Gotta Catch 'Em All! - Pokémon Thread

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
So you know how sometimes you'll only have that one side quest that you just can't seem to finish? Saguaro wants you to get Sweet Herba Mystica. But where do you get it? Who do you have to kill make faint before you get some.

Worry not! I Googled it so you don't have to. It's a rare drop in the hardest Tera-Rades and can only be obtained (again, rarely) from certain pokemon. Thanks for a vaguing that up for us, Game Freak!

A5515E51-8604-4376-A5D7-A0B33948F142.jpeg

Good luck. I'll let you know if I have any luck. I'm anticipating a big freaking headache.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
I got one without much trouble. Just keep running raids, eventually RNG will roll around in your favor.

Caldwin

Citizen
Hey, would anyone like to do a union circle group? I have a Finizen I want to evolve and should be on for a good chunk of the night.

EDIT:
Well, I'm still willing to do a Union Circle Group if anyone wants to. But I just got a Palafin from a Tera Raid. So I don't really need to. But like I said, if anyone else needs/wants to, I"m still game and will be on for most of the night, mostly doing Tera Raids.

Last edited:

Caldwin

Citizen
YES! I finally got the sweet herba mystica. I can now put this aside and focus on Crisis Core! Boy oh boy was that exhausting! I'm calling it a night.

The Mighty Mollusk

Citizen
Next special Tera Raids have been anounced. 5-star Delibird for Christmas weekend, then 7-star Cinderace for New Years.

Caldwin

Citizen
I don't really care about Delibird. If I happen to get it, fine. But I'll definitely want to go for that Cinderace.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
2nd go at the gyms, and the first tourny were pretty easy, since I was overleveled. Doing the tourny a 2nd time was tougher with the randomized teachers whose teams I didn't know. And now I get to visit my friends' rooms!
I've got 2 of the 4 post-game legendaries in the bag. This game is doing a better job of keeping me interested post-game. I'm even considering trying to complete the Pokedex. Seeing the critters on the field helps out a ton.

Echowarrior

Citizen
So far, I have somewhere around seventy Pokémon registered in the PokéDex, I've defeated the first Titan, and I'm just about to start on the second Gym. Not bad.

Caldwin

Citizen
I'll use the code and all, but I have to admit, I have a crap ton of shards from raids that I don't use. I mean, I know how to use them, I've just never had much of a need.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I'm mixed about Teraastilzation. It's a way to prevent typical typing matchups that could prove problematic to a pokemon in a pinch, but often the pokemon have no real way of using the type movewise in a great way. It seems even when going up against higher level raids, the pokemon you fight doesn't often have a move to utilize their new type to it's advantage, and continues to have move pools that it would normally have most of the time.

Caldwin

Citizen
I'll be honest, I get the feeling mega evolution isn't thought too highly of around here. But between mega evolution (completely new forms, some better than others), totem pokemon (oversized boss only mon with glimmers), dynamax pokemon (oversized pokemon with very few new forms that were okay at best) and terastallization (crystal effects with a hat)...I much prefer mega evolution. Some of those forms, particularly Beedrill, Mawile and the Charizards; I'd still love to see again.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
You forgot about Z-Moves...which is fair enough. Z-Moves are the gimmick I probably used the least in any of these games. Taking up a item slot is what killed it.

But, yeah, someone at Gamefreak really doesn't like Mega Evolution. Some of the Pokedex entries in ORAS and S/M really wanted to play it up like Mega Evolution was steroids, ruining Pokemon's lives. I liked some of those designs. And it was clearly the most useful, since it lasted the whole battle.

It probably comes down to a few things:

1. Nintendo wants each game to have a "gimmick". Or rather...I think Nintendo likes each one of their games to be instantly distinct from one another. I think Nintendo in general just likes for people to be able to tell a game apart just by a screenshot or two alone. Thus...why so many of their games feel like they add gimmicks to them.

2. Gamefreak wants to cut back on how many models they use. They've been cutting back on the number of Pokemon they include. So, it just makes sense to "simplify" any new super-forms into a filter over the models they're already using. (Now...whether or not Terasterilized pokemon all just use the same "filter" or if Gamefreak programmed completely seperate models for EVERY SINGLE TERA-POKEMON...I have no idea. Gamefreak is notoriously bad at optimization. It could be either)

3. Trying to maintain balance in the competitive scene. Mega Evolutions were notoriously overpowered. It makes sense to chuck them if they wanted better balance. But...really they COULD have just nerfed them for competitions, like not allowing Legendaries. They were fun in the story. But...that's probably more work than Gamefreak's willing to do.

As for Terastallization....I wish it had a different name, it's a mouthful. And the hats are too much. Gameplay-wise, it's...potentially interesting? But, I haven't really played around with it enough to see all the tricks, yet. Honestly, I don't see a lot of advantage to using a Tera-switched type Pokemon over...just using a different Pokemon with a movepool that matches the type. But, it's probably just to spice up the competitive scene a little, so *shrug*. Tera-type changes aren't really that useful in the main game, from what I've seen.

I could see little crystal figurines being a hit, though. Toys of these Tera-Pokemon could be really pretty, looking like crystals. I could see some people getting hooked on collecting little crystal figurines of their favorite Pokemon with exclusive/rare hats.

Last edited:

The Mighty Mollusk

Citizen
While the implementation of Mega Evolution was kinda poorly done in XY (seriously, why were so many of the stones gated in the post-game when they're the game's main new gimmick?), it was still my favorite of the new gimmicks. Z Moves never really felt all that impactful, Dynamax/Gigantamax is flashy but too time-limited to really feel important, and Terastallization just feels tacked on and kinda pointless.

Top Bottom