Sonic The Hedgehog

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
This show has actually made me like Shadow's stupid rollerskates.

Separately, I don't think there's going to be a Rouge focused Shatterspace. Considering what's in this episode, I think we've seen them all. The one curveball might be:

There might be some late show exploration of the depths of The Void. Was it just me, or did the way the depths were rendered resemble the pupil and iris of an eye?

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I do, because we should have moved on to Blu-Ray sets by now. Aside from people who still have DVD drives in their laptops, who specifically wants to buy TV shows in a format that only looks good on a tube TV?

People who don't see the difference between Blu ray and DVD, nor care after they upgraded from VHS tapes, also, people who don't want to pay through the nose for the Blu ray copies!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
When they put in the work to make Blu-Ray a proper upgrade, I'm happy to shell out for it. It's not an automatic thing though. I've seen plenty of Blu-Rays that are just an older DVD source lazily upscaled, with noticeable resulting blemishes.

Some things simply can't be properly upgraded or aren't "important" enough for anyone to invest in doing it, so it'll be a DVD set or a lazy upscale or nothing.

MrBlud

Citizen
Yeah, in this case, makes more sense to shell out $20 for the DVDs and then just download the fan upscale.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
When they put in the work to make Blu-Ray a proper upgrade, I'm happy to shell out for it. It's not an automatic thing though. I've seen plenty of Blu-Rays that are just an older DVD source lazily upscaled, with noticeable resulting blemishes.

Some things simply can't be properly upgraded or aren't "important" enough for anyone to invest in doing it, so it'll be a DVD set or a lazy upscale or nothing.
Yeah, I saw a tweet about this. Someone reached out and they basically said that the copies they're sourcing are SD stuff, so all putting it on Blu-ray would do is up the price.

And, reading this, I guess potentially make it look worse.

Shadewing

Citizen
Netflix has uploaded the first episode of Sonic Prime season 2 to YouTube:

Seems that I was right about Shadow in this series. He's largely annoyed by the fact that Sonic never slows down and never listens, and he sorta rightly blames Sonic for the destruction of everything... but I feel like no matter what there wasn't gonna be a good solution to the Prism issue. But its still a much better take then Shadow usually gets where he's just dark and edge and angry becuase that's what SA2 did and that's when he was popular. Here, he's pretty much the anthesis of Sonic, and I think realistically Sonic would annoy most anyone and so far the majority of their fights have been just Shadow trying to get Sonic to stop and listen to him. Except for the big one in this episode, where its sorta a clash of their ideals. With Shadow only caring about wanting to get the job done at any costs, and Sonic not wanting to do so if it endangers the residents of the Shatterverses.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Watched the ep and it was pretty good, so far, I like Sonic Prime more than Boom, Boom was quickly getting boring and dull, there was just no stakes and it was largely forgettable, the fact that Eggman was kind of chummy with Sonic didn't help things, I rather Eggman be a genuine threat, than just a nusance, he capable of building massive ships and whole armies of robots, yet, he is just nothing in Boom and seems to attack a single village all of the time, so Sonic prime has been shaping up to be the best series since Satam!

Shadewing

Citizen
I'm fine with Boom being more of an action Sitcom then anything. It's sorta like a modern version of Adventures, where its more focused on comedy stories with some action then telling some grand epic. Sonic has always been more then just that, and I'm open to simpler slice of life stuff with him and his cast once in awhile.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
My problem with Shadow in Prime is that, in several of his fights with Sonic, he's trying to get Sonic to listen to him and has several moments where he beats Sonic enough to get him to stop and listen, but in each of those moments, Shadow just keeps trying to beat him down instead of using those opportunities to finally explain himself. Thus, instead of Sonic getting to hear Shadow out when he's down, Sonic is forced to dodge Shadow's next hit and either keep trying to escape from him or retaliate with his own attack, making Shadow look like he cares more about beating Sonic into a pulp instead of telling him the important information that he has to tell him.

It comes across like the writers are still stuck trying to make Shadow emulate early-DBZ Vegeta, when he was never like that in SA2, Heroes, or '06 (his personality in his own game was dependent on the player's route, so it can't be counted for any consistency).

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Shadow clearly has a chip on his shoulder when it comes to personalty and its not like they know what to do with him, I think the intent for his character was to actually die in Adventure 02 finally, but because he became so popular, he was revived yet there was no plan for his character, its just "Oh, he was popular, lets revive him for the next game!" Someone asks "What about his character arc?" "We'll just wing it, going forwards!"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think the intent for his character was to actually die in Adventure 02 finally, but because he became so popular, he was revived yet there was no plan for his character, its just "Oh, he was popular, lets revive him for the next game!" Someone asks "What about his character arc?" "We'll just wing it, going forwards!"

He was absolutely supposed to die, and his story would have been better for it.

I want to live in the universe where Chaos became the popular one. The writers wouldn't have known what to do with him either, but I bet it would have been weird.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
I want to live in the universe where Chaos became the popular one. The writers wouldn't have known what to do with him either, but I bet it would have been weird.

Well, Chaos would mean more Tikal. But the more pressing issue is that through Tikal, Chaos would connect to Knuckles and Angel Island. It makes you wonder if Knuckles specifically would have been treated so poorly after Sonic Heroes if Shadow didn't return. Despite some interesting things about GUN, Shadow is his own self contained bubble. Knuckles connects to series history as the descendent of one of those countless lost civilizations.

Bringing things back to Chaos specifically, just think of a purified Perfect Chaos versus Dark Gaia.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
If Chaos had been more popular, no doult he would of likely ended up joining Knuckles and that girl from the distant past as Guardians of Angel Island & the Master Emerald, of course, there would likely be a bunch more Chao hanging around

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
That's sounds like the perfect internet argument to use if someone claims Adventure 2 is better.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't take a side on which one is better. Adventure 2 is obviously more polished and I sank way more hours into it but Adventure 1 has a weird charm that gets to me every time I do play it.

I want Adventure 1 with better scripts and I want Adventure 2 with Adventure Fields.

Top Bottom