out there's a sale on doll clothes, and they can't miss that!

Violette gets ACTUAL LINES! She's ascended from background character! This is going to be confusing for anyone not following the comics, though.

How does Violette know about this? I guess they're positioning her as a magic expert?

Izzy just can't resist a good mud puddle, I guess.

Oh, hey, I wonder if Misty will recognize this Mysterious Voice. Yeah, this is going to turn out to be someone, eventually. Zecora, maybe? Eh, I still think either Sunny or Misty's mom makes more sense.

"She's FIIINE. Maybe it's giving her a makeover, or superpowers, OR EATING HER BRAIN...ooh, or a friendship bracelet." Those are indeed all the available options.

A magical whirlpool looked into my heart and all I got was this T-shirt.

Violette's going to be a gardener. Didn't expect that. In other words "Cut my grass for me, kid". This Mysterious Voice is a MASTER at manipulating ponies into doing chores by making it sound like some epic destiny.

So, when are we going to see the army of mecha-ponies attacking the land in the future?

Oh no, Izzy's going to scar the Mysterious Voice. Do NOT look directly into Izzy's mind! You are NOT ready for what you find there!

Magic water, the second-best kind of water.

Wow, Izzy's going to make...a slide. And...a lollipop? A ferris wheel? Some sort of lovey dovey couple heart statue? This Mysterious Voice could use a few art lessons from Izzy.

Great, the magic water gave Izzy MORE ideas. I'm sure this will go smoothly with no comedic problems whatsoever!

Jello-cuzzi. Well, I'm sure every college-age pony would want one.

Wait a sec, where did all the Breezies go? They just left before getting THEIR future's told? Or...it's a hivemind thing?

I'm still waiting for Misty to put these pieces together. She SHOULD recognize this Voice.

Aww, poor Misty. She left before she got to the "but".

"Everypony does bad things sometimes" Yeah, I mean, who HASN'T kidnapped a child to suck out it's life essence before? Violette has some interesting weekends.

"The universe will see that...OR ELSE!" Izzy WILL beat up a cosmic level entity for a friend! If there's anyone who could come up with a way to harm a disembodied voice, it'd probably be Izzy.

D'awww...okay, that's sweet. Misty gets some more absolution for her past. I wonder if this episode was supposed to happen BEFORE the last one? It'd just make more sense to get forgiveness for her past before she gets her new destiny.

And...yeah, I guess the Breezies were just in that magical water spout. Okay, so...is the Mysterious Voice ACTUALLY the spirit of the universe or magic or...I don't know, explain?!

Did Celestia's "Alicorn Space" room gain sentience over the last few centuries? Because this is pretty similar to THAT.

I kind of thought the Breezies would sing a little song for Misty afterward, but they just "ooh" at her. Fine.

"Do I need to give the universe a talking to?" I wish someone would give a talking to OUR universe. It probably needs someone to kick it back into shape.

This entire thing is just the universe giving Misty a big hug, because the poor girl needs it.

Meanwhile, Sunny is on the phone to her agent: "Am I still the main character or not, guys? What am I? Just the smoothie girl, now? I'm the ALICORN! Doesn't that MEAN anything, anymore? I mean, what does Misty have that I don't? I mean we have this whole set up with my dad that we still have to pay off. I just think you aren't using me to my highest potential! I mean, I don't even get a sub-plot this season? Really?"

Last edited:

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
Yeah I don't follow the comics, so I had no idea who the new unicorn was.

You keep saying Misty should recognize the voice. Why? Is it a voice of someone I know and I'm just forgetting? Doesn't sound like anyone to me.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Because this Mysterious Voice is the same Mysterious Voice as the one from Misty's new Library in the last TYT episode.

Also, it's Storm from the 90s X-Men cartoon. I keep waiting for her to start ordering the wind around.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The same voice? This season just got more interesting. A presumably benevolent entity has taken an active interest in Misty, and we have no idea who it could be.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
If you look at the credits, it seems to be voiced by the same person, at least. And maybe it IS just "The Universe", but the credits ARE making it a point to call it "mysterious". And mysteries are made to be solved, eventually. So, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a reveal later on.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
So it's out, but for some reason getting it in English is taking forever. Meanwhile I've heard people have gotten it in at least Spanish, French, and German.

Seems to be about Sunny searching the ruins of Opaline's lair.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Does anyone want to watch it anyway and see if we can correctly interpret the plot before the English version comes out?

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Well, this is a twist I didn't see coming. Not having a episode this week is one thing, but having a new episode in every language but English is new. Someone didn't check the right box when they uploaded, I guess.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
It'll show up.
So it's out, but for some reason getting it in English is taking forever. Meanwhile I've heard people have gotten it in at least Spanish, French, and German.

Seems to be about Sunny searching the ruins of Opaline's lair.
Hmmm... french...

Videomaster21XX

Citizen

Don't get excited. I believe this is the French one, but I put the subs to auto translate to English and gave it a watch. I can basically understand what is going on.

So for one the thing translates alicorn to unicorn just FYI.

Sunny has a dream they are all Alicorns, but all the rest of her friends fall while she remains airborne and alone. She's upset she may be the only Alicorn left. They go to Opaline's old castle to see if Opaline had any info on other alicorns.

Opaline's racooncorn friend is throwing a party with a ton of other animals and are quite literally "Bringing down the house"

They go exploring, eventually find a tapestry that shows other Alicorns. I'm assuming this Skyros place. It also shows Twilight's cutie mark star, which I think has a special name, but I'm not sure given the bad auto translation.

Surprised Sunny didn't do her rolecall. Also, nice to know they got the Marestream working again.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Okay, what's amazing me is that the french voices don't suck. Normally these translations have outright atrocious voices: like they just grabbed whatever interns that weren't run off their feet and put them in front of microphones. These are well done, like they put they put actual thought and effort into it, and cared what the output sounds like.

Also: good story, I was wondering if they were going to investigate opalines lair. I mean, there is a detective on the team, after all.

Edit: The english one dropped into my feed this morning. So yeah, watched it twice. On the other side of that: the french cut is actually pretty good for voices and writing, so might be worth rewatching that way. I mean, if I can sit through ladybug and chat noir in the original language, I can do this.

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I'd give the French version a chance if we had proper subtitles. I liked Wakfu and LoliRock. But, Youtube's auto subs are...a last resort. But, now that we have the English version I can check out both!

Everyone's a alicorn...NO EXCEPTIONS! You WILL glow with a awesome power and you WILL like it!

Okay, Alicorn Izzy is legitimately a terrifying thought. She'd turn rivers into novelty water fountains. Bedazzle mountains. The streets would be paved with garbage!

Turns out, this was all a scam by Sunny to collect insurance money. They never should have made Sunny their beneficiary.

Meh, holes. Holes aren't THAT deadly. Sometimes you even get superpowers from them.

Yeah, this is a bad dream. Although, given how much magic STUFF has been happening lately, I don't blame her for taking it seriously. I could see her thinking this is some sort of cosmic warning, since they literally have a magical disembodied voice following them around.

"It was just a dream" And it's not over yet! Freddy Krueger jump scare time!

Zipp needs to stop walking around with food. It's a recipe for comical pratfalls.

When the last pega-snail flies...over the last crumbling cloud terminal! And the last manticore roars...at the last petrified criminal! In the shadows of her bedroom...where she woke up early that morn! They will snicker at the bed-head...of The Last Alicoooorn! I'm awaaaake! Oh, I'm awaaaaake!

I mean, Alicorns are often made, not born. So...ANYONE can literally become a alicorn, eventually. So, even if she is the last alicorn, she probably won't be forever. I guess she might not know that, though. But...this is probably setting up going to Skyros or something.

I mean, Opaline wasn't the WORST example of a alicorn Sunny could have. She still had the fundamentals down. Big castle. Big powers. Loyal racoonicorn minions. There's a skeleton that you can build off there.

Yeah, there could be PLENTY of alicorns still out there! And they might even be worse than Opaline! Wait...

Zipp always has sunglasses at the ready for sunglasses emergencies. And this IS a sunglasses emergency!

To be fair, you guys really SHOULD have been checking out this place for magical artifacts and other prisoners, anyway.

Opaline's lair WOULD make a pretty fire rave spot.

You know, their combined symbols COULD follow them in there. They might need the light. No, no, you go first, the magic sigil will wait here where it's safe.

Heh. I kind of love that there's portraits of Opaline up everywhere. The girl knew how to practice self-love.

Opaline has FALLEN! I, Rear Admiral Fluffytail, am the new ruler of Castle de Inferno!

The most important thing to take away from this is that Opaline knew about the importance of having a decent DJ booth. Sunny, you should be writing this down.

Selections from Opaline's library include..."The Common Sense Rules for World Domination" (unread), "If I Did It" by Princess Luna, "Hooves Down! A Guide to Assertiveness" by Iron Will, "How a ordinary Princess got reincarnated as a pop idol and took over another world with her song", and "My Princess, My Mistress" by Steamy Sauceshay.

"Little figurines of us...okay, well I'm unnerved." Who do YOU think Opaline shipped? You KNOW she made them kiss.

AND Opaline was into Nerf guns! No one can be TRULY evil if they enjoy Nerf!

Oh, Zipp has Opalilne's voice DOWN! She is BORN to be a evil queen! Oh...hmm...

Aw, man! She had to get that throne imported!

Racoonicorn: "...My candy..."

"This tapestry! It looks just like my dream!" What is WITH this generation and mysterious prophecy tapestries?! Who keeps KNITTING these things?! There's some grandma out there who know EVERYTHING, I swear!

"The Starscout CREST!" ...The what, now? This isn't a family crest! No one else had this symbol! Argyle's last name wasn't even Starscout, it was StarSHINE! Pony naming conventions are weird! Family members don't share the last name! Frankly, it's something that should be addressed!

They're going to bring the roof down...literally!

Okay, nice dodging animations. The budget really did go up this season.

Use the racoonicorns to form a bridge! Or just fly, I guess!

Falling debris is NOTHING compared to the POWER of the ALICORN!

Opaline, still stuck in the Tree in the middle of Maretime Bay: "MY HOUSE! All my stuff was still in there! Now I'm homeless! Curse you Sunny Starscout! And the phat beats of Rear Admiral Fluffytail, too!"

*Zipp tastes the rubble* This is gingerbread...

So, yeah, Skyros is coming! Neat!

...But, the racoonicorns stole the Marestream while they were posing dramatically. Now, they have to walk home. AND deal with racoonicorn hijinks in a flying van.

Sunny, on the phone with her agent: "Okay, good work! Let's just keep that up! You earned your 10 percent today! Now, I was thinking, my character's smoothie cart could use a upgrade and..."

And now for the French version!
I do wonder if there's some overlap with this and Wakfu. Some of the voices sound familiar.

*Snerk* Okay, Sunny's "NOOO" in this version is kind of cute.

Sunny's voice is so much deeper in this version. But, Zipp sounds pretty similar to the English voice.

"My Bananas" is the same across all languages. It unites as all as a people! Or Hasbro just didn't want to pay for translations, because music rights are a pain.

Hmm...it's hard to sound evil in French. It just sounds like she's trying to flirt.

And...they don't seem to list the French voice actors. This list of voice actors is the same in both versions. Seems like a bit of a oversight (and possibly some sort of violation not to credit them, but what do I know?)

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
M.A. Larson what have you done?

Pipp, Zipp... you know you can fly anyway, right?

You think that's the worst nightmare? You have no idea.

Pass on what you have learned.

The racoonicorn takeover is progressing nicely.

TYT Opaline was such a dork. And it was good.

The Starscout family is seemingly important. I wonder if Sunny is really the last, or is there another?

And TYT starts flexing that animation bump again.

I think Allura has been put on a bus. TYT is doing its own thing now, and it's going to be interesting.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
Not seeing it anywhere. Hearing rumors in comment threads that episodes may be pushed to come out on Friday's now. Guess we'll find out.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I do wonder why the change, if it is a change at all. Releasing it on Thursday or Friday doesn't seem like it'd do much difference for views.

Top Bottom