G1 Transformers Size, Power, and Mass

Destron D-69

FF10F0
Citizen
at the end of Masterforce the transtector that was Genrai's truck becomes alive with a copy of his 'life force' or whatever.. all of them do so in the end they are fully living robots. if i'm not mistaken... and then Ginrai becomes victory leo right?... haven't watched those dvds in a while

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
It looks as though someone beat me to mentioning the bit about Hi-Q saying "I am Optimus Prime!" for the last few issues of Marvel-G1.

I would also like to note that near the end of IDW-G1, Scorponok extracted the spark of the Decepticon Rat-a-tat-tat and placed it into a synthoid baby in the hope of breeding ensparked humans that could eventually repopulate Cybertron.

So one could, if one so chose, finesse a retcon/redub to make that wonderfully silly line from Omni's version of Masterforce make some sort of sense. There is precedent in the lore....

Whether that's a good idea is another matter altogether.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
They actually have not been the same toy even once. They're close enough that one toy should easily suffice for both of them, but somehow it has never happened. Their toys are always at least slightly different.

The same toy that was released in Japan as God Ginrai was released in the US as Generation One Powermaster Optimus Prime:

I believe Takara reissued this.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
The same toy that was released in Japan as God Ginrai was released in the US as Generation One Powermaster Optimus Prime:

I believe Takara reissued this.
As he said, the toys are always at least slightly different.

Even putting aside Godbomber, there were still differences between the two toys, the retractable super-mode fists on the Ginrai toy being the biggest one. There's also the shortened smokestacks, the truck cab now being partially die-cast metal with transparent windows, and various parts that were just grey plastic were now vac metallized.

Even when Hasbro decided to use the God Ginrai tooling for their reissue of Powermaster Optimus Prime, it was still not 100% the same since the firing missiles had to be lengthened to meet safety standards.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
As he said, the toys are always at least slightly different.

Even putting aside Godbomber, there were still differences between the two toys, the retractable super-mode fists on the Ginrai toy being the biggest one. There's also the shortened smokestacks, the truck cab now being partially die-cast metal with transparent windows, and various parts that were just grey plastic were now vac metallized.

Even when Hasbro decided to use the God Ginrai tooling for their reissue of Powermaster Optimus Prime, it was still not 100% the same since the firing missiles had to be lengthened to meet safety standards.

I was in error:

I just favor the American continuity because that’s what I grew up with. I don’t really acknowledge the Japanese G1 as canon because I don’t like humans being that intimately involved in the story except for like Spike, Chip Chase, Carly, Daniel, and Kicker type characters.

It is akin to why I don’t acknowledge Beast Wars as canon because they made the Transformers organic instead of keeping them naturally-occurring gears, levers, and pulleys.

Last edited:

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
This is how you properly incorporate human characters into a G1 Transformers story:

Chip Chase and Spike, and Sparkplug, showed us a masterclass. Japanese G1 and anime exhibit a clear preference and taste for human control (eg. mecha) of machines. I thought in America we agreed that too many humans are unpalatable and usually annoying in our sentient robot Transformers stories, and our palettes prefer humans to be sprinkled in sparingly.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Counterpoint: Masterforce is better than the entirety of the G1 cartoon

No I'm not biased at all, Masterforce being my favorite series has nothing to do with this. (It genuinely doesn't, even if it wasn't my fave I'd still rank it over the G1 cartoon)

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Counterpoint: Masterforce is better than the entirety of the G1 cartoon

No I'm not biased at all, Masterforce being my favorite series has nothing to do with this. (It genuinely doesn't, even if it wasn't my fave I'd still rank it over the G1 cartoon)
Masterforce is indeed one of two Transformers cartoons that made the best use of its human cast out of every TF cartoon.

The other one is Rescue Bots.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Masterforce is weirdly good. I was skeptical the first time I watched it, but the humans are actually interesting and likable. Which is all we ever asked for.

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That is part of the Transformers Media I have never watched before. I've read some summaries of the story, but never sat down to watch it. I should do that at some point.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
That is part of the Transformers Media I have never watched before. I've read some summaries of the story, but never sat down to watch it. I should do that at some point.

I’ve noticed that a lot of hard-core Transformers fans and experts who do Transformers podcasts have never read the G1 Marvel comics or watched any of the Japanese G1 cartoons, yet they practically own all the toys and have watched all the American Transformers cartoons and maybe are familiar with IDW.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I want my humans to be their own man or woman:
IMG_2745.jpeg

Likewise, I want my Transformers to be their robots.

As G1 Galvatron said, “I’m going to blow those creepy creatures clear out of you!”

IMG_2748.jpeg

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
circuit breaker? the most aggressively unlikable human in 80's G1? really?

Yet they were showing the consqunces of the cons actions on Earth, while the cartoon tended to mostly gloss over what happened, the comics went a bit deeper and that gave birth to Circuit Breaker and they are the only one capable of disabling Transformers, thou her mentallty combined with her anger, blinded her to the reailty that there was two factions fighting it out, she could only see things in a black and white form, humans are good, robots BAD and she never truly understood the consquences of her actions which makes her a intersting character in the G1 comics, thou I believe that after the whole business with Unicron, she pretty much retreated into her own mind and stayed like that!

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
circuit breaker? the most aggressively unlikable human in 80's G1? really?

But she looked so sexy in that suit.

Her story was also compellingly tragic because she was a total good girl who turned into the total opposite of who she was.

Top Bottom