Sonic The Hedgehog

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I followed the box office last time, so here I go again.

Domestic: $71,000,000
Worldwide: $141,000,000

In one weekend Sonic 2 has already surpassed Morbius' totals to date. It is currently the sixth highest earner of the year. Gotta go fast.

Shadewing

Citizen
And once more Sonic trounces a Comic Book film, I wonder if we'll see as much butthurt from Marvel fans as we did DC when Sonic 1 beat out Harley Quinn.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Sonic 1 beat Harley Quinn?! Dang!

So are we getting a Sonic 3? My issue would be how would the newest character's personality be, since it'll be the same as Knuckles, without him being dumb. Clueless but not dumb.

Shadewing

Citizen
Oh yes, Harley Quinn fans were furious that Sonic 1 ran circles around Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey.

Its easy, because Shadow and Knuckles have never had the same personality; beyond being the rival character. Shadow is basically Vegeta from DBZ or Bakugo from MHA, with him wanting to prove himself superior to the main character, yet is pretty much always surpassed by him. Knuckles has always been "That guy that keeps getting tricked by Robotnik to think Sonic is a bad guy." And never actually had an real grudge with Sonic, til this movie. Shadow sees Sonic as a pale imitation of him, the Ultimate Lifeform, and his rivalry with Sonic, even after then kinda sorta became friends, is still about proving who is better.

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!
Citizen
AFAIK, 3 is already in early production. Paramount isn't stupid enough to let this success pass. I'm hoping for at least a solid trilogy. Three good Sonic movies and we can call it a success wherever it goes from there.

The Doctor Who

Citizen
I'm sure they would have included it, if SEGA hadn't published what amounts to a tech demo as a full game.

I swear I remember someone finding references to Chao hidden in the game data as cut content, but, like, Sonic 2k6 is basically made from the leftovers of a much better game that never got made.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
You know, for Shadow in Sonic 3, we kind of have a set up we've never had before. In these movies, for years, Sonic's never met another member of his own kind. He was even raised by another species. I could totally see him...at least WANTING to have Shadow be his big brother.

Not sure if Shadow in this version would be full of exposition dumps and LORE or not. He'd probably be our only chance to explore what happened to the hedgehog tribe in these movies and see what their culture was like. I could see him being VERY different in this version. Maybe, still considering himself the Ultimate Lifeform, but moreso the Ultimate Hedgehog Warrior or something. Maybe he's upset with Sonic for not "earning" his power the way hedgehogs are usually supposed to?

For some reason, I get the feeling it might kind of depend on what the plot ends up being for the third movie. But...I could see Donut Lord and Pretzel Lady getting ready to have a baby and Sonic being afraid that he won't be a part of their family anymore after that. And...then Shadow comes in and they both kind of rile each other up and bring out the worst in each other because of both of their own hang ups.

Last edited:

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
And once more Sonic trounces a Comic Book film, I wonder if we'll see as much butthurt from Marvel fans as we did DC when Sonic 1 beat out Harley Quinn.

I've been watching this thread and avoiding the spoiler tags after the movie came out since I do plan to watch it. Morbius is a lot less popular than Harley Quinn as a character and I don't think people really expected the Morbius movie to do well. The real eye opener is Ambulance. Sonic 2 managed to stomp a Michael Bay movie. Usually Bay can be counted on. That said, we're coming out of a global pandemic so a movie about bank robbers stealing an ambulance was...ill advised.

The Doctor Who

Citizen
Noteworthy is that DCU fans have a lot more to prove. Like, Sonic isn't touching Endgame box office receipts in a million years.

Marvel has been extremely successful and if Sonic 2 outdoes Morbius, there'll probably be some grousing (because there always is), but I can't see it being a big thing. DC fans desperately want to see their franchise succeed, so having Sonic the Hedgehog of all things outdo franchise darling Harley Quinn had to really hurt.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Shadow is basically Vegeta from DBZ or Bakugo from MHA, with him wanting to prove himself superior to the main character, yet is pretty much always surpassed by him
Modern Shadow (and Boom Shadow) may be like that, but Adventure Shadow was originally not as Vegeta-like, personality-wise, as he is now, as best detailed in this character history video:

Shadewing

Citizen
Modern Shadow (and Boom Shadow) may be like that, but Adventure Shadow was originally not as Vegeta-like, personality-wise, as he is now, as best detailed in this character history video:

Yes, I know; but I fully expect them to lean more into Modern Shadow then Adventure; just like Knux leans more into is modern/Boom self as he's still "dumb" (But not Boom level stupid) and a big bruiser (having a slightly bigger and bulkier build then typical Knux). So he's likely gonna be the angsty rival with something to prove, but likely having some vestigal elements of his Adventure persona. But even then, back to the topic at hand Adventure Shadow still is nothing like Knuckles beyond being the rival.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Yes, I know; but I fully expect them to lean more into Modern Shadow then Adventure; just like Knux leans more into is modern/Boom self as he's still "dumb" (But not Boom level stupid) and a big bruiser (having a slightly bigger and bulkier build then typical Knux). So he's likely gonna be the angsty rival with something to prove, but likely having some vestigal elements of his Adventure persona.
And this is exactly why I didn't want to see Shadow in these movies. Upon seeing that credits scene, I was not happy to see Shadow, knowing how delicate and intricate his backstory is and dreading the thought of the movies trying to adapt it for an interpretation of Shadow that's based more closely on the Modern Games' wannabe-Vegeta instead of the more layered and developed OG Shadow.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I've been watching this thread and avoiding the spoiler tags after the movie came out since I do plan to watch it. Morbius is a lot less popular than Harley Quinn as a character and I don't think people really expected the Morbius movie to do well. The real eye opener is Ambulance. Sonic 2 managed to stomp a Michael Bay movie. Usually Bay can be counted on. That said, we're coming out of a global pandemic so a movie about bank robbers stealing an ambulance was...ill advised.
Everything Bay does is, on some level.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yes, I know; but I fully expect them to lean more into Modern Shadow then Adventure; just like Knux leans more into is modern/Boom self as he's still "dumb" (But not Boom level stupid) and a big bruiser (having a slightly bigger and bulkier build then typical Knux). So he's likely gonna be the angsty rival with something to prove, but likely having some vestigal elements of his Adventure persona. But even then, back to the topic at hand Adventure Shadow still is nothing like Knuckles beyond being the rival.
I wouldn't say they "lean into it" so much as maybe give a gentle nod.

And this is exactly why I didn't want to see Shadow in these movies. Upon seeing that credits scene, I was not happy to see Shadow, knowing how delicate and intricate his backstory is and dreading the thought of the movies trying to adapt it for an interpretation of Shadow that's based more closely on the Modern Games' wannabe-Vegeta instead of the more layered and developed OG Shadow.
See, here's the thing... I'm not sure how beholden Paramount is to SEGA on this. After all, they were going to release that... thing... that even SEGA was like "Uh, guys?" about. And it sounds like the portrayal of Knux was more on the director.

And speaking of which, Fowler does have a credit in a SEGA game -- Shadow the Hedgehog, so there might be some favoritism there. Something tells me that if his vision is anything like many fans' (and his version of Knuckles seems to suggest it leans that way), he might give us something more like the Shadow we want, rather than the one Sonic Team or SEGA or whoever wants.

Cradok

Citizen
Sonic 2 managed to stomp a Michael Bay movie. Usually Bay can be counted on.

Michael Bay's not really the same sure bet he used to be. Age of Extinction was his last actual hit, and he's only done three movies between then and AmbuLAnce. 13 Hours was basically a flop, The Last Knight was an uncontested flop, and while Netflix metrics are murky, they cancelled a planned sequel to 6 Underground.

Top Bottom