The 2022 Midterms Thread

Dake

Citizen
On the subject of political ads, I wonder if any of the more moderate Republicans that managed to survive the primaries have been the subject of attack ads from the far right. Because we've talked about the possibility of them being that petty, but I have yet to see it firsthand.
Oh I've seen plenty of attack ads from further right repubs in Texas... That's correct, a not insignificant portion of Texas voters think Abbott, Paxton, Patrick, Cruise, etc aren't right enough. They've since lined up behind them, but the primaries were brutal.

Anyway, I am expecting the worst and confident I'll still be surprised by how bad it goes.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
I'd suggest for most here that once you've voted, check out for the rest of the day. Don't bother watching the news, don't check pollwatchers every 5 minutes(maybe once or twice tonight after polls close?). No matter who comes out ahead, the news media is gonna be milking anything they can drama up for eyeballs, and other than your vote your attention isn't going to have -any- effect on what happens afterward. All it'll give you is ulcers and anxiety, and justify MSM's "Horse race" tactics.

Just let it all go, accept you've done what you can within the process, and enjoy some peace before we have to dive back into the fray decided by the end results and legal shenanigans we'll undoubtedly see after. (Exception of course being any poll workers, vote counters, and official election observers here, since that IS their job, and hats off to you folk for dealing with it all.)

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Also remember that even if the Dems lose both houses, it's a setback, not the end.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
IF we lose the House the GOP will government shutdown us into a recession, which they will 100% own. Next summer when gas doesn't magically go back down to 2 bucks they're going to own that too. The party will emerge in 2024 damaged as hug.

Be careful what you wish for Republicans.

Anyway I expect to get most of my news tonight in this thread, and to spend some time grieving losses with friends. Better than doing it alone.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well that was almost painless. Turnout in my area is good. For some reason they had trouble finding me in the records but we got it sorted out. At least the tabulation machine seemed to work.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Ohio's still using the paper ballots you fill in like a standardized test and feed into a scanner, so pretty painless. There's an amendment on the ballot this year to block 17-year-olds from voting in the primaries, so I voted against that... nothing as interesting as the amendment from 2006 to ban public smoking; that'll be a fun one to tell people about when I'm old. Also there's been an ad on YouTube reminded people to research judicial candidates, so I looked over those last night—good thing too, because both of the candidates for one of the positions had no official party affiliation.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Exit polls. Nothing good for us in there. Older electorate versus 2018, with a largely negative view on the President.

Ugh. Anyway the news should start pouring in soon.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
IF we lose the House the GOP will government shutdown us into a recession, which they will 100% own. Next summer when gas doesn't magically go back down to 2 bucks they're going to own that too. The party will emerge in 2024 damaged as hug.
Implying Big Oil (and all the other companies who have been using "inflation" as an excuse to jack up prices just because) won't lower prices just to fool people into thinking that a Republican-run country is good for their wallets, knowing that if they lose in 2024, there goes their lobbying money again.

Exit polls. Nothing good for us in there. Older electorate versus 2018, with a largely negative view on the President.
I want to say this is because the young people have been voting by mail... in which case we're gonna have trouble when the polls close, the media immediately reports a victory for the Republicans, and the Democrats' votes haven't actually been counted yet.

Ungnome

Citizen
The MAGA branch of the Republican party has already decided that ANY results that end up with an R losing a race is fraudulent, so we were gonna have trouble either way.

Dake

Citizen

Be careful what you wish for Republicans.

If any of that were true we wouldn't be where we are now because that's all they've done to some degree or another since 1980.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
DeSantis and Rubio are running away with this thing and we don't even have the Panhandle yet.

Ungnome

Citizen
The Republicans have convinced the Cuban-American population that the Democrats are bad for them. That's why. It's also where well-off old people go to retire.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The Republicans have convinced the Cuban-American population that the Democrats are bad for them. That's why. It's also where well-off old people go to retire.

Osceola County is more Puerto Rican and it appears to have flipped red too. This is a massacre.

Ungnome

Citizen
Wouldn't call it a massacre. Now if DeSantis and Rubio were winning by double digits(which they aren't, as of yet) I might be inclined to agree. There's a LOT of dissent in Florida. Hopefully we can get them next time.

Top Bottom