Random Thoughts From Out of Nowhere

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
For those of you with Netflix, check out Chris Rock Selective Outrage. The while things good, but I particularly liked the last few minutes of it.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
TV shows in the past: (generally were allowed to grow and gain an audience over time)

TV shows nowadays: (MUST BE POPULAR AND THE BIGGEST THING ON DAY ONE OR ELSE THEY WILL BE CANCELLED)

Like I'm pretty sure there's tons of great series from decades past that wouldn't have made it past one season on Netflix.

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
probably took a lot longer to compile statistics and poll watchers back then, making it possible to convince pencilpushers and bean counters. Nowadays, especially on streaming platforms, it’s probably instantaneous.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Production budgets have gotten too bloated. It's harder to make a profit and way more catastrophic if they don't.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I just dislike the whole 'drop the entire season at once' thing Netflix and most other streaming services do. I much prefer weekly releases for TV shows.

unluckiness

Citizen
I plain don’t have any desire to pay for their content. Good stuff used to be sparse but now it’s downright nonexistent, especially after everyone and their mom decided to start their own platform

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Honestly there's so much good stuff on entirely free streaming platforms like Pluto TV and Tubi that I really don't see any reason to sub to any paid ones. Only paid one I have a subscription to is Peacock but even then the subscription is free and included with my cable and internet plan (I have Comcast and Peacock is owned by Comcast).

I mean I have thought about subbing to RetroCrush but that's mostly because I wanna support that service. Most of the series, movies, and OVAs on the platform can be watched for free, but like they do have some premium-only stuff and like 'streaming service focused on classic anime*', that's cool and what I'm into, I might toss a sub to them to support that to help keep 'em going, y'know?

*Also The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, that most famous and classic 90s anime.

unluckiness

Citizen
Only thing I considered subscribing for was Tiger and Bunny and Jojo part 6. Ended up not subscribing anyway since I kinda lost interest in T&B and Jojo part 6 is part 6.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Only thing I considered subscribing for was Tiger and Bunny and Jojo part 6. Ended up not subscribing anyway since I kinda lost interest in T&B and Jojo part 6 is part 6.
Parasyte: the Maxim was good when they had it, but it's been rotated out.

I have been watching Old Enough!/My First Errand. It's not a reality show concept that would work in North America....

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
My sister in law shares her Netflix login, so we get that for free. I pay for extra channels on Sling, and basic fees on Crunchyroll.

Old Enough! Is an adorable show, but yeah, that would never fly in the US.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I used to like Crunchyroll but I've been boycotting them since they went premium-only while still refusing to pay their translators and voice actors what they're worth.

I just pirate whatever isn't on RetroCrush or other free platforms. I literally do not care.

There's also them going 'From now on, all future content will be premium-only but don't worry, all stuff that was free will remain free' and then NOPE everything is now locked behind a premium sub.

So they can go **** themselves for lying.

unluckiness

Citizen
They don’t deserve it. I was already iffy on their translations since I know some Japanese and lots of little things didn’t match up (but why the hug are you changing proper nouns?). Learning that they funneled money into that shitty bread.PNG witch show clinched it.

Last edited:

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Japanese is very difficult to translate. Then there's "translate as close to the original as possible" vs "translate so viewers who aren't familiar w/ the language/culture can understand." Part of why I prefer orig language with subs, so I can catch the differences.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
There's also things like translating wordplay across, since they love their puns. Those often don't always translate cleanly, for obvious reasons.

Top Bottom