Gotta Catch 'Em All! - Pokémon Thread

Echowarrior

Citizen
Well, I've finally started on my copy of Scarlet! Got as far as the first Pokémon Center. Now to get all these Mystery Gifts before they expire.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Hmm, I just put the codes in and realized my results were different between Violet and Scarlet. So...randomized it would seem.

Caldwin

Citizen
Well, I have all the legendaries in Scarlet and I didn't even have to use my Masterball. I dunno, maybe there's a fletchling I can get near the starting area.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Seeing a rumor going around about something Kalos related. But we'll see. Probably won't be until spring, at the earliest.

Personally I'd rather they keep patching the base game to fix some of these performance issues, but if DLC pays for developer time to work on it, hey.

Caldwin

Citizen
wait for DLC. I expect more legendaries.
Violet has a lead for me in how many Pokemon I have in the Pokedex. So I'll probably just keep with that now that both games are in the post-game. Still, it's nice to know I was able to get all the legendaries without the Masterball. I didn't even need to do a save reload.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Honestly, I've hoping for new protags for awhile. There's probably still gonna be guest appearances and such, but we're long overdue for changes to the anime series. Sun and Moon was a nice change but it'll be good to start fresh.

Caldwin

Citizen
I never really watched much past Indigo aside from the movies. Still, it feels weird that they would retire the character like that. At this point it feels like he's as big a part of the franchise as Pikachu.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Saw eps here and there of the older series, think we started really watching it since Diamond/Pearl? I highly recommend Sun/Moon. It's when they shook up the style for a cuter look and looser animation. This series did a nice job of having fun chars while tying in the main notes of the games, while still doing its own thing. There was a real sense of family and bonding with Ash and his friends, as well as Team Rocket's team.

Still, I'm tired of everything happening to this one kid, and the repetitiveness of filler eps. It's time for other kids and stories.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I...honestly never thought they'd pull this trigger. Ash has been around for so long, I just assumed he'd always be part of the show, somehow or another. I was halfway expecting them to make him a Professor in the Trainer School for the Scarlet/Violet saga, after winning the league again in Ultimate Journeys.

I really SHOULDN'T be shocked. This entire Journeys saga has kind of felt like a long goodbye to Ash. Collecting all the Pokemon. Winning the League. He's done everything he set out to accomplish. The writing's been on the wall for a while now. But still...I'm a little shocked. And, I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me, but I don't know if changing the protagonist will really be worth it or not.

I mean, no matter who the protagonist is, we're still going to be doing the same things we've been doing for the past 26 years. We're still going to see them collect gym badges, and explore the world in filler episodes. I'm not sure if the overall quality of the show will really change no matter who the lead character is. They're just getting rid of a long-running character just for the shake of change....when that "change" will probably be 80% the same, either way. Unless they DRASTICALLY change the plot, it's still going to feel repetitive.

On the other hand, I DO think some of the specials they've done have been higher quality than the main show for a while now. The Hisuian Snow, Poketoons, and anniversary shorts they put up on Youtube were all more unique than the main anime has been in a while. If they can bring some of that energy into the main show, I'd be a improvement. Maybe that's the plan.

And it's not like Ash is some great character, he's really rather "generic shonen protagonist". He's just been such a...CONSISTENT presence, it's hard to believe he's really not going to be the star of the show anymore. It's going to be a weird change to get used to. It's kind of bittersweet.

Last edited:

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I never really watched much past Indigo aside from the movies. Still, it feels weird that they would retire the character like that. At this point it feels like he's as big a part of the franchise as Pikachu.
What's even weirder. Although they haven't said, I'm assuming they'll be retiring Pikachu (at least, Ash's Pikachu, the one we've seen in every episode), as well.

Top Bottom