Nobody has the intention to invade Ukraine

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Putin can't NOT punish either the wagner troops, or pirogy himself because there was a direct threat to putin's power. If he doesn't quash it THOROUGHLY, then there will be more revolts.

Putin also can't outright kill pirogy (which what I call the dude cause I can't pronounce his name properly.) because it'll cause another revolt in the wagner troops and putin NEEDS them to ensure his loss in ukraine is as slow as possible. If anything even looks like there's potential to be anything other than a natural death; putin will be responsible even if it was a complete and total accident.

This is also going to affect future voluntary recruitment from russian civilians because now there is no incentive to even try the regular military: there is no where better to go with skill and dedication. It's just corrupt military and "buy your ******* bullets" all the way up to the desk job now.

While it's not the outcome the world wanted (and was hoping for.)... this still isn't bad. It's going to compromise the ukraine war effort and russia morale. This is just another step towards putin being ousted.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
There was a audio message from pirogy that stated he was in a belarus hotel with no windows... So, a prison.

NovaSaber

Citizen
I hope this is mistaken:
x4q9g8v.png

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Reminder that while a purpose-built nuclear bomb has more destructive power, a meltdown is far more damaging in the long term because there's so much more fissile material. They were already rebuilding Hiroshima and Nagasaki by the '50s; there's a whole zone around Chernobyl that will remain unsuitable for human habitation for decades to come, if not centuries, unless we can eventually figure out a way to dismantle the elephant's foot and haul it into a nuclear waste dump.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
If we get to the point in technology (not time.) where we can dismantle the elephants foot: there won't be any more nuclear waste dumps. They'll have the means to neutralize the radiation and then it's literally just "who can we pay to lift this shit out of a dirty basement".

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
Ukraine's Intelligence Chief says the threat to the plant is subsiding, but won't say why:
Hopefully true!

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Reminder that while a purpose-built nuclear bomb has more destructive power, a meltdown is far more damaging in the long term because there's so much more fissile material. They were already rebuilding Hiroshima and Nagasaki by the '50s; there's a whole zone around Chernobyl that will remain unsuitable for human habitation for decades to come, if not centuries, unless we can eventually figure out a way to dismantle the elephant's foot and haul it into a nuclear waste dump.
The reactor at Chernobyl that melted down was intended to produce weapons-grade material for making more bombs. Any power generation from it was a convenient side effect.

Power-generation ONLY reactors are much safer, in general. I'm not sure what kind of reactors are at Zaporizhzhia, though.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
After a quick google search:

Soviet built water/water energy reactors (VVER) that were actually completed and commissioned in 1996. Not the same kind as chernobyl.

Teufel

Citizen

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Not really? I was expecting him to kinda just... disappear more than anything. Putin couldn't kill him without pissing off the rest of the wagner group troops, and hurting russian morale in general.

If you wanted to make all the right moves to lose a war, putin is kinda having it.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Putin is slipping.... Was expecting Prigozhin to fall out a window or get sick and die after drinking some tea, not get blown out of the sky by an "erroneously targeted" surface to air missile.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Putin is slipping.... Was expecting Prigozhin to fall out a window or get sick and die after drinking some tea, not get blown out of the sky by an "erroneously targeted" surface to air missile.
Considering Putin acts like a stereotypical Bond villain, I was expecting "death by blimp".

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Yeah, I said that when the wagner revolt went down. Unless he literally died in bed, surrounded by loved ones of old age: it was always going to be putin's fault. But let's be real here: putin had to do it. Dictators survive on the threat, and need to follow through otherwise they appear weak and get targeted. Pirrogy openly revolted against putin, no matter what the time line was: he was dead. But folks generally have short memories and attention spans, and wagner has already been functionally removed from the ukraine front line, so unless there's a good chance of another revolt (and there isn't. No one charismatic enough has stepped up.) the peons will get over it eventually.

Plutoniumboss

Citizen
The Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings were also detonations at altitude. Distance makes a big difference.

Stepwise

Not Crew.
Citizen
Crap. Totally off-topic....but how do I un-like a post that I bumped by accident on my phone? Not disliking the post, just didn't mean to respond to it.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Crap. Totally off-topic....but how do I un-like a post that I bumped by accident on my phone? Not disliking the post, just didn't mean to respond to it.
At this site, just tap again on the like button to deactivate your like.

If you've replied by accident, tap on "edit" or "more" under your post and select "delete".

Top Bottom