He-Man, and also the Masters of the Universe

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
BBTS is also running a weekend sale on MOTU items, notably the first waves of Masterverse basic and deluxe figures. For Origins fans, the Buzz Off/Sorceress/Jitsu/Mini-comic Stratos wave is just $35.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
Yeah, seeing production Snake Mountain, that D&D Beholder figure would be perfect in its basement. And I wonder of the Displacer Beast would work with that tunnel somehow.

And the fact that new Snake Mountain is nearly five Inches taller than my Encore Fortress Maximus and cost less than a Commander Class Transformer now just throws me, though I know the mechanical complexity and parts count aren't remotely comparable. Still, I had the original Snake Mountain. This one's better.

Last edited:

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I've been saying this for a while, Hasbro is just overpriced. Mattel has been kicking their ass in affordability.

Motu origins were $15 and I think they might be 18 or 19 now, meanwhile deluxes are almost 30 dollars and if you want to compare apples to apples GI Joe 6 inch figures are 25-26 bucks depending on when and where you get them

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
I've been saying this for a while, Hasbro is just overpriced. Mattel has been kicking their ass in affordability.

Motu origins were $15 and I think they might be 18 or 19 now, meanwhile deluxes are almost 30 dollars and if you want to compare apples to apples GI Joe 6 inch figures are 25-26 bucks depending on when and where you get them
I don’t disagree on the general sentiment, though I think Hasbro IS getting better. Beast Alliance and their Epic Scale (4”) Marvel figures have been hitting a REALLY nice spot in terms of value for the product.
Though, being the Devil’s Advocate that I am, Masterverse figures MSRP is $24.99, which is on par with standard 6” figures and Transformers Deluxe offerings.

All things considered, I actually think Origins basic figure price is a little high. At nearly $20 (Or $18 IF you manage to find at retail or Amazon), the value difference between them and Masterverse isn’t as compelling. Which is strange because their deluxe and vehicle offerings are very STRONGLY priced. I’m of the opinion that Mattel kicked up the Origins figure price to spread them away from the Netflix/Kids stuff. Even with that line dead, Origins still seems to be selling well at its current price point, so what do I know? Or maybe the basic figures are priced higher to offset the value pricing of the larger items?

Snake Mountain looks wonderful, but if I didn’t get Grayskull, I’m certainly not going to get Snake Mountain. Despite no figure, I still applaud a mere $5 increase over Grayskull. But, it’s like, I HAVE to draw the line somewhere with all the other junk I spend my money on.
I say as I just started buying into MOTU Origins as yet ANOTHER toy line I shouldn’t be buying into…

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
The Price is why I felt ok getting into Origins. It was just too easy to say yes vs other things.

My problem is honestly now space. I still have my Original Grayskull and Snake Mt from the 80s. And I have the Bat-cave Grayskull alike from the DC-MotU style figures that I got on clearance. And I got the new Grayskull because it was cheap enough. And I have nowhere to put ANY of them because all available display space is taken up by Transformers (which is probably only 20 to 30 % of my TF Collection in plastic bins).

I want Snake Mt because I have the Grayskull and because it looks MUCH better than the original playability wise but I don't know what I'd do with it if I get it.

-ZacWilliam, even the Origins vehicles have been so well priced I have pretty much all of them that have been easily available. (Never saw Roton sadly.)

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't even have that many Origins, but I got a box of figures from the States earlier this week, and I'm just looking at it and thinking "What have I done?" because the pricing was too good to ignore.

Even though they were all ones I really wanted to begin with.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I saw on an unboxing vid that showed the Bashasaurus in the art on the back. Given the precedent of box art being a preview of things to come, I absolutely want this.

Strider and Bashasaurus were the only two vehicles I had as a kid and I've been wanting one since Origins started. So...yeah, I'm a bit excited.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
I got several clearence-priced ones from BBTS to pad out an order (normal colored Sorceress, Buzz-off, Jitzu, bald Stratos) and they will work fine, but I really DON'T like bald-Stratos. I wasn't fond of his design normally and this just doesn't work for me. On the other hand, it may be my go-to for parts, or I could use it as a Snake Mountain victim since he looks like he's been robbed.

Does anyone know what sort of paint may work on this kind of plastic? I haven't had the best luck with the softer stuff.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
I never expected this, but I think I am more likely to get the Snake Mountain I mentioned above than the Ark. Partially because my nephew is getting most of the Transformers now, and I don't want to double up (we live next door to each other, so no point) but mostly because prices and value being what they are, I can do more with the setpiece for my stupid comic ideas than I can with the Nemesis. I never thought I'd see the day when I'd be buying a scary-looking playset over a robot.

On that note, though, while the new Snake Mountain comes with a Skeletor throne, it does NOT have the table. I wonder what the chance is of some expansion set for it.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Strider and Bashasaurus were the only two vehicles I had as a kid and I've been wanting one since Origins started. So...yeah, I'm a bit excited.
I think I said this before, but the only MOTU vehicles I have any distinct memories of were the Turbodactyl (gotten in 88 or so), Slime Pit (played with once, basically ruined all my classic MOTU figures, or enough they got thrown out), and the Land Shark. I remember my mom had taken me with her to an old store farm store called “Big Bear Farm and Fleet”. Because it was a farm store that only bothered with toys during the holidays, old stuff would linger year to year. Around 1990, this store apparently still had a lingering Land Shark from years gone by.
My New Adventures Skeletor dug the retro ride :p

I’ve got plans to snag a Landshark, and I got an Origins Battlecat (for $9 when Walmart cleared them out, it is what prompted me to even keep an eye one the Origins line at all). About the only thing I’m interested in would be a new Slime Pit. It won’t have slime, but I can see them doing “slime armor” pieces and a Slime Zombie He-Man in a $50-ish package.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Some juicy rumors for next year. The Origins line is going to wrap this year with Snake Armor Man At Arms, Squeeze, Spikor, and the Eternia Infiltrator (which, frankly feels more like a refresh for the Palace Guard).

Rumors are that the first two waves for 2024 will be Filmation focused. I’m a bit surprised Mattel is dipping into that well, but it also ”feels” like the line is starting to hit that rut where they’ve starting to hit characters that are a bit too obscure. I’ll be keeping an eye on the summer con season, but I was hoping for a couple more Snakemen waves. It’s also curious to see that the waves (as reported) are shrinking from 4 to 3 figures. Anyway…
Wave 1 2024
Filmation He-Man (likely rework From the 40th Anniversary pack)
Filmation Beast Man
Reship Classic Merman

Wave 2 2024
Filmation Skeletor
Filmation Man At Arms
She-Ra (reship)

Also reported was the newest Mashup line. Masters of the WWE was pretty fun (even if you had to deal with it being a Walmart exclusive, I didn’t see most of the line since my store didn’t carry it until the last couple waves), and the new crossover will be Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Wave 1
Donatello
Leonardo
He-Man (Mutated)
Man At Arms (Mutated)

Wave 2
Raphael
Michelangelo
Skeletor (Mutated)
And an unnamed fourth figure. I’m leaning to Shredder, which could be quite compelling in the MOTU Origins styling.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I'll be bummed if Origins ends before doing all of the original line. They're very close.

-ZacWilliam, one good Wave of Extendar, Rio-Blast, Rokkon and Stonedar would satisfy me.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Count me in for wanting Rio-Blast.

TMNT feels like it's going to be weird, no matter what, since the original TMNT figures were basically formed out of the MotU mold, but with with added forearm articulation.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
Hordak at last takes the Throne of Grayskull:

52913184313_ee27a3c9d4_o.jpg

And in other news, I really, REALLY hate the way the discount-bin Stratos looks, so I did this just based on the colors of what little he was already wearing. And, unintentionally, I think I may have hit on what a 'pre-great-war' Eterna pilot would have looked like, in days when Talon Fighters were just as common as fighter jets and the point of the suit was, if you have to bail out of a flying object, it makes sense to have the user able to fly.

Yeah, a weird bit of personal canon got created entirely by trying to fix a figure I didn't like...if I made those shoulder plumes green, this picture probably would violate some board rules.

52913114705_24b5a5d553_o.jpg

Platypus Prime

Citizen
I didn't make it, I found it at Ollie's, its a Ghostbusters Fearsome Flush, they also had a flying fists He-man for $5, and the Big Lots next door had a Terror Claws Skeletor marked at $15 but rang up at ten.

That was an unusually good shopping day!

Platypus Prime

Citizen
I may just be inattentive, but just today I realized I could mount the Roton on the Wind Raider's flying base.

52926367718_0ccc318747_c.jpg

Edit: On the subject of flying things, Point Dread and the Talon Fighter shipped today! They claim I will have it Friday. We'll see. I actually skipped the Wind Raider because I prefer the Talon Fighter, till I saw it came with a flying base and thought "It might work..." Now I'm glad I got it since the base works with the Roton above and the Talon Fighter both. Odd that they didn't include that one with any other vehicle, the Sky Sled one is different, and so is Stridor's. If you're wanting extra options, you may want to hit Ollie's.

Last edited:

Top Bottom