Sonic The Hedgehog

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
She lacks dedicated abilities but makes up for it in being highly adaptable and apparently very sneaky. If they ever need to find the hidden entrance to someplace they should just ask her because she's probably already seen it somehow.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Apparently, a lot of news about Superstars has dropped over the weekend:

The Knuckles show has finished filming with a tentative "Fall" as the airing date:

What's interesting about all this news is what we aren't hearing. Things have been on a full radio silence for Frontiers update 2. Though June 23 is next week, they may be giving Origins Plus and Superstars time to shine. Or Sega is being sensible for a change and giving Sonic Team more time to work on it.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I want to believe. At some point SEGA has to learn their lesson and let Sonic Team take the time they need.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Okay, I want to preface this by saying that Sonic Superstars actually looks like a LOT of fun. And I hope it turns out great! I like the art style they've chosen, and the trailer has a LOT of personality.

But...apparently Arzest are leading the development of the game...

So...hmm...yeah.

Now, not EVERYTHING they've made is as broken as Balan Wonderworld turned out to be. They also made Yoshi's New Island...and Hey Pikmin for the 3DS.

Yeah, I'm not sure if they've actually made a "good" game, yet. (Maybe if you count the remake of Bowser's Inside Story?) So...maybe it's a good idea to wait on reviews. It could turn out great! Every game is a chance for a developer to turn itself around. But, we'll see.

Also, we could've gotten the Mania team working on it, instead.

Last edited:

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen

A lot was in this ranging from having Amy's super transformation directly in the Origins Plus trailer to Frontiers update 2 coming out of hiding to the Prime season 2 trailer.

EDIT: The split out trailers are very slightly different so they be worth linking individually. Or at least checking the YouTube channel.

Last edited:

spikeriley

Citizen
Wait, did the trailer just drop a bombshell at the end and show us a New Yolk City version of Metal Sonic?

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
The thing that caught my attention was the exchange between Sonic and Shadow about "They're not your real friends" "Nine and all the rest of them are real!". It just might be the main argument point of Season 2 and would be a good way to put the two at odds using the show's version of the two characters. Pragmatism vs. emotion.

Also, is Rusty Rose fighting against the Council? Huh, she might not die after all. I'm also thinking there just might not be a world with Rouge as the focus.

The character bios went up on the Sonic Superstars website. Sonic, Tails, and Dr. Eggman are what you expect (though they do overtly use the line "The fastest thing alive" for Sonic). But the others have interesting tidbits:

Knuckles the Echidna is said to be the last of his kind and is bound by duty to protect the Master Emerald on Angel Island. He is known for his immense strength and can use his spiked fists to smash enemies, climb walls, and even destroy solid rock. Gliding is another of his abilities, allowing him to quickly traverse the varied environments of his island and the world beyond.

*eyebrow arch* "is said to be" the last of his kind? That's a subtle but major shift in wording to Knuckles being the last echidna. Unless it's leaving space against arguments due to Tikal's spirit. Or SEGA is leaving its options open.

Still learning to use her own surprising strength, Amy is a pink hedgehog who wields the huge “Piko Piko Hammer.” She has a strong sense of justice and will always follow her heart to protect the weak, even though that often means putting herself in danger.

Amy's strength is overtly mentioned but what might be the bigger point is that her crush on Sonic isn't mentioned. Looks like SEGA is extending the push to make her personality the first thing in bios instead of her crush. Though it's odd it never states 'Amy Rose' in full, especially since Miles 'Tails' Prower is mentioned in Tails' bio.

Fang is a springy jerboa that is light on his feet and is always looking for the next big score. A bounty hunter by trade, Fang the Hunter has been known by many different names over the years, likely due to his “WANTED” status with the authorities. Always trying to stay one step ahead, he’s constantly modifying and upgrading his primary mode of transportation, the Marvelous Queen.

The jerboa formally known as Nack the Weasel is now "Fang the Hunter". Stating that his prior names were aliases is a clever way to deal with it without messing with nostalgia or tripping over people claiming censorship for removing Sniper from his name.

Not much is known yet about Trip, the mysterious girl first encountered by Fang on the Northstar Islands. While a bit clumsy, Trip is heavily armored and has been enlisted by Fang and Dr. Eggman to protect and guide them around the wonders of this uncharted region.

Many people were assuming Trip was a robot. With the reveal that Trip is a girl in armor and seeing what her tail looks like in her render, many are wondering if this is possibly "Classic Sticks". Would be an interesting way to reveal her mainline existence since she's in a weird spot right now. That said, people have also wondered if Trip is horned lizard considering the tail design. Regardless of the exact animal, being a girl means there's someone other than Amy in the Classic games.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Most people, probably even including me, will make a big deal about Frontiers update 3 when it drops. But I think Birthday Bash/Update 2 is doing a lot under the hood. The UI changes that reveal completion of things like number of bosses or fishing both look nice and allow completion outside of the "required% 100%. The new platforms and challenges added to them quietly reveal things like the order of draw distance. Speaking of challenges, I'm laughing at the fact that I predicted the new Koco would be in Rhea while that's the only island that doesn't have any. The birthday decorations plus the Jukebox can shift the mood of the game away from the melancholy default. And they made the towers easier on Easy difficulty which it's interesting that they can even do that. I think there's a lot going on that'll get overlooked due to the addition of the spindash.

Has anyone else seen things of interest in Update 2?

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen

With this, the OVA is the only major show still needing a rerelease, right?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I still have the old set but I might buy this one just to be supportive. I don't want complete series DVD sets to ever stop being a thing.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I do, because we should have moved on to Blu-Ray sets by now. Aside from people who still have DVD drives in their laptops, who specifically wants to buy TV shows in a format that only looks good on a tube TV?

Top Bottom