Tell Your Tale Discussion Thread-Salute Our Shorts

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So we are just weekly again. We won.

The party cannon lives.

You're grown up now, Misty. You don't sleep next to a wall anymore.

They can't help it, Misty. You're just too adorable.

Is this episode supposed to explain why she decided to be a double agent instead of totally leaving Opaline's castle?

I sympathize, Misty. I didn't sleep last night either.

That is the mightiest pillow fort I've ever seen.

"I'll eat it."

Opaline isn't considered a pony?

Now the artists won't have to redo the layout of the main bedroom to accommodate Misty!

I swear they are trying to make it seem that Bridlewood is like right there next to Mare Time Bay and I'm not buying it. No way when the ponies were in their 'all other tribes are evil' phase would they have just not put up a wall or something if they were that close.

Well in an earlier draft of the film Maretime Bay did have a giant wall. So the distance made more sense when they originally planned it.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Misty's moving in! The good news is that she owns almost NOTHING so her move will be quick and easy! The BAD news is...she's gonna need to go on a shopping trip. She doesn't even seem to own a blanket of her own. I'm sure Izzy would make her whatever she would need...but she's probably better off buying stuff unless she wants a uni-cycled garbage bag as a pillow.

Wow, they painted her picture on their wall. Commitment!

I guess they ran out of rooms so they just had to plop her bed down in the middle of a room.

Every night's going to be a sleepover. EVERY. NIGHT.

Oh...this is actually a plot point. I was kidding earlier.

Mood lighting IS the secret ingredient of any crafting venture, after all.

"You're NEVER going to be alone EVER again!" Literally! We have a tracking device somewhere on your person so we can find you in case Opaline tries to kidnap you so we can track you back down again!

Aw, the moments that she realizes the Mane 5 are probably the worst roommates ever.

*Sunny trying to cram 30 oranges into a blender* Girl, you RUN a smoothie cart! I mean... I guess maybe that's the problem? Maybe she's used to larger industrial-sized blenders?

Sleep-Izzy is instinctively trying to get Madam Taffytail to meet Senior Butterscotch. They're meant to be together!

Oh, Izzy sleep hovering over your bed while snoring WOULD be pretty distracting.

No, the pillow fort is a private place. A SAFE PLACE!

The Mane 5 are harder to live with than Opaline. That's....heartbreaking but probably accurate. Opaline at least likes her beauty sleep.

My goodness, Alphabittle's pretty good at this "wise parental wisdom" thing. I guess he's been saving up nuggets of wisdom since he lost Misty.

No, no. They didn't leave because of YOU Misty. They've just been kidnapped by rogue racoonicorns. The uprising has begun! You know, a average Thursday for these guys.

D'AWWW! They've been taking home movies with Misty! Offscreen! Without her knowing, somehow! Filming her with their phones without her knowing, probably! Kind of creepy when you think about it, but also sweet!
I swear they are trying to make it seem that Bridlewood is like right there next to Mare Time Bay and I'm not buying it

If you literally have to run a marathon to run home for hot chocolate... you aren't going to drink a lot of hot chocolate.

To be fair, Misty in particular has a lot of practice, from going back and forth from Opaline's castle this whole time. Misty knows how to power walk!

Also: who votes to strap down izzy before bed?
Yeah, I'm a little surprised they haven't figured out a solution at this point. At least put her on a leash so she can only hover in a circle around her bed or something.

Last edited:

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Because there's no way "Izzy, don't forget your leash before bed" will ever fly in a children's cartoon, even if they were dogs and not ponies.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I have to give this episode something. I didn't like the idea of the Misty/Alphabittle relationship when it was introduced, but here I didn't think about it. They're making it work.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen

Gross. This entire thing is gross. Unicorns are gross count infinity. Just BLEH.

As fun as it is seeing Misty be bad ass, the entire premise of this. If it was maybe just normal pies sure, but they say it's rotten food and show some of it getting shoved in mouths, just BLEH. I hate this. I hate this so much.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
So, I'm guessing Maretime Bay has a holiday centered around food fights? Those ponies sure do love their holidays.

Why does so much of the food look so old, though?

Why is EVERYONE going after Misty? Misty's done nothing to deserve this...other than attempt to kidnap a baby repeatedly...but she's done her time for that!

Izzy's leaves no friend behind!

Friday Night Food Fight? This happens EVERY Friday?!

It's SPECIFICALLY old food. Okay...Unicorns are gross count: 1. Or...infinity, since this has been happening EVERY Friday for hundreds of years.

On the bright side...I guess this is one way to make and maintain a compost heap for the forest?

The more Misty learns about her unicorn heritage, the more confused she becomes.

This is so much grosser knowing it's all expired and rotten food.

This is even happening within the Bridlewood city limits. Who's cleaning all of this afterward?

Misty sure has some SEVERE amnesia, given that she just doesn't remember a SINGLE THING from her past. Is this supposed to be a plot point, or was Misty just that young when she got kidnapped? In MYM, she looked maybe CMC's age-ish.

ALPHABITTLE NOOOOO!

Well...Alphabittle had a good run. He'll be missed.

Why is Alphabittle surprised that Misty doesn't remember this? She doesn't remember ANYTHING.

Oh no, baby Misty! Where's my heart pills?! Oh, her little dance.

Misty started all this? So...I guess it hasn't been happening for HUNDREDS of years. Maybe ten-ish? (It was me. It was me. It was me.)

On the bright side...is this one of the best G5 songs we've gotten so far?

Misty's skills have REALLY leveled up, somehow! The old Misty would still be falling all over herself! I guess she's a lot more competent when she isn't using her talents for evil.

...Why does Misty's "war paint" make me think more of Naruto than Rambo?

Izzy, you just said all this food was rotten, please don't snack on it.

Apparently, rotten eggs are a step too far. Really?

Well, Misty just put those rotten grapes in her mouth so she could shoot them out like a machine gun. She's really one of them, now!

Wait, are those jawbreakers? How do jawbreakers go bad?

*Smacked in the face with a stale baguette* Well, that pony's neck is snapped.

Spaghetti of Babylon! (...It's a Fate/Stay Night reference)

Unlimited Leftover Works!

"Hasta la vista, ponies" One of Misty's most impressive moments....if it wasn't so gross.

Oh...oh no...oh, that's not natural. Food does NOT decompose that quickly. I mean, it's a magic forest but...magic didn't come back until about a year ago in-world. This is something else. Something...unnatural. Living among the unicorns must have created some sort of hyper-bacteria!

The prize is...more food. I would think after all that, the LAST thing anyone would want would be food.

"THAAAT'S more like it" True.. Misty's competence only comes out when she's using it for someone else, I guess.

Last edited:

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Misty probably blanked out her own early memories fairly early on in her... internment... with opaline. If only as a means of normalizing her life at that point. Frankly, it honestly seems like a lot of her behaviors stems from PTSD from being subservient to a narcissistic, immortal, anti-social shut in.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
New episode this week. But it is wildly out of sync with MYM. Beware MAJOR SPOILERS.

The TYT crew has so much fun with Opaline. Oh hey, she still has her pet.

She's announcing herself. Wow we are wildly out of sync with MYM now.

Her dragon friends.

Sad.

This is so out of sync that I feel like I shouldn't be watching it. This is the big finale of a chapter we didn't see.

Izzy puts up the best fight.

Misty finally confronts Opaline.

Alicorn battle, round 2. And once again TYT clearly saved up to splurge on the animation here.

So many plot threads coming together here, and we missed so much along the way.

This is going to be a good finale.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Opaline never did get that laugh-cough looked at. I guess I'm not sure who a villain goes to for medical checkups. She's a immortal, she was probably alive before insurance was a thing.

*Massive amounts of fire* Never say Opaline isn't one to put on a show. She knows how to SELL her villainy...even if it does get out of hand. Her little screams of terror...heh.

*Burps* So, I'm guessing these are bloopers from a message she's going to send in MYM later?

"Poo-nies" I mean, at least Opaline CAN laugh at herself. She's really not ALL bad.

"Do I KNOW you?" Posey, she stole your cutie mark. Did the TYT guys not get that bit of info?

*Pipp screaming* I mean, it's just a video...from a magical supervillain who COULD very well put a curse on said video...okay, fair enough, continue screaming.

ALPHABITTLE, NOOOOO! Now who will make the tea for all the beatnik unicorns? WHO?!

"I liked that cutie mark...sad..." All things considered, Windy's taking it pretty well.

Wow, we ARE skipping over a LOT of battles in this one.

They got Hitch's cutie Mark! NOOO...now there's no one to do paperwork!

*Pipp trying to distract them with singing* It was a noble attempt, but Opaline's more into heavy metal.

Oh....Opaline's necklace is a Infinity Gauntlet for important cutie marks. Okay. I'm not sure what that does for her that other cutie marks don't, but the Unity Crystal sure doesn't like it.

Izzy crafted a fake cutie-mark just to fake out Opaline. That's...brilliant. No one would see that coming. Izzy is the most adaptable pony once again.

They're really boiling down what's probably at least a two-parter into only 5 minutes, aren't they? This showoff between Opaline and Misty deserves more epic music.

...Is Opaline really livestreaming her eventual downfall?

Hopefully the Opaline/Sunny fight in MYM looks half as good as it does here. The animation is REALLY nice when it wants to be. I do like Opaline's "flaming" wings.

"You can't take what makes me ME!" G4 would disagree with you on that (gestures over to Starlight's "Equality" Spell and Magical Mystery Cure and The Cutie Pox), but FINE.

So, I guess the Manes were the lock keeping the Unity Crystal together? All those other ponies didn't really matter as much as these 5 or 6.

Pipp's the one who inspires everyone else...alright, I like that. I mean, EVERYONE does know her.

Even POSEY'S joining in on the Unity Song. That girl's grown the most out of everyone in this cast. Posey's friendship saves us all count...1.

"Oh no, not group singing! Nothing good happens to me when ponies start singing at me!"

Wait the...TREE stole her cutie mark from her? What? Is the tree evil or is the tree just extracting justice? Was the tree actually a caccoon for a greater evil? This tree feels sinister, is all I'm saying. Even if it is LITERALLY powered by Friendship.

And...I guess they don't NEED the Unity Crystals anymore, since they ARE using magic without them?

The whole "You can't take what makes me ME" thing didn't really work out for Opaline, now did it? Just sayin'.

That's...kind of a more horrifying end for Opaline than I was expecting, really.

But, now who's going to take care of Opaline's little trash-panda? I guess Izzy's probably looking for a pet.

Hmm...notably we don't see the Unity Crystals pop back up at the end, but the Brighthouse is still shining. So...I guess they aren't getting destroyed like I expected them to.

Also...we did not see what happened to the evil Dragons. Hmm... I mean, they looked pretty mind controlled to me, but still, weird to leave them out.

Last edited:

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
Yeah, here's hoping the next chapter of MYM is even half as awesome as this.

"You can't take what makes me ME!" G4 would disagree with you on that (gestures over to Starlight's "Equality" Spell and Magical Mystery Cure and The Cutie Pox), but FINE.
Well you might have something with the "Equality" spell, but your other examples work against you. The cutie pox didn't make Applebloom someone she wasn't. It just made her have to do things the new cutie marks forced upon her. Didn't really take away her true talent, which she didn't even understand yet.

And the Mystery Cure's whole point was basically they were still THEM deep down. That's the whole point of Twilight getting them to do the things they enjoyed/had a talent for, which fixed them. They were still them deep down.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
Fair, but G5 ponies don't remember any of that.
I'm going to be honest, I'm not sure what you're trying to convey with that. How does the G5 ponies not knowing that affect anything? The point made was Sunny said: "You can't take away what makes me ME! And used two events in the past to back it up. Two events I mentioned from my perspective don't really back that up. The fact that G5 ponies don't know those events doesn't change that in any way.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Well you might have something with the "Equality" spell, but your other examples work against you

Eh, I'd still say the other two examples work. In all three instances, we see that Cutie Marks have FAR more influence on ponies in G4 than in G5. And all three required outside intervention to change things back to normal. No one was able to change back to normal by sheer force of will or something.

In the Cutie Pox, Applebloom got a "fake" cutie mark that gave her a talent. And there's every indication that if things didn't go comically wrong, she would have just kept using that talent, because she was now good at that thing. If she didn't get a dozen OTHER cutie marks that forced a intervention, I think she could have "overwritten" her true self and her "destiny". Maybe she would have been perfectly happy just being REALLY talented at something and being able to show off, or maybe she would've ended up miserable in the end and sick of her "fake" talent. But, with her being so young, this spell MIGHT have been able to change her "destiny" just because it would have longer to influence her during her development. Maybe it didn't "take away" what makes Applebloom herself, but it MIGHT have CHANGED who she would have ended up being, which is similar enough in my book.

In Magical Mystery Cure, while the spell was flawed, the spell still did make the Mane 6 act and remember things differently. They changed who they were. And it WOULD have been permanent if there weren't ponies outside the reach of the spell's effect. Sure, they were still themselves DEEP down, but they couldn't remember any of that without a outside force jogging their memory. If Twilight (or maybe one of the other Princesses, I'm not sure if Celestia was watching all this and would have stepped in if Twilight failed or not) hadn't been there, they'd still be stuff all mixed up, probably. Again, it didn't CHANGE who they were DEEP down, but it changed what they did and how they acted. It changed who they THOUGHT they were. And, again, I think that's close enough to being the same thing, for the purposes of a comparison.

I don't know, it just seems like Cutie Marks were WAY more powerful in G4, in general. I guess we'll have to see what happens in MYM. We haven't seen anyone stop doing what they love, or be less talented at actually DOING it because they lost their cutie marks in G5 yet. But, we have a little in G4. But, we also really haven't focused on the ponies who have lost their cutie marks and what that actually means for them in G5. The Cutie Mark Magic is just a little different between generations, maybe?

Honestly, I still don't understand how anyone even GOT Cutie Marks during the gap between G4 and G5, if all the magic was gone. I was hoping the show would explain that, but so far every indication is that they're just...not going there. And to be fair, it IS a very nitpicky nerdy thing to want answered, but I'm a nitpicky nerdy person, so sue me.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm going to be honest, I'm not sure what you're trying to convey with that. How does the G5 ponies not knowing that affect anything? The point made was Sunny said: "You can't take away what makes me ME! And used two events in the past to back it up. Two events I mentioned from my perspective don't really back that up. The fact that G5 ponies don't know those events doesn't change that in any way.

Honestly I don't know where I'm going with it either.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen

And a new TYT today as well. Man we are being SPOILED.

Speaking of spoiling stuff. DO NOT WATCH THIS UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN THE LATEST BATCH OF EPISODES. REPEAT DO NOT WATCH UNTIL AFTER CHAPTER 6!

Okay, so was the crystal ball actually magic? Why was Pipp squawking like a bird?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I can now watch without fear of spoilers.

New friend is here. Still clumsy.

I'm not complaining about MYM's slow pace, but sometimes it's nice how quickly TYT moves.

It's Thanksgiving and I had pie today.

Yeah I would not be able to resist this. Show me my future.

I love how TYT ears do have some ragdoll physics. They can't compete with MYM's ear budget, but they know it's morally obligatory to give us something.

Eine kleine Nachtmusik again.

It's okay Sunny. I hear voices too. You can totally live with it.

Sparky's tummy is rumbling. My cursor hovers over the pause button. This is more intense than any horror movie I've ever seen.

I don't know if MYM is getting renewed but we are keeping the new villain. I do trust TYT to handle this on its own if it has to. This crew has shown that they can handle a major villain battle. They've done it twice and done it well.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Wow, they sure expected you to watch those new episodes NOW! Like RIGHT NOW! Interesting way to introduce Comet. This is why I had to wait until NOW to watch this.

*Tower of Pony-lon* I don't even know how they DID that!

So...I guess they're already doing pen pals with the Starlight dimension? What is the postage for a package that comes between worlds?

So...they're going to keep doing this glitter effect for Comet ALL the time, then? It's...a little distracting. Impressive...but distracting.

Izzy...if you ALREADY lost the magic crystal that allows communication between magical lands...

And of course she's already turned it into a bracelet. Izzy's gonna Izzy.

They're just going there to shop now? Maybe this IS a little too convenient for them...

With the banquet, I guess this IS a pretty fitting episode for Thanksgiving.

Even in this other magical land, Zipp can't escape her queenly destiny.

"Well, HELLO, you spooky little hut-thingy!" Oh, Izzy. I love how she just jumps right in without thinking.

Sunny's already getting visions of a certain flying-cat villain, it seems. Or is this her brother?

Once again, Pipp is ALL IN for the spooky stuff.

Find the kind of man who will bring you a whole pie.

Well, these fortunes are...incredibly immediate.

Okay, the bird-sqwaking thing is weird.

"Did you say...PURRING? *AAAAAH*" She's just REALLY allergic to cats.

"Maybe it just means you'll meet a SUPER CUTE KITTEN, tonight" Way to stay positive, Misty!

It's just going to turn out that she's hungry, isn't it? She's just got a rumbly in her tumbly.

Star-themed cotton candy. Way to stay on brand.

Oh, it's just Sparky...OH NO! Don't you do it!

I really don't know how I feel about Izzy being the keeper of the gateway between worlds.

So yeah, TYT's got MYM's plots and are ready and williing to finish them out. These plots are in good hands!

You know, I thought the credits might give us some new background character names, but the fortune teller is just "Fortune Teller Auroracorn". That's a shame.

Last edited:

Top Bottom