Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
Either possibility seems valid. I've been assuming time travel, but LD has done a lot of wild holodeck stuff. Still leaning towards time travel because, for the show to be a part of SNW and in live action, it seems like the presence of Boimler and Mariner has to be something that happens from the perspective of the Enterprise crew.

Dake

Citizen
Based on the tiny bit of Boimler's reaction, I'm guessing time travel. A Lower Decks holo program wouldn't leave him stuttering.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Spock and Chapel's kiss followed by an effusive nerd happy dance is massive spoilers but also I get it guy, I get it

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
I really have no idea how well Boimler and Mariner are going to mesh with SNW. I guess maybe them not meshing will be the point. Feels so easy to go to far with the characters to the point they come off cringey or annoying when taken out of their normal enviroment

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
I really have no idea how well Boimler and Mariner are going to mesh with SNW. I guess maybe them not meshing will be the point. Feels so easy to go to far with the characters to the point they come off cringey or annoying when taken out of their normal enviroment

Boimler's stuttering on the transporter bad pretty much stole the show as far as the trailer was concerned, so I have high hopes for that episode.

Last edited:

AgentOrange

Citizen
Cringey and annoying is Bradward in a nutshell. That's a feature not a bug.

Cybersnark

Citizen
I tend to find Mariner far more obnoxious, though she matured a bit in season 2; hopefully this'll be more in tune with their more serious S2 characterization.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Season 2 is back! First episode aired last night, but I didn't get a chance to watch it yet.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
Was a decent episode although some people seemed to really hate it. I mostly liked it, some of it felt like it could have done with better editing. Some really curious camera work in places.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
There was only two things that really seemed questionable in any way...

1) The crew mistaking the homebuilt Fed ship as a Crossfield. The saucer resembled one, but the rest did not. Even though the Discovery was destroyed, you'd think the silhouette would still be well known after it's "War heroism". The momentary camera rest on Spock made it obvious he knew(he was on one after all!), and didn't say anything for multiple reasons, and this is a minor quibble, but still.

2) I'm kind of surprised a little that they didn't make our apparent new chief engineer an El Aurian. From what little we've been told of Lanthanites, El Aurians fit the same description - hid on Earth and lived among humans, extremely long lived, and her insight and gravitas would have made a decent match. I suppose there's no reason not to make another species that did the same thing, or she's got something unique going on that will come up later in the season, but it's a bit of a missed opportunity I think.

Kup

Citizen
So about that…

I wish they hadn’t gone with that accent. Going to make listening to her talk this year very difficult…especially since it felt so…forced?

Dake

Citizen
There was only two things that really seemed questionable in any way...

1) The crew mistaking the homebuilt Fed ship as a Crossfield. The saucer resembled one, but the rest did not. Even though the Discovery was destroyed, you'd think the silhouette would still be well known after it's "War heroism". The momentary camera rest on Spock made it obvious he knew(he was on one after all!), and didn't say anything for multiple reasons, and this is a minor quibble, but still.

2) I'm kind of surprised a little that they didn't make our apparent new chief engineer an El Aurian. From what little we've been told of Lanthanites, El Aurians fit the same description - hid on Earth and lived among humans, extremely long lived, and her insight and gravitas would have made a decent match. I suppose there's no reason not to make another species that did the same thing, or she's got something unique going on that will come up later in the season, but it's a bit of a missed opportunity I think.

1) I assume it was just a case of mistaken identity that wasn't really important in the moment - though the fact the the transponder was reporting the ship's name and class yet we never actually heard what it is seemed strange. Maybe there will be a throwaway conversation when Pike gets back. One could posit it was assembled from various parts collected from any number of battles during the war. That being said, the interweb says there was another one at Starbase 1, NCC-1276, so it's more likely it's just another random variation.

2) The accent doesn't bother me - it's just her doing her "little old Jewish lady" voice (which is what she is I suppose). But as much as I love Kane, she talks soo slowly. It worked when she was playing Lillian on Kimmy Schmidt who's high most of the time; it works a little less here. Still, I think I'll get used to it - I could see it being related to the fact that she's seldom in a hurry since she's so long-lived.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the ep even if the most basic premise has become such a standard ST staple. Great character work as always.

It happens with enough frequency you think Starfleet would have updated their security protocols by the time ST:III comes along.

Dvandom

Citizen
I generally enjoyed the episode, but have two thoughts:

1) Looks like Kirk's tenure will be lauded for a marked drop in crime-ing by comparison to Pike's time.
2) Not keen on the whole "torture works" message.

---Dave

Copper Bezel

Citizen
I took Spock's response to be more about figuring out what was going on with the ship not being a real Starfleet ship. Right now, the closest I can come to a possible explanation is that this Crossfield / Walker / Constitution hybrid is the "real" Crossfield class, and the Discovery and Glenn were rebuilt to suit the spore drive. It's not a good fit to reconcile with Disco S1, because I feel like you've crossed the point at which it starts being a new class, but what actually reconciles with Disco S1?

I didn't like this though. There were a few good moments but the plot was a lot of noise amounting to nothing and I dread a potential "Gorn war arc". I'd rather have spent the episode with Pike's perspective and then just found out about what happened on Pandora in an unhelpful summary that raised more questions than it answered. Like if I'd only heard that Chapel and Mbenga fistfought their way through a facility full of Klingons and a fake starship, I'd find it more plausible than seeing it.

Cybersnark

Citizen
I remind everyone that Secret-Hideout-Trek has always had an issue with the on-screen visual effects not matching the spoken dialogue (like something "three parsecs away from Earth" being shown in Earth orbit, or a full-size starship having a runabout-sized crew). It's entirely possible the writers had no say in what the directors and VFX people were doing (especially given the circumstances that led to the current strike).

So, yeah, this is what Crossfield-class ships look like now. Deal with it.

Top Bottom