Tell Your Tale Discussion Thread-Salute Our Shorts

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
*sad Zaku noises*

It's totally understandable. Especially since I'm not sure if even the team working on TYT knows when the next part of MYM will eventually drop on Netflix. But, I'm still going to miss this every week.

And, yeah, they've done a rather impressive job of keeping things synchronized, really.

Oh, well. I guess it's only a week away....*SIGH*

Since they "stole" our weekly episode, have a Sneaksy music video instead:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's refreshing that they're trying. Hasbro has historically been unaware or powerless or indifferent when it comes to their media branches getting out of synch and either going off in irreconcilable directions or spoiling each other. It is remarkable that they're trying, and that this is the first time TYT has had to be delayed to make it work.

But I will miss my weekly Pipp fix.

Echowarrior

Citizen
No complaints here. If they want Netflix to be a one-stop-shop for Gen 5 pony, then go for it. Just as long as Tell Your Tale remains available for free on Youtube.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Still no new episode today. I need my Pipp fix, so let's watch her dance until the show comes back.

2970942.gif

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
*Even sadder Zaku noises*

I...guess the prevailing theory right now is either someone made a mistake...or we all misunderstood and the next episode would be coming out TWO weeks from the last one. I guess we'll see...next week.

3029342.jpg

derpibooru.org/images/3029342
3029417.jpg

derpibooru.org/images/3029417

Have a Pipp music video, to hold back the Pipp-withdrawals.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen

Well no Pip, but we have a new episode!

So I think Nightmare Night and this one kept their names, but for whatever reason Hearth's Warming Eve became Wishingtime.

I'm predicting other people's breakdowns of this episode to have a "Posey anger justified" comment. :p

It's nice the town decorated at all I guess.

Honestly surprised Pip was left out of this. This really seems like her kinda holiday. I have a feeling she might be front and center next episode.

YAY MISTY! Seriously toy of her when? Come on now.

Gonna be honest I was totally expecting Izzy to guess "Hitch" for Zipp's 'interest' and see Zipp either quickly change the subject or actually blush a little.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
WE'RE BACK!

Izzy!

Hearts and Hooves Day. No wonder they did a two week break. This episode would have been in the first half of January. Way too early. G4 wouldn't have cared, but G5 does.

Even with magnets they have no physical way to use a dropper.

Zipperdoodle?

I appreciate that this didn't actually mess up what Zipp was doing. Once again MLP stares an annoying cartoon trope right in the face and says "Nah."

I don't know how the controls are supposed to work, but I adore that clunky looking camera. It's beige!

The butterfly. They are having fun with this show. Staying on-brand all the time has to be a challenge but they are making a game out of it.

:S

Izzy's imagination starts somewhat normal and rapidly gets more surreal.

Posey's anger is justified.

Okay breaking the bench the first time had a cute result but this is adding up to a lot of property damage. Though if these benches are that fragile maybe replacing them all will be for the best.

Another view of the camera. It looks like a toy.

Misty and Opaline. We don't even know what they're doing in the background this time, but we know it's going badly.

Zipp is saying the right things but Izzy is going to misinterpret this somehow.

Who's Rocky?

MLP branded valentines might be low sellers this year.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
*Happy Zaku noises*

I really wasn't sure if we were going to get a new episode or not today. This is a nice surprise.

They're back to doing 5 minute standalone episodes again, instead of 30-minute compilations? Okay, cool.
Man, if Izzy sounds like that all night, I wonder how any of the other girls get any sleep.

How dense is that windchime? If you notice Izzy doesn't hit the wall, she bounces off the glass ball part. Izzy is surprisingly light count: 1.

Zipp...why are you adding chemicals to that plant with a eyedropper? She's gone full mad scientist, hasn't she? This will end with Little Shop of Horrors, won't it? (...Little Shop of Horse...*heh*)

*Butterfly runs screaming from Zipp* ...That's not supposed to be the same butterfly from MYM or the video game, right? It looks completely different. What you got against bugs, Zipp?

Note: Zipp does not care about Hearts and Hooves Day.

"You'll see. YOU'LL ALL SEE!" ...This is the start of a NSFW fanfic somewhere, isn't it?

Okay, seriously Zipp, you need to get Izzy a card or something or she'll be heartbroken.

I take it the unicorns don't do much for Hearts and Hooves Day and Izzy expected the Earth Ponies to really make a big thing out of it? Emo unicorns probably have very...quiet Hearts and Hooves Days.

Honestly? Izzy's daydream about Maretime's Hearts and Hooves Day only seems *slightly* unrealistic. They could totally decorate the Railcar.

Actually, this is rather tame for Maretime Bay holidays. I guess they're tired from the other 10 holidays they had this week alone?

Seriously, there MUST be a story behind everyone being mad on Hearts and Hooves Day. All part of a off-screen Opaline plot? Did the chocolate shipment get stolen? I DO notice a distinct lack of chocolate in this episode (probably for "healthy eating" reasons, but still). I mean, a H&H Day without chocolate probably WOULD make everyone grumpy.

Later, Posey will find herself addicted to sniffing the glue on that card. Posey's addiction is justified count: 1. She will never get all the glitter out of her nostrils.

Izzy made cards for the trees? Just her favorite ones or EVERY TREE in Maretime Bay? Okay, that's a dumb question...every tree is probably her favorite tree.

OOF. Posey recycling Izzy's card right in front of her. Posey's heart is stone cold count: 1.

*Pineapple'd* Hey, all you need now is to get hit by a melon stand and a cherry vendor and you can have a fruit salad!

*Izzy fast-slings all her cards* Remind me not to play poker against Izzy. Her aim is actually pretty spot-on.

Aw, Izzy got Posey flowers...from her own garden...RUN IZZY RUN! On the one hand...this is suitable revenge for throwing away Izzy's card in front of her. Still, though, regrowing those roses will probably take her...seconds, with her Earth Pony powers. Still, I'm counting it. Posey's rage is justified count: 1.

Just wait until Posey finds out that Izzy took all the roses from her back garden to use as those rose-petals she's throwing everywhere.

Izzy! Bringing ponies together! Literally!

Hitch really should congratulate Izzy on helping him break up all the PDA on display in the park. I guess this is everyone's favorite "meetup" spot.

And how much does Izzy weigh if she can break these benches by jumping on them? Izzy is surprisingly dense count: 1. *Looks above* Wait...

"Aw, Little-King-Trashmouth and Big-Baby-Pudding-Snatcher are having a romantic date! Someone gimmie a camera!" .... Linda from Bob's Burgers would be proud. Still, Izzy is gross count: 1.

Aw, at least Izzy brightened Misty's day.

*Even NATURE rejects your love!* Ouch. Still, trees can never love you back...learned that the hard way.

So...can Venus Flytraps eat flying snails in this world or not? Is the plant too young or do they just not eat those? Ecology in Equestria raises weird questions count: 1.

That plant's growing too fast. Get the weed-whacker...NOW!

Izzy's shipping Zipp and Rocky...I don't see it. *shrug*

So I think Nightmare Night and this one kept their names, but for whatever reason Hearth's Warming Eve became Wishingtime.
That IS weird. Maybe the writers didn't like "Hearth" sounding so close to "Heart"? It's probably also to better reflect the real world having Christmas/Hannukkah/Kwanzaa/Festivus all at around the same time, too.
I'm predicting other people's breakdowns of this episode to have a "Posey anger justified" comment.
You would be correct!
Who's Rocky?
He's the one who isn't Jazz. You know, the white one with the red mane? Works in Mane Melody with Pipp? Good ol' Not-Jazz! He's had like...3 lines combined including ALL the shows, maybe? Can't blame you for forgetting him.
Not sure if we'll have to wait two or three weeks for the next episode. Take your bets, I guess? I'm guessing the next episode airs on...February 9.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Man, if Izzy sounds like that all night, I wonder how any of the other girls get any sleep.
They're prey animals. They sleep better when they don't feel alone. Familiar sounds help.

My peacocks taught me about it.

Izzy is surprisingly light count: 1.

Izzy is surprisingly dense count: 1. *Looks above* Wait...
My theory is the park benches were old and ready to crumble anyway. Maretime Bay is a comfy town but it is a mess in some quiet ways.

I take it the unicorns don't do much for Hearts and Hooves Day and Izzy expected the Earth Ponies to really make a big thing out of it? Emo unicorns probably have very...quiet Hearts and Hooves Days.
This makes complete sense. I can see her trying this in Bridlewood to no effect, and hoping Maretime Bay would be different. That's why it hurts.

Seriously, there MUST be a story behind everyone being mad on Hearts and Hooves Day. All part of a off-screen Opaline plot? Did the chocolate shipment get stolen? I DO notice a distinct lack of chocolate in this episode (probably for "healthy eating" reasons, but still). I mean, a H&H Day without chocolate probably WOULD make everyone grumpy.
It's all Sunny's fault.

We do need a story though. Hopefully the next couple of episodes will give us something. It is conspicuous that there is one holiday that they do not care about. The ending here didn't go for "Some people aren't going to be as into it as you are." It went for "Look, we're just not into this holiday."

OOF. Posey recycling Izzy's card right in front of her. Posey's heart is stone cold count: 1.
I feel better about all the times her rage is justified. Being introverted and cold are two different things.

Aw, at least Izzy brightened Misty's day.
Did we just get an episode where only Misty had a good day?

So...can Venus Flytraps eat flying snails in this world or not? Is the plant too young or do they just not eat those? Ecology in Equestria raises weird questions count: 1.
I've seen one fail to eat a slug. Their "teeth" are too stiff for a fly but the slug squeezed through no problem.

They are actually incredibly frail plants. Zipp may be raising one for the challenge.

That IS weird. Maybe the writers didn't like "Hearth" sounding so close to "Heart"? It's probably also to better reflect the real world having Christmas/Hannukkah/Kwanzaa/Festivus all at around the same time, too.
This one makes sense to me. Hearth's Warming was about their unity story. They probably dropped the holiday on purpose. Nightmare Night's story can be told without reference to the other tribes being friendly, so they kept it.

He's the one who isn't Jazz. You know, the white one with the red mane? Works in Mane Melody with Pipp? Good ol' Not-Jazz! He's had like...3 lines combined including ALL the shows, maybe? Can't blame you for forgetting him.
Oh, him. Yeah Izzy is imagining things.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
At 2:22 in the latest episode the Sprout wanted poster returns.

large.jpg

Speculation time. Did they forget to take this one down, or did Sprout break his parole?

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Well, the animators probably made it a part of the background, so they'd have to re-make that particular asset to "take it down". It's probably up there permanently, unless they re-make the police station.

...BUT that's boring, so let's see if we can't come up with something more interesting.

Maybe Sprout just goes wandering off on his own sometimes. And then his mother puts a bounty up for him to bring her baby home. He's constantly trying to set out on adventures that never get started because his mother is overprotective and sends the local bounty hunters out for him. Yeah, that seems like the most likely possibility to me.

OR a variant on that, maybe Sprout is actually having secret rendezvous with a girl, and his mom is trying to put a stop to that. Maybe this girl isn't even a pony, but a griffon or a yak or a deer or something. That could be kind of fun.

OR that's actually a "Help Wanted" sign. It just has a picture of Sprout up because he was the last Deputy. Hitch still needs to fill that position, it's just no one's interested, because you actually don't get to DO anything.

OR Sprout's trying to put together his own, rival police force to overshadow Hitch. Maybe it could end with some sort of Power Rangers homage. "WANTED: Ponies with ATTITUDE!"

OR Sprout keeps getting busted for minor, petty crimes. Thus making him the most wanted pony in Maretime Bay by default. The poster's just up there to shame him.

OR Sprout's been putting those posters up himself to give himself a "tough guy" rep. Trying to make it seem like he's a badder dude than he actually is.

OR that's actually Sprout's long-lost twin-sister Sprat. They're still trying to find their fiery little princess after all these years.. (...Opaline, I'm trying to hint that it's Opaline).

OR Sprout keeps INSISTING on Hitch re-drawing his wanted poster over and over again until he gets his face right. Hitch always gets his nose wrong.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Okay I rewatched some stuff to check. It does seem that it's just part of the TYT police station design. It doesn't come and go.

The in-universe explanation is probably that it's a "Help Wanted" sign and Hitch just cannot get any takers. G5 loves that kind of boringly realistic setting detail.

But I prefer the universe where Sprout just cannot stop getting busted for petty crimes, or just always happens to be at the scene of an accident.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

We have a show this week!

Costumes!

Pony Mardi Gras? I guess we're not going to be getting any elaboration on why they stopped caring about Hearts and Hooves Day.

Pipp's thinking about Hitch.

TYT Sparky is the good Sparky. Most of the time.

Misty!

... Misty's accidentally doing an Opaline voice.

Opaline seems toned down a bit, and it's for the better.

Hate plague?

Character development for Zipp.

Our villains are so screwed. They will never sneak anything past Zipp.

Aww, Sparky's donut...

Opaline is still very toned down compared to her early appearances. I don't know the production schedule for this show but I wonder if they were able to respond to feedback.

Roll out.

I am actually surprised that it didn't go for the downer ending, but I guess then we wouldn't have seen Hitch's new outfit.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Are these toys? They FEEL like toys.

Huh. Ponies have Mardi Gras. Don't do anything you'll regret for beads, girls!

I'm sure Zipp being itchy won't totally derail this parade in a spectacular fashion AT ALL. *Gets his popcorn ready*

*Snerk* Okay, it's kind of cute how Sparky's imitating Hitch being bossy.

EVIL BAKED GOODS! Misty can bake, good to know. I mean, she's probably the one cooking for her and Opaline all these years, I guess. Makes sense.

Honestly, the Blaze-berry Buns look pretty alright. I wouldn't suspect they were evil.

Did..Misty actually follow the recipe? Did she actually...do a evil good? Or was this really caused by Sparky's dragon sneeze magic?

Blink and you'll miss it: Posey gets sneezed on by a baby dragon...Posey's rage is justified count: 1

Did...Sparky CHANGE the bun into a donut? That's a completely different pastry than Sparky was holding a second ago. I guess he takes after his dad?

Wait, why isn't it working on Sparky or any of the ponies?

"This dance is totally ruined without Hitch!" You're saying you can't pull this off...without a Hitch?

Senior BUTTERHITCH! They keep bringing him back.

"If you care, I care" Aww, sweet sister moment.

Zipp's visor contains data about berries....okay. Fine.

Htich, hiding from the zombie apocalypse in a mall...I mean giant building...never works. At least not for long.

EESH, Canterlogic's seen better days.

Hairblowers! This doesn't feel like it should work. You're just moving the air around. Maybe a vacuum cleaner could work...

Pipp's really getting into this. She WANTS to be the final girl.

Opaline's out PEACE!

Aww, Misty's found a new pet....who wants to eat her.

Even Izzy is grossed out count: 1.

"Critters...ROLL OUT!" Heh...he said the thing. Hitch is a Transformers fan: confirmed! They do have those movies, after all.

Why are none of the background ponies wearing costumes? Is this a parade of JUST the Mane 5?

...I guess Zipp was just itchy in that one scene...*shrug*

... Misty's accidentally doing an Opaline voice.
There is nothing accidental about that voice. That's her "bad girl" voice. She probably practices that voice every night hoping Opaline will praise her for it...

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
*Snerk* Okay, it's kind of cute how Sparky's imitating Hitch being bossy.

He learned it from Best Pony Dragon Dad.

EVIL BAKED GOODS! Misty can bake, good to know. I mean, she's probably the one cooking for her and Opaline all these years, I guess. Makes sense.

Honestly, the Blaze-berry Buns look pretty alright. I wouldn't suspect they were evil.

Even knowing what they are... they look worth it.

Did..Misty actually follow the recipe? Did she actually...do a evil good? Or was this really caused by Sparky's dragon sneeze magic?

Misty is highly capable at certain things. She just struggles to figure out what those things are.

Blink and you'll miss it: Posey gets sneezed on by a baby dragon...Posey's rage is justified count: 1

Hopefully she didn't rage too much. Her friendship with Sparky was cute.

Did...Sparky CHANGE the bun into a donut? That's a completely different pastry than Sparky was holding a second ago. I guess he takes after his dad?

Sparky's breath tends to change things to suit his liking... so yeah that may be him taking after Best Pony Dragon Dad.

Wait, why isn't it working on Sparky or any of the ponies?

It probably takes a really concentrated dose, which is why simply blowing it around with hair dryers is enough to render it harmless. Horses have huge lungs, so I guess even these visible clouds just aren't enough.

I don't know about Sparky though. That's a fair question.

"If you care, I care" Aww, sweet sister moment.

And definitely not the attitude she had early in the show.

Htich, hiding from the zombie apocalypse in a mall...I mean giant building...never works. At least not for long.

EESH, Canterlogic's seen better days.

Honestly I'd pick the same place to hide, before finding out it's a bad idea because of all the broken windows.

It is surprising yet totally realistic that nopony's doing anything with the Canterlogic building yet. The company is gone and no one else wants/needs/can afford the building so it's just being left alone to crumble.

Pipp's really getting into this. She WANTS to be the final girl.

She does like haunted houses. It's fitting that she's be the one to get a little too into this. It's a vibe.

Aww, Misty's found a new pet....who wants to eat her.

Still less traumatic than her last pet...

Why are none of the background ponies wearing costumes? Is this a parade of JUST the Mane 5?

Background ponies don't get toys yet. Also the background is packed with unicorns and pegasuses. Maybe they didn't know far enough ahead of time that today is a holiday in Maretime Bay.

As for the earth ponies in town... they can't afford costumes after losing their Canterlogic jobs?

I don't know. I really don't know what it is you're supposed to do for Mardi Gras. If my neighborhood suddenly started celebrating it I wouldn't show up in a costume either.

...I guess Zipp was just itchy in that one scene...*shrug*

I like when not everything matters. She can just be itchy because costumes are like that sometimes. The writer has a story to tell but these characters are also living their lives here. She's not going to pretend she isn't itchy just because it doesn't matter to the story. It matters to her.

There is nothing accidental about that voice. That's her "bad girl" voice. She probably practices that voice every night hoping Opaline will praise her for it...

Like everything else about her relationship towards Opaline, that is adorable and sad.

Poor Misty. I don't see how this story has a happy ending.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

Sparky's sick. I am filled with dread.

I get why Hitch wants help, but no one knows any more about dragons than he does. The knowledge is lost.

... HOW does the reptile have hiccups?

Attempt 1: scaring away the hiccups.

Attempt 2: ... some horrible recipe out of a book.

Attempt 3: whatever it is unicorns do.

Attempt 4: vocal exercises. I don't know if this was supposed to be just Pipp being Pipp, but this is genuinely a good idea. Control the diaphragm... that dragons apparently have.

Misty!

... Didn't they already try this? Wasn't that Sunny's idea?

Oh no.

Why.

I'm done with this episode. I'm pausing, leaving, and will never see what happens in the next shot.

Pipp is the best part of this show.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Before I even start watching: Oh boy. Hopefully, they don't go too far with the fart/burp/gross jokes. Even at the best of times, Sparky seems to be their outlet for cruder humor.

It seems less like Sparky's "sick" and more like he has the hiccups, but I guess it's the same thing to Hitch. Poor guy. I"m more worried for Hitch than Sparky, honestly.

"It's a hicca-burp! AHHHH! That's adorable!" ...Pipp's going to get covered in "slime" by the end of the episode, isn't she?

It IS a little sad when Sparky keeps reaching out for the girls to hold him. I guess he really is in a little pain, poor little guy.

Zipp's first instinct when she has a hiccupy baby is to do extreme sports...she'll make a great mom.

Spaghetti, more like...spa-net-ti, right? ...I'll see myself out.

Sunny's cure is a smoothie. Okay. I wonder if her dad gave that to her when she had the hiccups? (Fan-artists, get on that!)

Okay, Sparky smacking his lips trying to figure out what he thinks about the flavor is kind of cute.

The Sunny-Hitch Friendship Handshake Dance! It's been a little while.

I guess that pony in the rickshaw was lucky she didn't end up INSIDE the giant mushroom, like what happened to Pipp and the pumpkin.

Izzy's cure is...everything else all at once, as a magic spell. Yeah, that tracks.

Izzy's first instinct when trying to frighten someone is to be a clown. I have to wonder if she's projecting a little.

Okay, hopefully someone has a spell to turn Izzy's hair back to normal before she eats all the grapes.

And Pipp's cure is singing together. It's adorable...and GRAMMABLE! I'm surprised she wasn't live-streaming that.

"EW! ...Actually, I can work with this" Pipp actually does make a lollipop in her hair work. This WILL trend.

"And they're getting worse!" ...What are you basing that on? He made GIANT SPAGHETTI just a little while ago. Giant carrots are actually a improvement, really.

Even MISTY is starting to suspect something!

I guess we can probably thank the racoonicorns for cleaning up the town after all these messes? Those guys will eat ANYTHING.

*Rapid-fire super burps* Okay, they WERE getting worse. I was wrong. I don't even know how that happens. Baby dragons' internal combustion is a mystery count: 1.

Whatever happened, Izzy's hair is back to normal.

Sunny WILL sacrifice herself to save a snail she doesn't even know...from jell-o. Still, it's a little concerning. Have a little more concern for your own life, Sunny.

So the cure for Sparky's upset stomach...is a large quantity of candy and sweets? That's....a TERRIBLE lesson for kids. I guess there's ONE carrot in there, but still.

*Heh* Pipp's inside...a strawberry SHORTcake. The animators did that on purpose.

And Izzy's just enjoying her chocolate-chip cookie fort.

"He's gonna blow!" "SPARKY!!!" Oh, geez. How gross will this be? And, again, I feel bad for Hitch. He really seems like he thinks Sparky's going to blow up.

*Super Fart right in Misty's face* You didn't deserve this. No one deserves this. Any evil Misty does from now on is justified count: 1. Better break out the tomato juice. I guess the giant spaghetti in the forest might come in handy, after all.

All the magic food just...turns back to normal after Sparky starts feeling better. Okay. So, now Misty just has to LIVE with...*sigh* THAT.

Opaline can smell it THROUGH the magic spell connecting them. Oy.

"What did you EAT?!" "I...DO NOT...want to talk about it" I don't think ANYONE will want to talk about this episode...EVER!

Okay, animators, you need to make it up to Misty for this. I don't know how. Just...do something nice to Misty. She didn't deserve this. Poor Misty. Give MIsty a spa day or something. Give her a nice dream where she gets a hug from Opaline. Izzy throwing her a surprise birthday party, because she doesn't know when her birthday is. SOMETHING!

Last edited:

Top Bottom