Sonic The Hedgehog

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Looking good, Nine (New Yoke Tails) is clearly a intersting villian for the series, having his own motives, I really like that twist, he not just the side kick, anymore or reduced to a worhtless character in favor of other characters!

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Completely missed that another Twitter Takeover happened:

For myself, the main thing of note is that Amy mentioned struggling and eventually getting better at doing spindashes. It's something that got mentioned in the cookbook and tracks with her game progression across Adventure 1 and the Advance games. That, and they brought up Murder of Sonic.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Completely missed that another Twitter Takeover happened:

For myself, the main thing of note is that Amy mentioned struggling and eventually getting better at doing spindashes. It's something that got mentioned in the cookbook and tracks with her game progression across Adventure 1 and the Advance games. That, and they brought up Murder of Sonic.
The main thing of note for me was that I didn't notice any big-name influencers getting all the questions. I might actually try again next year.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Lowart gifting us Gold again!

Enjoyed it as usual but I'm processing something about the structure and my brain isn't quite there yet.

And for something a bit more offical:

Was wondering if this TailsTube would release late this year or early next year. There's the quiet fact that no one but Eggman got a gift for Tails and that was only at the last minute. Outside of that, lots of small things to note. The slow reintroduction of humans. Acknowledging the IDW comics more. Making it clear that Rogue still wants the Master Emerald. Restructuring Amy's attraction to Sonic. Christmas NiGHTS on the screen in the background. Overall, it's just fun to see these small interactions outside of the big calamities.

Last edited:

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Enjoyed it as usual but I'm processing something about the structure and my brain isn't quite there yet.

In the mush of my mind, I'm reminded that Flynn is tying together story beats of authors who came before him as opposed to creating everything from scratch. There's a shared universe feeling despite there being just one book (I believe the Knuckles book had ended at this time). I wonder if the book would have been better sooner with better editors. What weirdly comes to mind is early parts of New 52. A few writers wrote in a vacuum and kept things close to the chest despite other writers needing to know what was happening with some characters. Flynn clearly wanted to know what was going on but writing after Penders instead of at the same time.

With people who dislike Flynn's writing, I wonder if a lot of it comes down to shooting the messenger. While he has his own preferences, he's bound by what Sega says he can do...and they're far more hands on than they used to be.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
As we come to the end of the year, we look back and see this was actually a good 30th anniversary for Amy Rose. She's getting retconned into having a bigger role in the Classic era than she originally did. The appearances she did make are being acknowledged. With Superstars, she got to be playable in a Classic sidescroller from the start. She got to star in her own comic. Frontiers DLC once again made her playable in a mainline Modern game. Then, she was playable from the start in Dream Team. In what's considered to be a "boys franchise" on paper, she's been getting more and more merchandise. And the kicker was the year starting out with the Murder of Sonic. The closest she's gotten to being the game's star, the setting was her birthday party and she got the final blow on the boss. The game really got to showcase the range of her personality and emotions.

Think back 25 years ago to Sonic Adventure. She's constantly getting ignored, was surprised at her own strength, and she vowed she'd "make that Sonic respect me". Look to now and after slightly backing off of directly chasing Sonic, she gets invited on adventures, Sonic considers her part of the crew, and she can give Sonic a hug without him running away. Guys...Amy won. And over the course this year I think she quietly slipped into being my second favorite character.

Though that reminds me that this is another character's 30th anniversary and the picture there is a lot less rosy. Metal Sonic didn't get much this year. He was the main antagonist in Amy's comic and that was mostly it. There was a curious absence in the Fast Friends Forever bios. Metal Sonic also suffered a bit of dehumanization. Coinciding with named Chao characters like Cheese being referred to as "they" now (which is fair considering Chao have always been officially genderless), official material has recently been calling Metal Sonic "it". Puts the Egg Memo in new light. But this year's absence really showcases the weird state Metal Sonic is in. And it's not a villain thing since next year is the 30th for Knuckles and Fang and we know Fang is getting his own comic miniseries.

Shadewing

Citizen
Think back 25 years ago to Sonic Adventure.

giphy.gif

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Fun fact! You aren't actually changing like that, that's just your precious psyche being crushed under the weight of time and the failure of biology. The mirror lies... right up until it doesn't.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think the diminishing returns with improvements in game graphics (and a lot of other technologies) aren't helping. We don't have as many landmarks to remind us how much time is really passing.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Like with Season 2, the first episode of Sonic Prime season 3 has been officially uploaded to YouTube by Netflix in advance of the rest of the season's Netflix release:

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Like with Season 2, the first episode of Sonic Prime season 3 has been officially uploaded to YouTube by Netflix in advance of the rest of the season's Netflix release:

-Shadow was more mellow than I was expecting after Sonic lost the Paradox Prism. Though, that might confirm the theory that Shadow gets physical with Sonic only when he thinks he won't listen.
-Escaping from a shattering Ghost Hill was way more exciting than the fight against the robotic Sonic in The Grim. The Grim seems like it falls into the flaw of being just barely above a white room. The show's scenes excel when you can track what's going on.
-Alright show, don't act like we didn't notice that the first robot double to attack Shadow was Rouge. Though on that note, Sonic got attacked by another Amy. When the world gets restored, he's either gonna give her a big hug because he misses a version of her that isn't trying to kill him or the trauma will cause him to avoid her more than he ever did.
-An interesting thing of note is that it seems like there might me some specific mechanics to the Paradox Prism. Like the Chaos Emeralds, it seems like its power might be infinite if just used as a power source. Trying to create or destroy with it is where the danger comes from. It also seems like the Chaos Council might have know more about how to create with it.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
A major thing to note is that each show is a sort of time capsule for when it was created:
Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog: Slapstick comedy from the early 90s. Has messages at the end.
Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM): Action cartoon from the early 90s.
Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie (OVA): Early/mid nineties edgy anime.
Sonic Underground: Songs in every episode AND/OR incomplete quest arc.
Sonic X: Early 2000s action anime dubbed by 4Kids.
Sonic Boom: 2010s comedy that uses self aware meta humor.

Sonic Prime: 2020s multiversal crisis.

Enjoyed it. Still processing my thoughts but for now:

-With Season 3 being only 7 episodes, Sonic Prime is the second shortest Sonic series after the OVA.
-I'm really feeling like each season was written and animated separately, despite being one big work order. Season 1 is structured differently with the flashbacks and Season 3 is a jump in animation quality.
-Considering how aggressively protective SEGA is, I'm sorta surprised Shadow got beat up at all. It made sense considering the situations but still a mild surprise.
-I'm glad Rusty Rose got a big fight showcasing her skills. Her mechanical nature makes her the most exciting to watch when she gets physical (instead of just operating the lasers).
-"Team Rose" as a whole had a sort of character arc. The Season 1 Boscage Maze episodes are sorta improved in retrospect since Sonic seeing the worth in Amy via Thorn was mirrored by Dread seeing Black Rose's leadership. Rusty became more in touch with her humanity as things progressed. There were some rough patches but I wonder what all wound up on the cutting room floor.
-Speaking of which, I wonder if someone will ever make a list of all the loose ends. Or if the writers themselves will mention dangling plot threads that got cut from the script.

Last edited:

Top Bottom