Sonic The Hedgehog

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I followed the box office last time, so here I go again.

Domestic: $71,000,000
Worldwide: $141,000,000

In one weekend Sonic 2 has already surpassed Morbius' totals to date. It is currently the sixth highest earner of the year. Gotta go fast.

Well that didn't last long. The Dumbledore movie took the #1 spot this weekend. Sonic 2 is now #2.

However, it's not all bad news for Sonic 2. Domestically it is now the third highest earner of the year, and including worldwide numbers only bumps it down to number four. Interestingly, Dumbledore is being carried by worldwide numbers. Domestically its opening weekend kinda sucked.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Didn't find a dedicated Sonic thread, but....
With the movie doing well, and a new fancy 3D game still purportedly due later this year, Sega is striking while the iron is hot.

Sonic Origins is a collection of 1-3, Knuckles, and CD. Will feature a classic and remastered visual modes, extra animated content, and museum element. I believe this is the first time in over a decade Sonic 3 has been made available in a collection, though I'm less than thrilled with the lack of additional games. Hell, looking at the myriad of DLC being offered, it feels more than a little like a money grab. Especially at the ridiculous $40 (STARTING!) price point.

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!
Citizen
Huh interesting. That pipe organ boss is from the Sonic 2 android remake. They had a completed Hidden Palace Zone that could only be accessed in no-save mode.

Thing is: I'm pretty sure SEGA made them take it out, though I might be getting confused with the Dust Hill Zone. Extra interesting is that this suggests these are based on those remakes, which, in turn makes me wonder if the Sonic 3 here is related to the proposed Sonic 3 remake that the same studio wanted to do before Sonic Mania happened.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Just getting Sonic 3 officially again is worth the price tag. Sega has been about as hands-off as possible when it comes to ROM hacks but I like there to be an official option.

Shadewing

Citizen
Huh interesting. That pipe organ boss is from the Sonic 2 android remake. They had a completed Hidden Palace Zone that could only be accessed in no-save mode.

Thing is: I'm pretty sure SEGA made them take it out, though I might be getting confused with the Dust Hill Zone. Extra interesting is that this suggests these are based on those remakes, which, in turn makes me wonder if the Sonic 3 here is related to the proposed Sonic 3 remake that the same studio wanted to do before Sonic Mania happened.

Headcannon studios is the ones behind this collection, so yeah its a collection of their remasters, and the Sonic 3 one they've been working on, being sold togeather.

As for other games? Well, there is a screenshot out there that shows Robotnik's base from Spinball in the menu options.

OriginSpinball.jpeg

The Doctor Who

Citizen
Ahh, cool. I'd not had a chance to read up on it yet (just skimming at work), so that's actually really cool and makes the price tag feel a lot more reasonable. Especially if there's some extra games included.

Shadewing

Citizen
We don't know if its included or not yet, but it's certainly a weird choice to show up in this collection if it's not.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Doesn't look like much of a "remaster", judging from the trailer. I'm still waiting for a 2D Sonic game animated entirely in the style of the Mania intro cutscene.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
So Mighty and Ray will probably be playable in Origins, by using their builds from Sonic Mania?

Cool animation! Just putting a YouTube version here but it's the same as the hero of Hyrule, I mean, the link above.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
It looks more like an actual remaster than most "Remastered" games these days.
I mean, I guess in the sense that it doesn't literally look worse in any noticeable way I guess, but it's literally just the exact same graphics in the same resolution with widescreen support added.

Also, it's been pointed out that it's half the games that were included in those PS2-era compilations but for a higher price. You're paying exclusively for those cutscenes. Enjoy.

Shadewing

Citizen
Uh no, these are the mobile remasters done by Headcannon that are /highly/ regarded and have a lot of extra content, new modes, new levels, new bosses. They aren't the same games. And their S3K remaster has never been released.

The Doctor Who

Citizen
Yeah, it became a lot better proposition, when they turned out to be the Headcannon remakes. Like, those are ground up recreations of the original games with a lot of extra content. Assuming that this comes with all the previous stuff and S3&k has been given a similarly loving rebuild, it's a really good price.

Like, if these were just base-ass emulated ROMs, then, yeah, it'd be pretty shitty, but Headcannon has proven their quality over and over, so I have some optimism for this.

The Doctor Who

Citizen
I wouldn't credit Sega too much. They're still the same people who have repeatedly shot themselves in the foot with their own in-house developed Sonic games. Their embracing of fan developers is more a sign of desperation than love for their community.

Like, in that same thread, people are harassing Stealth over the DLC model, but that almost certainly comes directly from Sega executives.

Top Bottom