The Repaint Concept Thread

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Every once and awhile I go back to the Cybertron Satellite Town Commanders (https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Town_Commander) and just marvel at the combination of weirdness and cool potential.

Not all of them would make awesome toys but a lot of them would and even the weird ones could work with a little reimagining. And since they are all based on existing molds (with some new sculpting details and colors) they are kinda an untapped goldmine of mold reuse potential imo.

Highest Potential:

* Akiba Prime - Prime Arcee in new colors with two "electric" short swords and small head and bike remold to just add ports to plug in the plastic lightning bolt looking ponytails/bike ribbons in each mode. Very cool design, very easy Legacy Prime Arcee reuse.

* Itami Prime - An Autobot Seeker! Striking aquamarine, black and grey colors. Unique cool sword. Super obscure possible use of the Voyager Seeker mold. It's kinda a crime this hasn't happened.

*Hiroshima Prime - I know this one's never gonna happen just from the US associations of the name. That said it's a cool design: yellow and jagged-line decoed Trailbreaker with giant metal shields plugged into the side of each arm.

Could be great with just a little reimagining:

*Ikebukuro Prime - Very striking owl deco on Hot Rod with new headsculpt (night vision goggles look). Simply make the skyscraper guns new weapons that can plug over his shoulders or be held in his hands.

* Dimicron Prime - Start with an Optimus Prime, give him a very cool unique head based on an awesome Diaclone toy. Give him a cool color scheme and a gun mode Megatron accessory. Change needed: Please dump the racist old takara logo from the shoulder and replace it with an Autobot symbol. Otherwise really striking and cool original use for a Prime mold.

* Nanba Prime - Yes she falls in the sub-category of "stick silly town things" to an existing design town commanders. But she's a Rid Strongarm redeco and I love that. So maybe either just change the shoulder takoyaki to decos, like the logo for a takoyaki shop, or have them be some kind of plastic accessories that can plug in as armor/ be wielded as maces?

-ZacWilliam, I could go on for a bunch more of these, honestly for every one of these that's a bit too silly there's one that's a really great and fairly easy remold/redeco and they'd be a great fit for the crazy melting pot of Legacy.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Do you mean the team should have been called "City Commanders" instead of "Town Commanders" or that they should have been Ultra Nanba or Nanba Magnus, instead of Prime.

In-Universe that could make sense. Probably it's down to the Japanese "tradition" of lots different "Convoys"

ZacWilliam, also having town Primes is probably a bigger deal promotionally as the name has more clout than Magnus. And they were gonna sell exclusive matrixes for each (though only 2 were released.)

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Given Ultra Magnus was the City Commander, I wish they'd named them more in accordance with that.
It's not the same term, though.

Ultra Magnus's "City Commander" title in Japanese is just the English "City Commander" written in Katakana: シティコマンダー (Shiti Komandā).*

The Town Commanders are instead 町の司令官 (Machi no Shireikan), which more literally means "Town's Commander" or "Commander of the Town" due to the inclusion of the possessive の (no) in the middle, as opposed to how most Japanese commander ranks in Transformers lack any possessive--For example, Optimus's Japanese rank of "Supreme Commander" is 総司令官 (Sōshireikan).

The term used for "Town" in this case is 町 (Machi), which, according to Wikipedia, is different from the term used to refer to a "City" in Japan, which is 市, (Shi). And not every location for each Town Commander is a town or a city; some of them are merely districts, entertainment/business areas, or even wards. In these cases, these smaller areas within a larger city are also sometimes referred to as 町 (Machi). See "Towns of Japan" and "Cities of Japan" for the differences.

So there's a number of layers to the terminology the Japanese have chosen to use for this situation, layers that are lost on most of us who don't fully know the language or the culture involved. I myself only realized all this after having just now looked into the matter.

* -- Yeah yeah, laugh it up over how he was a lousy leader.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Do you mean the team should have been called "City Commanders" instead of "Town Commanders" or that they should have been Ultra Nanba or Nanba Magnus, instead of Prime.
The latter, making them Ultras or Magnuses instead of Primes.

Or potentially even their own designation.

...though now, I'm not sure that's really in accordance with what Sabrblade said, so maybe not.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The latter, making them Ultras or Magnuses instead of Primes.

Or potentially even their own designation.

...though now, I'm not sure that's really in accordance with what Sabrblade said, so maybe not.
Furthermore, they all bear a version of the 司令官 (Shireikan) rank, which in Japanese Transformers is typically held by Convoys or Primes.

Seeing as they all came about when Transformers: Prime was the current series airing in Japan (and since Japan never got Season 3, the season when Ultra Magnus showed up), making them all Primes seems pretty intentional.

Rycochet

Citizen
TZJNd9c.png

QR5GiTE.png

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Every once and awhile I go back to the Cybertron Satellite Town Commanders (https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Town_Commander) and just marvel at the combination of weirdness and cool potential.

Not all of them would make awesome toys but a lot of them would and even the weird ones could work with a little reimagining. And since they are all based on existing molds (with some new sculpting details and colors) they are kinda an untapped goldmine of mold reuse potential imo.

Highest Potential:
[snip].

*Hiroshima Prime - I know this one's never gonna happen just from the US associations of the name. That said it's a cool design: yellow and jagged-line decoed Trailbreaker with giant metal shields plugged into the side of each arm.

So, rumor of a MP yellow Trailbreaker coming and... There *IS* one existing official Yellow Trailbreaker character: Cybertron Satellite Town Commander Hiroshima Prime!

Hiroshima Prime - Transformers Wiki

I would be very surprised if Takara went to that obscure a well, but it seems like it would be a cool and easy sticker set for someone to do.

-ZacWilliam, and maybe some third party shell shields.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Oh, I thought these guys were part of G1 over there. My bad. Yeah, that makes sense, then.
No, I meant that they were first created during the years when TF: Prime was the main series in Japan that Takara was focusing on the most, meaning Takara likely had Primes on the brain at that time when they created these guys.

Top Bottom