Sonic The Hedgehog

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw season 3 and, well, it was all just an extended fight. Ian Flynn can do better, c'mon.

Best parts were Mangey reveal, Nine's big gun and Sonic clinking steps.

Nine's final fate is still pretty sad. He's actually the most memorable. Rusty Rose is probably next since she moved from evil to good.

Why is it always the smart guys who turn evil? I think the first time I saw that trope is in Gargoyles with Lexington masterminding the deaths.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
To be fair to lexington: that never actually happened.

But yeah: season 3 felt like an arc in dragonball Z. Lul then escalation, lul then escalation, lul then escalation. I mean, it was at least fun to watch. My question is... did shatterspaces become the new incarnation of zones? I thought putting the paradox prism back together would put the universe back together.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Season 3 is still floating in a mush in my head due to odd things with it. One of those is that I thought most of the lulls were better than the action. For as much as people complained about Season 1 Boscage Maze, Season 3 felt like it could have been trimmed. Also, with the show over, it feels like things were set up and paid off...but there were gaps in the middle like scenes got cut. Like with Rusty Rose. You clearly saw her emotional progression so her big speech felt earned. Yet, there weren't any clear signs showing that the bird inside wasn't her power source.

The Paradox Prism was a bit of an oddity in its mechanics. It's possible that the worlds reforming was limited since Nine was directly wielding the power. Maybe it would be different if it was put back together in Green Hill instead of The Grim. Chalk it up to being one of things the series never properly explained. Because there was the odd state of there clearly being a "past" to the Shatterspaces.

As far as smart guys being the ones to turn evil, I think it's a supposed concept of intelligence versus empathy. They have the mind to enact a plan they see as the way to get things done but don't value people enough to feel bad about hurting them. With that said, the thing that I think was the biggest missed opportunity was not getting to see Tails interact with Nine. Tails is way too altruistic to try to wield reality shattering power for his own interests. But, I think that goes back to the show having a lot of assumed game knowledge that isn't exactly the same as the games.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Yeah, I was expecting Green Hill folks to interact with the other copies.

Hex, where were Sonic and Shadow's copies, if that was ever explained?

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
This comment mystifies me.
Oh, I didn't check but didn't Ian Flynn oversee the whole story of Sonic Prime?

He would have deftly condensed all the cool bits in one or two eps instead of stretching the fight out into an extended DragonBall Z anime fight scene.

Buuuut maybe he's just getting used to adding writing TV scripts under his belt? (Along with writing for video games with Frontier?)

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
He was consulted for lore but wasn't the actual writer. I'm pretty sure he was asked things about specific interactions but had no control or even knowledge of the pacing.

And speaking of DBZ, it's interesting that Sonic got a super form in the second arc and not the third.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
He was consulted for lore but wasn't the actual writer.
This.

And I've heard it said that they didn't even necessarily adhere to what he said, though I still need to see the last stretch here and don't really know for sure. Might just be someone bitter jacking their jaws.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Dang it. I have it in my head that Ian Flynn is expanding his writing influence and being more awesome by being more involved in TV (Prime) and games (Frontier).

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think this is the way to go, actually. Someone needs to keep track of the lore so writers get consistent information, but I don't want one person writing everything even if he's good.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Well, Evan Stanley has been writing issues and issues of the IDW Sonic. Her art is amazing but there's something about her writing I can't put my finger on. There's a different, flightier tone, like things are less weightier or less consequence? And stuff are more decompressed?

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Well I finished Sonic Prime earlier on, overall, its a fairly desent show, I liked it more than Boom, Boom was just plain boring for me, no stakes, problem of the week and not very inspired writing, Sonic Prime, I think the writers just didn't know what to do with Robotnik, AKA Eggman and surpposely Marvel was taking the multiverse route, so they decided to go that sort of route, but they did it right, showing alterative verisons of most of the cast outside of Sonic & Shadow, with Shadow, regardless of reailty, he would likely be the same, which is why he was able to chaos control out of the shattering! The Chaos council were a lot of fun and if they ever do a sequel, I hope they make appearance because they were very different to Robotnik, despite being alterative verisons of him, sort of, the more things change, the more they stay the same. Nine being the overall villian was certainly a surprise twist in some ways because you would presume the Chaos council were the primary vilians of the story, but they were not the final vilian, of course in a lot of ways, Sonic was the one at fault as he broke the crystal in the first place! I would say that this series is the best since Satam or at least tied with Sonic X and Underground, while it concluded its main story, there always the chance of a sequel where the chaos council invade Sonic's world or cause more problems.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Hex, where were Sonic and Shadow's copies, if that was ever explained?
Sonic was the one who broke the Paradox Prism and got some of its energy poured into him, which made him immune to the splitting.

Shadow saved himself from the splitting by using Chaos Control to shield himself from the splitting, which also resulted in him getting blasted out into the void since he was now an anomaly left over from before the splitting.

Shadewing

Citizen
Finally got around to binging season 3. Kinda wished there was one more episode, as it felt like there needed to be more room to breath and answer questions. Also feels like maybe they are setting up for some sequel series, since apparently there won't be an actual 4th season of prime. Though I kinda wanted/hoped that Sonic would Shatter, and it'd be an actual good thing. So that each world would have their own version of Sonic. Normal sonic returns to Green Hill, New Yolk gets a Sonic to help the Rebels, and Nine would get a Sonic so he wouldn't be completely alone in the Grim. That kinda would have been my ideal end.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Finally got around to binging season 3. Kinda wished there was one more episode, as it felt like there needed to be more room to breath and answer questions. Also feels like maybe they are setting up for some sequel series, since apparently there won't be an actual 4th season of prime. Though I kinda wanted/hoped that Sonic would Shatter, and it'd be an actual good thing. So that each world would have their own version of Sonic. Normal sonic returns to Green Hill, New Yolk gets a Sonic to help the Rebels, and Nine would get a Sonic so he wouldn't be completely alone in the Grim. That kinda would have been my ideal end.

The problem with the Grim is that its shown to be nothing but a void, a blank slate if you will, thou I wonder what Shadow did with the Prism, thou I wonder if Eggman gotten some readings that would enable him to locate it again, unless Shadow using chaos control was able to warp it off world and maybe back to the Grim as that is about the safest place, the Chaos council would of likely gone back to New Yoke and the other varients back to their worlds aside from Nine

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Depends on where the council wound up. The conditions of their "leaving" weren't disclosed and nine is more than smart enough to try to removing them enough that they won't be a threat.

Though I do believe that shadow would have brought the prism to nine. He needed the power to terraform the grim, and it would keep it out of the hands of both eggman and the council.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Finished it today. It was alright.

My wife and I felt like MOA's Mega Man Fully Charged felt more like a Mega Man series than this did a Sonic series, in a way.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
When it comes to shows like Sonic Prime and other such Netflix shows with really short seasons that lead directly into each other in a highly serialized manner, it's honestly better to not think of the individual seasons as such, but instead as one long season. Sonic Prime's official seasons had nine episodes (the first episode was double-length, two episodes mashed together), eight episodes, and seven episodes. That's 24 episodes in total, enough for a full TV season's worth. Binging the show from start to finish makes it feel more like one complete whole instead of the three distinct chunks that Netflix released it as, and thus makes the epic final battle that took up the bulk of the final third of the show feel all the more satisfying as the big climax of the whole story.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Resized_20240131_210548.jpg

Top Bottom