Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Lobjob

Citizen
Yeah, that's what I figured.

Also, its an off joke in a trailer and Kirk could just be playing around. I'm more wondering why we needed Jim in this show at all after last seasons episode, but alas.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I really hate that they didn't color his hair to match Shatners in TOS. They say, this is James Kirk, and I am like "riiiiiigghhttt".

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Well, we don't know how early the baby was born. Now, babies can be viable if born months early. Imagine what they could do in the 23rd century. If Kirk was born a month early due to stress, then that would be plenty of time for the Kelvin to get back to Earth.
I will certainly concede that the direction of those movies made it look like it took no time at all to travel between distant star systems....

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I will certainly concede that the direction of those movies made it look like it took no time at all to travel between distant star systems....
Yeah, I never liked that in the Kelvinverse films. Like 12 hours form Earth to Qunos and nothing is going to stop us between those two points.

Covert Agent Rodimal

Citizen
Until Picard Season 3 SNW was my favorite "new" Trek show, but that guy playing Kirk ranks as one of the worst casting choices ever.

I like Paul Wesley has an actor so I'm reserving judgements, but I do think they missed a chance. They casted the guy play Jack Crusher in Picard in the wrong part. All I can think when I see him is James T. Kirk.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Until Picard Season 3 SNW was my favorite "new" Trek show, but that guy playing Kirk ranks as one of the worst casting choices ever.

It's definitely not ideal. Judging by the trailer, they seem to be trying to push him as charming by making the normally unflappable La'an getting all flustered and hot for him... but I still just can't buy it.

It doesn't help that Anson Mount's Pike is just so goddamn charming; what little Wesley might have is just completely washed out in the glare.

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
So was it established canon that Kirk joined the Enterprise around this time and worked his way up? Is that why he's here? Or did the SNW people actually think it was a good idea?

I like Paul Wesley has an actor so I'm reserving judgements, but I do think they missed a chance. They casted the guy play Jack Crusher in Picard in the wrong part. All I can think when I see him is James T. Kirk.
I like Jack way too much to agree. Even if he'd be the best of all possible Kirks, I'd still rather have him where he is, especially if Legacy happens.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well the best Wish Captain Kirk was played by a guy nobody likes anymore due to real life stuff. Shame he messed so much up for so many people.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
So was it established canon that Kirk joined the Enterprise around this time and worked his way up? Is that why he's here? Or did the SNW people actually think it was a good idea?
I'm thinking it was the latter. I'm certainly not aware of any canon suggesting Kirk was on the Enterprise prior to being captain, and had thought that it was established in The Menagerie that he didn't really know Pike.

Covert Agent Rodimal

Citizen
In the "original" timeline they supposedly met only once; when Jim took command of the Enterprise, but with all the whibbly wobbly timywimy that's been happening the last several years in all of Trek, who knows.

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
Huh. I don't mind about what's canon-accurate, but I thought maybe if he was supposed to be there, I could understand why they did that. I feel like his mere presence breaks the conceit of the show.

Axaday

Citizen
Star Trek has sometimes thrown away a line from an old show and overwritten it when they had a good reason to do so and to good effect. But I'm a little reluctant on this one. It isn't just a line that they'd met once in passing command protocols. It is that Spock has this loyalty to Pike that drives him to commit a capital offense to relieve his tragedy and Kirk who you'd expect that sort of behavior from is really a bystander. I guess Kirk wouldn't have had the idea because he probably doesn't know about Talos IV, but still...

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well the best Wish Captain Kirk was played by a guy nobody likes anymore due to real life stuff. Shame he messed so much up for so many people.

He really did a good impression of TOS Kirk, even though he as a bit short for the role.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
He really did a good impression of TOS Kirk, even though he as a bit short for the role.
I don't know if you're making a joke or a reference to something I'm not getting but Vic Mignogna and William Shatner are both 5'10"

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't know if you're making a joke or a reference to something I'm not getting but Vic Mignogna and William Shatner are both 5'10"
He just looked a bit shorter than Kirk did in TOS compared to the other big three of the cast. Its been a while since I met him in Atlanta, but that 5'10" is probably exaggerated.

1682441507077.png

Although perhaps its my memory that is faulty, as here is a picture of the original trio:

1682441666833.png

Regardless of that, I did enjoy his performance as Kirk.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This is going to be like the last episode of Enterprise right, where its a holodeck episode for the Lower Decks crew? It has to be eihter that or a time travel episode.

Top Bottom