Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
Kirk is a guy from Iowa who lives in space and is for some reason hanging out in Toronto two centuries before he was born, making a joke that's probably a callback to something earlier in the episode we haven't seen. Jesus people

wentwood

Citizen
I saw Series I on DVD and after Picard finishes Part 30 this week I might hold for DVD on Series II.

The Mandalorian is on break so I need to catch the new episodes up. It would be after Doctor Who when things go on break on Disney + to watch the new Star Trek episodes.

I rotate feeds depending on who's active. Picard Part 30 drops today for their finale.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That trailer looks good to me!

As far as the Klingons goes, the virus did affect most of them, but some of them were immune to it, so it could be one of them. Another possibility is that they could've undergone reconstructive surgery/treatment like the TOS Klingons that were featured in DS9 did. Cannon-wise, its been about 50 years since the augment virus and we know that in the next 20 years, (TMP era) that most of the Klingons have their ridges back either through cosmetic surgery or some sort of treatment. So if we see one now looking like a traditional Klingon, I won't begrudge them that, as it seems that most of the TOS Klingons we saw were the last to get the treatment/surgery.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
You're correct. And if this was in the Kelvin timeline that would be applicable. But since this is the "prime" timeline Kirk wouldn't have been born in space because that was the divergance as you said.
I don't think you understood his line of logic (it's possible that *I'm* the one misunderstanding, but bear with me).

In the Kelvin timeline, Kirk was born JUST after the point of divergence.

If we assume that everything prior to that divergence point was the same, then we have to assume that Kirk's mother was REALLY close to giving birth in space in the Prime universe. It's still possible that the trauma of the Narada attack didn't trigger an early birth, but the set-up there still makes it implausible that she'd get to Earth before giving birth (Kirk's comments in ST4 notwithstanding).

All that said, I think the Kelvin timeline diverges in ways that aren't well-explained by assuming everything pre-Narada was the same, but canon since the 2009 movie has thus far tended to reinforce the "everything prior was the same" argument as opposed to my own.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
The 2009 movies would have made infinitely more sense as a normal-ass reboot and caused many fewer headaches that way, but we know they wanted to respect Trek's tradition of a huge single timeline as well as entice fans who wouldn't be interested in a no-stakes spinoff. I think the result was the worst of both worlds and we got one good movie out of it that would have worked equally well without the timeline conceit. (And a damn fine retrofuturistic Enterprise reimagination - to keep in a separate display.) So if canon is willing to ignore Kelvin except for some broad strokes and keep the timeline changes contained within that timeline, I am quite happy to accept that too.

Also Kirk still doesn't say anything about where he was born in the joke we don't have the context for. Let's go back to parsing out the Klingons, at least I understand the basis for having a continuity argument there even if I reject it.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I just hope this season actually delivers on the premise which is "seek out new life and new civilizations" and give us the feeling of wonderment by encountering the unknown.

It's one of the things I think Voyager mostly did right when it was always running into aliens and trying to figure out the cultures

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Yeah, I'd say we only had it in the first season with episodes 2 and 8. Episodes 1 and 6 involved a new species, but in a very standard TNG morality play way, where the society is exactly like all of the other ones they encounter except fill in the blank, to the point that 6 is the only episode I really think of as "bad". Disco S4 did about as well or better - ship-sized gas giant inhabitants living in a Dyson shell are some high sci-fi concept stuff and they were played with a genuine sense of scale and wonder. I do appreciate SNW's general attitude though, that they can have a solar sail launch and frame it as a beautiful spectacle to take a moment and just experience. Much as TNG did at its best too, notably even in the premier.

wentwood

Citizen
In Star Trek IV Kirk said he was from Iowa.

They never mentioned anything in the relaunch trilogy about this.

All we can go by is what happened in Star Trek TOS unless it becomes official in the new time line.

Lobjob

Citizen
I mean, meeting new worlds and places get "trickier" when its a prequel. That in and of itself can make weird situations.

I wish the klingons gear looked more tos is all.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
In Star Trek IV Kirk said he was from Iowa.

They never mentioned anything in the relaunch trilogy about this.

All we can go by is what happened in Star Trek TOS unless it becomes official in the new time line.

Another thing to keep in mind is how people change as they get older. STIV Kirk is much older than SNW Kirk, and it's quite possible that when he was younger, he thought of space as home, but as he got older, he preferred to see space as where you go, not where your home is. It'd fit with the spectacles thing and the backwoods fantasy he had in the Nexus in Generations.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Yeah, the idea that they're dropping that line with no context not aware of the time he said the opposite thing that other time this exact thing happened to him is bonkers. This is like people objecting to the idea of Picard warming to the idea of children. Yes, it's different from the other thing, you got it!

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I mean, meeting new worlds and places get "trickier" when its a prequel. That in and of itself can make weird situations.

I wish the klingons gear looked more tos is all.

It shouldn't be that tricky. 90% of encounters from both the TOS and TNG have never been, or needed to be revisited.

SNW could meet a dozen new aliens and visit 15 new, undiscovered (at that time) worlds the audience has never seen before and it be perfectly fine.

That's probably *better* than Enterprise did trying to shoehorn legacy races into the show and contradict things when they could have just shown original stuff.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
Agreed. I do want some "strange new worlds" in my Strange New Worlds.

(I was also kinda bummed last year when there was little "new" in The Orville: New Horizons beyond those creepy spider people in the one episode).

The modern technology could really make some neat things come to life!

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah - this is best in another topic but I was stoked to see them heading off into the unknown parts of space only to turn around and revisit all the shit we already knew about. It was a good season, but would have been super cool to explore.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't think you understood his line of logic (it's possible that *I'm* the one misunderstanding, but bear with me).

In the Kelvin timeline, Kirk was born JUST after the point of divergence.

If we assume that everything prior to that divergence point was the same, then we have to assume that Kirk's mother was REALLY close to giving birth in space in the Prime universe. It's still possible that the trauma of the Narada attack didn't trigger an early birth, but the set-up there still makes it implausible that she'd get to Earth before giving birth (Kirk's comments in ST4 notwithstanding).

All that said, I think the Kelvin timeline diverges in ways that aren't well-explained by assuming everything pre-Narada was the same, but canon since the 2009 movie has thus far tended to reinforce the "everything prior was the same" argument as opposed to my own.
My take on this is that the attack on the Kelvin makes his mom have an early birth. Think about it, his parents haven't even decided on a name yet. If not for the attack, the Kelvin would have made it back home and James T Kirk would have been born in Riverside, Iowa like he said in ST4. Now you could say that maybe Kirk claims he is from riverside, Iowa because he grew up there, but he wasn't as his family left and moved to the colony Tarsus IV, where they were some of the few to survive there.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
My take on this is that the attack on the Kelvin makes his mom have an early birth. Think about it, his parents haven't even decided on a name yet. If not for the attack, the Kelvin would have made it back home and James T Kirk would have been born in Riverside, Iowa like he said in ST4. Now you could say that maybe Kirk claims he is from riverside, Iowa because he grew up there, but he wasn't as his family left and moved to the colony Tarsus IV, where they were some of the few to survive there.
Just to be clear, I think it's pretty much stated straight out that the attack on the Kelvin makes Kirk's mom have an early birth. I'm not disputing that (with the caveat that I allowed some "possibility" to the contrary). My only real suggestion is that I don't think it's likely, given the pre-attack state of things, that Kirk's mom was going to be able to get to Earth before Kirk would have been born.

But, as someone else has pointed out. The only previous Prime universe canon on the matter is that Kirk was "from" Iowa, not that he was actually "born" there. There's some wiggle room on this yet.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Just to be clear, I think it's pretty much stated straight out that the attack on the Kelvin makes Kirk's mom have an early birth. I'm not disputing that (with the caveat that I allowed some "possibility" to the contrary). My only real suggestion is that I don't think it's likely, given the pre-attack state of things, that Kirk's mom was going to be able to get to Earth before Kirk would have been born.

But, as someone else has pointed out. The only previous Prime universe canon on the matter is that Kirk was "from" Iowa, not that he was actually "born" there. There's some wiggle room on this yet.
Well, we don't know how early the baby was born. Now, babies can be viable if born months early. Imagine what they could do in the 23rd century. If Kirk was born a month early due to stress, then that would be plenty of time for the Kelvin to get back to Earth.

Top Bottom