Legacy Line Wish List

Darth_Prime

Citizen
Read this today. Sounds like they are doing a deep dive on Armada.

Still a shot at the Armada Prime we saw few years back.

Tidal Wave in a Titan class coming is my guess. Be great if it scaled good with the upcoming Armada Starscream.

Animated. Start your guesses now.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Read this today. Sounds like they are doing a deep dive on Armada.

Still a shot at the Armada Prime we saw few years back.

Tidal Wave in a Titan class coming is my guess. Be great if it scaled good with the upcoming Armada Starscream.

Animated. Start your guesses now.

My hopes for Animated characters would be that they would focus on characters that were either new or portrayed uniquely in the show. Not that I wouldn't be happy to get a Legacy-styled Animated Optimus, but I don't know if it would be significantly different from a lot of other Optimi that we've had over the years once he was G1'ed.

My short list would be:

Lockdown
Sentinel Prime
Prowl (Prime Arcee remold?)
Pre-beast Wasp (Origins Bumblebee remold?)
Lugnut
Wreck-Gar (they could even give him a different Junkion style name if the didn't want it to conflict with the SS version)

Not long ago, Bulkhead would have been top of my list, but we just got him. Megatron would have been up there as well, but the new Earthspark Megatron isn't too far off from what I imagine a Legacy style Animated Megatron would have looked like.

Future_Erika

singularly focused
Citizen
I agree, and out of those more prominent characters I'd probably want a Sentinel Prime the most. Jetfire and Jetstorm also desperately need a redo, but could this team pull off a symmetrical docking combiner well?

Hmm, if they did that'd be a pretty good opportunity for me try to learn how to customize and make some ocs
(instead of twins they would be girlfriends)

As much as I'd want them to do a Strika I should probably just track down a mmc Titanika instead

Future_Erika

singularly focused
Citizen
uuuugh
I haven't read idw2 yet, but my girlfriend's wife keeps showing me girls from it

we really just need a whole line dedicated to comic characters(all publishers, sure)
it wasn't exactly amazing when they tried it before, but surely they'd do better now

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
G1-ified Animated, but yes.
Hey I'll gladly take a Lockdown, Lugnut, Slipstream and Dirtboss G1-ified.

Would I like more figures to actually go in my Animated display, sure, but I also just love to see some of the characters get more love at all. And really I'm not against the G1-ifying overall. Really the only series it's really wrecked the look of in my eyes is Prime and really it's not that bad either. Arcee and Bulkhead may not be on Model to the show, but they fit in with the rest of my CHUG line figures.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Add Animated Wreck-Gar to that list. It's my favorite take on the character, and we don't get enough garbage truck transformers as it is.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Add Animated Wreck-Gar to that list. It's my favorite take on the character, and we don't get enough garbage truck transformers as it is.

I'll second that, Wreck-gar being a garbage truck makes prefect sense, even in G1, if he came to Earth and adopted alterative alt mode, a garbage truck would make prefect sense for him!

SeeveeRay

I'll get better someday, hopefully.
Citizen
I really hope they won't "G1-ify" Animated characters. Most of the point of the Animated characters is them looking like their animated selves. I don't see the point of doing them at all if their designs don't stay true to the series. If Animated Cyclonus is G1-ified... then he's just Kingdom Cyclonus. Bumblebee movie Optimus would just be G1 Optimus without his Bumblebee movie style. I don't see why EVERYTHING needs to look like G1 anyway.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm caught a bit off guard by a thread like this, as I remember my wishlisting on the old boards had a bunch of wishes already largely come true.

Anyway, if Legacy is going to pull from the brand's history, here's my list of totally self-indulgent nonsense.

G1-G2/G1-adjacentBeast EraRID2001, Unicron TrilogyAnimated/Prime/RID2015/
Cyberverse
  • More Diaclone/eHobby, yes
  • G1-style alt mode Ultra Magnus
  • Aileron
  • Nautica
  • Glyph
  • Detritus
  • Chromedome-based HM Arcee
  • Sunstorm
  • Laser Ultra Magnus
  • G2 Dinobots
  • G2 Defensor gift set
  • Dark Hot Rod, SG Rodimus, Commander class MP9B
  • Weaponizer Junkions, still
  • Thunder Clash and the Turbomasters
  • Salt-Man X or Robot-Man X
  • Alternators Smokescreen
  • Alternators Dead End
  • KP Autorooper
  • Alternators yellow Tracks
  • Titan Class Lost Light (no robot mode, modular bases/pods)
  • Fuzor Silverbolt
  • BM Silverbolt (Kingdom Airazor retool?)
  • Polar Claw
  • Torca
  • Tigerhawk
  • Hammerstrike
  • Battle Unicorn
  • Primal Prime (Selects POTP redeco?)
  • Cryotek (Legacy Dragon Megatron redeco)
  • Ramulus
  • Cyborg Beasts retools of current molds
  • Halloween Horrorcon Blackarachnia
  • Mudfighter/Paralyzer or both
  • Nyx
  • Core Class T-AI (idk)
  • Spychangers (1-2 base molds with pretools)
  • RID Autobot Brothers
  • Demolishor
  • Commander Class gimmicked-up Armada Megatron
  • Core Class Signal Lancer
  • Cybertron Megatron
  • Cybertron Hot Shot
  • Brushguard
  • Tidal Wave
  • Overload
  • Lockdown
  • Core Class Sari Sumdac
  • Airachnid
  • Springload
  • Filch
  • Fracture
  • Strongarm
  • Drift
  • Lugnut, Clobber
  • Shadow Striker
  • Meteorfire
  • Hammerbyte
  • Thunderhowl
  • Wildwheel

I continue to adore this era of transparency. I remember when Hasbro absolutely would not answer the "Will we see X" question. Now someone asks if we'll see Animated and they actually tell us yes. It's going to surprise me every time.

This and the consistent eagerness to share concept work and stories from the design phase are aspects of the modern era I absolutely appreciate. I love the dynamic and dearly wish all of the stuff we've seen and will yet see get compiled into an art book. I love all that and the fondness for deep-cut redecos (helps that regular retail has become a venue for these sorts of releases which we'd once only see from Botcon or eHobby).

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I really hope they won't "G1-ify" Animated characters. Most of the point of the Animated characters is them looking like their animated selves. I don't see the point of doing them at all if their designs don't stay true to the series. If Animated Cyclonus is G1-ified... then he's just Kingdom Cyclonus. Bumblebee movie Optimus would just be G1 Optimus without his Bumblebee movie style. I don't see why EVERYTHING needs to look like G1 anyway.

I think the whole point of the Legacy line is that it's supposed to bring in characters from all different aspects of the franchise, but in a unified design aesthetic. Basically, it wouldn't be a toy of Animated Lugnut, it's a toy of a Lugnut from a G1-adjacent universe that's inspired by the original Animated Lugnut.

To that point, you're absolutely right when you say there's no reason to do a Legacy Animated Cyclonus, since it literally is just regular Cyclonus. But there ARE a lot of Animated only characters such as Lugnut, Prowl, Oil Slick, garbage-truck Wreck Gar, etc. that would be interesting to see homaged in a new setting.

SeeveeRay

I'll get better someday, hopefully.
Citizen
I think the whole point of the Legacy line is that it's supposed to bring in characters from all different aspects of the franchise, but in a unified design aesthetic. Basically, it wouldn't be a toy of Animated Lugnut, it's a toy of a Lugnut from a G1-adjacent universe that's inspired by the original Animated Lugnut.

To that point, you're absolutely right when you say there's no reason to do a Legacy Animated Cyclonus, since it literally is just regular Cyclonus. But there ARE a lot of Animated only characters such as Lugnut, Prowl, Oil Slick, garbage-truck Wreck Gar, etc. that would be interesting to see homaged in a new setting.
I just feel like if they did Beast Wars Inferno with a big nose stuck on his face, people would be right to not like that? So far, all of the Beast Wars updates (barring Rhinox, for whatever reason) have tried to look like their cartoon counterparts in robot mode. Should we have expected different?

Basically, I don't want "inspired by". I want to get the Scrapper, Mixmaster, etcetera that I didn't get before in the previous Animated line. And a new Sentinel Prime that actually has his big chin. Or otherwise what's the point? It would be like doing a long-legged Bulkhead. Missing the primary design points of the characters.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I just feel like if they did Beast Wars Inferno with a big nose stuck on his face, people would be right to not like that? So far, all of the Beast Wars updates (barring Rhinox, for whatever reason) have tried to look like their cartoon counterparts in robot mode. Should we have expected different?

Basically, I don't want "inspired by". I want to get the Scrapper, Mixmaster, etcetera that I didn't get before in the previous Animated line. And a new Sentinel Prime that actually has his big chin. Or otherwise what's the point? It would be like doing a long-legged Bulkhead. Missing the primary design points of the characters.

Oh, I totally get the desire, I just don't think that's what they're trying to do right now with Legacy. I would love to see more animation accurate Animated style toys, but that's more something that would be put into a Studio Series type of line? I am 100% down with the idea of Studio Series being expanded to TV shows instead of sticking only to characters that appeared (even briefly) in the movies.

As for the Beast Wars figures and why they're not G1'd, I'd say that just because, like is fairly common these days, those are spiritually Kingdom toys that didn't get made during that line, but are instead bleeding over into the next.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
It's funny you mention all that. One of the proposals Fun Pub conceptualized for BotCon but ultimately did not carry out was "Transformers Unanimated", in which they used various CHUG molds to create de-Animated versions of Animated characters. Like, Optimus from Universe Inferno, Headmaster-controlled Starscream from Thrilling 30 Brainstorm, Sentinel Prime from Thrilling 30 Trailcutter, Wreck-Gar from Prime Breakdown, etc. The idea was ultimately turned down because, as creative as some of these mold suggestions were, it was realized that (just as you said) if you take the "Animated" out of Animated, you're just left with G1 (or whatever else was being homaged), regardless of any differences in altmode or deco.

Yet, Hasbro keeps advertising all the non-G1 toy characters as dimension-hoppers originating from alternate universes and not native to G1, who have crossed over into "the G1 universe" via portals.

Heh, what's funny about that is, at one of the last few BotCons, when I got to talk to Derrick Wyatt, I told him how some of those Animated-original character designs you mentioned were my favorite designs of the series; the ones that tried to do new things instead of just taking preexisting designs of characters from other series and just putting an Animated filter over them. But when I mentioned Prowl as being one of those original designs, he stopped me and insisted that Prowl is an Animated design of G1 Prowl. I told him that Prowl had been made different enough to be considered a new design, but he stubbornly refused to consider that the case. To him, Animated Prowl is G1 Prowl "Animated-ized", which is ludicrous. Prowl may have started out that way in the conceptual stages, but the end result is barely similar at all to G1 Prowl.

As for the Beast Wars figures and why they're not G1'd, I'd say that just because, like is fairly common these days, those are spiritually Kingdom toys that didn't get made during that line, but are instead bleeding over into the next.
It's also likely that the BW figures aren't G1-ified because, decades ago, we got a full cartoon that fully showed that the BW characters and their curvy designs (which are just as curvy as the TF: Prime designs, if not more curvy) are truly native to the the same world as the G1 characters and their boxy designs.

And therein likely lies the real reason that the Beast Wars figures are so faithfully curvy while the Prime figures have been boxified. The current Hasbro team apparently just cannot fathom the idea of Transformers that look like this coexisting the same world as Transformers who look like this, when they evidently have no problem with fathoming the idea of Transformers who look like this inhabiting the same world as those who look like this, all because of two cartoons that already established it as such a long time ago, despite the fact that these and these have significantly different aesthetics from each other, while these even look a LOT more like they could be related to these than to these.

The fact that the Beast Wars characters do exist in the same world as the G1 characters, despite having so different an aesthetic of their own, ought to be enough reason to let the Prime characters keep their aesthetic intact. After all, comics seem to have no trouble depicting characters from all across the multiverse coexisting in the same universes, in which their unique design aesthetics are all kept intact, whether it's instances of literal dimension-hopping (like in Fun Pub's TransTech stories) or cases where original characters from one continuity are transplanted wholecloth into another (like in IDW's 2005-2018 comics).

Last edited:

Top Bottom