Tell Your Tale Discussion Thread-Salute Our Shorts

Echowarrior

Citizen
Well, I finally got caught up on this yesterday, in spite of my job dragging me in to save my department's hindquarters.

...dang it, I wasted too much time not watching these. They're fun!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah. I was wary due to the art style and seemingly throwaway format, but it's usually surprisingly fun.

2970863.gif

The ears are getting increasingly wiggly.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

Sparkyabuse.

Their ears are wiggling every time they move their heads. The TYT team got the memo.

You are not supposed to puff your cheeks out when playing a brass instrument. Very common rookie mistake.

Flashback. Even smaller Pipp!

Twitcha twitch. I'm glad this tradition lives on from gen to gen.

There had to be something wrong with that oven in the first place.

Shut up, Izzy. Tempting fate is my job.

"Cakes are supposed to catch fire, right? I'm pretty sure that's trending right now."

Opaline is right. You can't just add "hoof" to random words.

Ponies truly cannot do anything without it being a disaster.

Hasbro owns Easy Bake Oven, don't they?

Sparkyabuse.

George Arthur Bloom would be proud.

Queen Haven's going to steal another wall after this.

"So we're not exactly winning."

Unicorns are gross.

And the ending chaos is left to our imaginations. Nice.

Yeah that was fun.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Harvest and Hugs Day! This is new! I guess we need a Thanksgiving substitute in Equestria. Odd we haven't had one before.

Nice tea set, Izzy.

Wow...that's a lot of cake. Do you think the Queen's overcompensating because they don't have a dad? Is that what's going on?

Those decorations were either EXTREMELY flammable, or Sparky's fire breath was just very destructive this time around. Sparky's powers are so inconsistant. *sigh*

It WAS a nice tea set, Izzy...

"It's fine, cakes are SUPPOSED to catch fire, right? I'm pretty sure that's trending right now..." I can see the challenges now...

"Am I being filmed? Is this one of your Clip Trots?" This is a completely fair question, honestly.

"Elderberry Bushel Blast" sounds like a Mountain Dew flavor...

Zipp has a Bakey-Boo Oven...oh, she's never living this down. I want fan art of baby Zipp baking NOW! They even kind of foreshadow this by having her be a part of the baking team at the beginning of the episode! A light bulb wouldn't be able to bake a full-sized cake, though.

...Who are these ponies? I'm guessing the Queen's parents and her siblings. Not sure if one of them is a family butler or not.

"We could be eating mud pie and...worm stew, for all that I care" "Now that I can do!"....Izzy is gross count....hmm...1/2...we don't actually SEE her doing it, but we all know she WOULD.

Sparkyabuse.
You know, I got so used to it with Spike, I didn't really really think about it here.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Unicorns are still OP...ish. This would work if Izzy used better materials for her projects.

At least it didn't land on Posey's head. Her luck is improving.

It's the tram Izzy started working on in MYM. This thing is either going to be a toy or the teams are still sharing notes.

No nicknames.

Inventing is fun.

This is good stuff. They're both into this, but have different skills and tool sets, and come from technologically polar opposite dystopias.

This is definitely a toy.

They unlocked the team Boon and immediately crashed it. I am happy.

I like this show.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Oh no, Izzy has mastered the power of flight! The skies are even less safe than they were before!

Okay, the "mastered" part might be a *little* premature...

"Wha-Oh!" Izzy was in so much trouble she had to break the fourth wall!

*Posey almost getting flattened by Izzy's hang-glider* Posey's rage is justified count: 1.

"It might need work, but it's got good bones!" No...no, it doesn't. Also, I guess we know what Izzy's using that railcar for in the last Make Your Mark episode.

Team Zipzee! Someone remembers G3!

Lone Starr and Barf would be envious of this ride!

Hey, we finally have a use for that Lantern! It won't just be gathering dust on Sunny's nightstand!

The Marestream! Fast travel option: Unlocked?

"The buttons! They do NOTHING!"

"It's RISKY!" More so than anything else today?

Zipp...you can fly. And probably could carry Izzy if necessary. You CAN bail?

Well, at least they have a cool tree house now. We need one of those for G5.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Huh...I'll admit, I didn't really notice, but I think it is pretty similar now that you mention it. Neat touch.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

Posey's rage is justified. I don't even know why yet.

Snow. You know what? Why don't we give February its days back and take them from November instead? We're already supposed to pretend that November is the shortest month so why not just make it official?

Okay it's not their fault this time. If you are in an area where snowball fights are happening all around you in every direction, you're going to get hit.

The TYT writers also got the memo that snow is unusual in Maretime Bay. I guess this is why Posey can't just stand somewhere else. The whole town is going snow crazy.

Posey just knows this giant snowball will find her.

Posey went to the Prometheus School for Running Away from Things.

Posey smiled!

Nice light show. See this is why they try. Posey isn't impossible to please. There are activities she can do and have a good time. I wonder if she was more outgoing before the town started changing and they're trying to bring that back.

Poor Sparky doesn't like snow either. Being cold blooded is rough sometimes.

I don't know. I wasn't loving it, but the ending kinda saved it. If you watch carefully you can see Sparky not enjoying these activities the whole time. I wasn't expecting that ending but they did set it up well.

Shadewing

Citizen
Yeah, its a weaker episode overall; but nit a bad one. Though I feel we already had a 'not everyone likes the same things' episode.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
*Posey running from snowballs* Just a normal day being Posey. Posey's rage is justified count...wait, is this just a city-wide snowball fight in the park? I kind of feel like it's Posey's fault for walking into this unprepared, if she's so afraid of being beaned by a snowball. Posey brought this on herself count: 1. (Hiding in a bush gets hit by a snowball: Posey gets snowed count: 1)

How long was Izzy hiding inside that snowpony?

"Take me home!" ...Can't she walk? How'd she get here? Did we skip a episode? Did they kidnap Posey? I know she was at the Unicorn concert in Winter Wishdays, but I thought that was a animation reuse. Posey's rage is justified count...tentatively 1. I don't quite get what's going on here.

It's a snowday? Adults don't get those! You just lose pay! Posey lost a day's worth of salary count: 1.

Well, if Posey wasn't kidnapped BEFORE, she sure is NOW. Posey has a legitimate lawsuit to file later count: 1.

Senior Butterscotch is my copilot.

"I'm a Earth Pony, not a Sky Pony!" Given how unreliable magic is in G5? Yeah, Posey's fear is justified count: 1.

(Zipp flings snow everywhere by diving from above before they start making snowponies: Posey gets snowed count: 2)

*Zipp's snowball careens down on Posey like a Indiana Jones boulder* Posey really does seem to be a snow-magnet, doesn't she? (Hit by Zipp's giant snowball: Posey gets snowed count: 3)

Aww, Posey's kind of getting into making the snowpony. Posey's actually having fun count: 1.

(The giant snowpony's head lands on her: Posey gets snowed count: 4)

"You can make anything with snow! MWUHAHAHA! ANYTHING! HAHAHA!" Izzy, you're making it worse. Posey's dread is justified count: 1.

Okay, this is a really pretty aurora that Izzy created. This feels like Eeyore's cloud painting in Winnie the Pooh. Posey's awe is justified count: 1.

...And moment ruined. They should have just saved this for the ending. (Posey stops Izzy's out of control snow-light show: Posey is snowed count: 5)

How'd they get Posey on a snowboard? Posey gets dressed up against her will count: 1.

(Posey wipes out snowboarding: Posey gets snowed count: 6)

*Posey is relieved to have some Sparky fire in the middle of the snow* This is actually kind of a cozy-looking moment, out of context.

Aw, Posey gets to hang out with Sparky on her own tropical hill. Posey's finally satisfied count: 1.

Final count: Posey got hit with snow 6 times. The punishment? Someone give this poor pony a change of socks!

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't know how to bake either but that's impressive.

Pipp and Zipp have the same favorite.

Team TYT got the memo about Grandma Figgy. I'll stop pointing this stuff out eventually, but I am still shocked how tight the brand management is this gen. Hasbro is not good at this, so for them to be pulling it off means they are really trying harder.

Sunny's gonna commit crimes.

Our montage doesn't include Zephyr Heights yet...

Here we go. Oh wow she's actually doing it.

Very professional getaway. She's getting good at crime.

Okay I don't know how to bake either but what has she done?

These cookies even scare Izzy. When your cooking scares a unicorn...

Lil Pipp and Zipp!

Izzy always had imaginary friends.

Tiny Hitch!

When I was in high school my American History class somehow got ahead of schedule and we finished the approved curriculum well before the end of the year. We were going to keep going, but the administration found out and ordered that under no circumstances could we touch any material that wasn't approved, and they didn't want to take time out of their schedules to approve any more material. Apparently they don't approve whole textbooks, just a range of chapters. So we had to sit there and do nothing for the rest of the school year. Anyway, one day one of my classmates baked some cookies and brought them in just to relieve the boredom. She got the recipe wrong and the resulting cookies were harder than diamonds. You couldn't even break a crumb off. This scene reminded me of that.

Headcanon: Sunny got into smoothies because everything she made turned to mush anyway.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Poor Sunny. She was trying so hard to bake that...cake?

"Heeeey, buddy...How's it going?" Hitch knows he's on thin ice right now.

Izzy, you're still making noises while miming. The other mimes will gang up on you if you to that. *flashes back*

Wait, that was cookies? How was that cookies?

Kiwi Pie Crystal Uni-Cookie, Royal Banana Nut Bite, and Grandma Figgy's Good Ol' Fashioned Marshmallow Citrus Crumblies....How'd Sunny even find out about these cookies if her friends didn't say anything about them and they weren't in any cook books? Also, these are some REALLY niche cookies. No one likes good old chocolate chip?

"They're never going to taste as good as we remember them, anyway" You just poked the baking bear, Izzy.

They're really using ANY excuse to use the Marestream, aren't they? You guys still need to get your steps in!

"...And then I'll break into the palace at Zephyr Heights and steal the secret royal recipe...Wait, what?" Even Sunny thinks this plot is forced.

"Follow your heart!" ...I know a lot of people actually bake this way, but it's really unhelpful when teaching.

This music is a little loud for this baking scene.

I'm starting to get the feeling that all the superstitions the unicorns have come from Alphabittle.

"Do you want cake ghosts?" I ain't afraid of no cake ghosts!

I totally thought Sunny was going to use the rolling pin as a club instead of a distraction. Sunny has been practicing her sneaking skills.

Sunny kissing marshmallows is going to become a meme.

Queen Haven has a vault of Royal Sequins....I guess she just like sparkly things?

...Apparently, the Maresteram has a autopilot/getaway driver mode. I bet Izzy programmed that in.

"You're ready!" *Fails in very next scene* Yeah...maybe just order everyone pizza? Cookie pizza?

That slowdown moment of Sunny throwing salt behind her is SO DRAMATIC! But she did it over the wrong shoulder, that's how you get cake ghosts.

Sunny's cookies are haunted. Better have a head count for Hitch's critters. We know from that time Pipp got baked into a pie these things are possible. The Sparking cookies are kind of neat, though. And the bubbling ones probably just need to cool down...or wait for whatever chemical reaction is happening to fizzle out.

Those cookies are full of Sunny's blood, sweat, and tears, you guys better enjoy them! ...Mostly sweat, she's been very sweaty this entire episode.

Baby ponies! Ratatouille wants it's ending back! Also, Senior Butterscotch has a older sister. Seniorita Batterspoon! ...Izzy NEVER had friends, did she?

Aww, there's nothing better than eating tiny cookie versions of yourself! Hopefully, Colgate has a descendant, though, ouch.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't know. Maybe it was forced but I had a good time.

I continue to really like that we're getting multiple holiday themed episodes a month that get to cover different things instead of just one episode that's stuck doing one thing. It means they don't need to come up with an idea that's big enough to be the holiday episode. They can focus on smaller things. It fits what G5 wants to be. TYT is really turning the 5 minute episode limit into an asset instead of a restraint.

blueskyscribe

Citizen
I think it's "vault of royal secrets" although I could believe she has a vault of sequins too . . . right next to the secrets vault. ;)

I thought this one was super cute and I loved the cake ghosts.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
*Listens again* Yeah, it could be "secrets". That'd probably make more sense. Like I said, the song is too loud for the scene. Sequins is funnier though. Not sure which I like better. *shrugs*

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Misty's back!

Please buy the Marestream. Hasbro is begging you.

Where did you learn to fly?

Misty!

Trojan gift.

Nets! The most conniving of contraptions!

Once again Misty is thwarted at every turn by someone who doesn't even know she's there.

Misty finally loses patience and just goes for it.

She grabbed the dog, didn't she?

TYT indicates that Opaline's hammy and somewhat annoying persona is indeed a persona. She plays it up when she knows Misty is around to see. Curious. I may have to rewatch some things and see if this makes her a more enjoyable character.

I knew it.

We like Misty, but she really does screw everything up.

You have no idea how much I look forward to this show lately. Life isn't giving me much these days, but this show is a small joy.

Top Bottom