Does anyone have any idea of when it is most likely we will find out who the new Transformers comic publisher and why it has not happened yet?

The Phazer

Citizen
It was presumably cancelled because it required a bunch of investment and marketing to be this big event book, and IDW don't really have the money to do that for a book they weren't even going to be able to sell trades of as they were losing the license.

IDW are kind of in a... desperate state, financially.

It's not impossible for it to be picked up elsewhere, but again these things only make sense as big event books, and I'm not sure a new publisher is going to want to do something so reliant on all those other books they didn't publish in the short term. If nothing else, one of the things that's attractive about these events to publishers is that you hope readers buy trades of these old stories to understand what's going on, but we have no idea if the new publisher will get reprint rights for IDW's stuff, even less Marvel's (some of which Hasbro control, but not all). Even if they do, they're not going to put all those trades back in to circulation on day 1 (retailers would not respond positively to sticking 60+ trades in the distributor catalogues in one month), it'll take years.

By the time it's done, if there is a multiverse crossover, they'll probably want it to at least prominently feature their own universe and books which the IDW book would not have done, so it won't have much resemblance other than being a multiverse crossover.

Nevermore

Citizen
So what I take from all your gajillion topics so far is that you really want to see all these old stories continued. Is there a particular plot thread you want to see explored, or are you just obsessed with story sequels?

Soundwave2.0

Citizen
Could it be after Transformers 84 secrets and lies or maybe a mini series before and after Rhythms of Darkness in that reality?

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
There's a lot of hypotheticals to unpack in that question....

We don't know if Hasbro's in a hurry to solicit a new comic pitch,
We don't know if any comic contenders are thinking of getting Furman,
We don't know if Furman has any particular ideas he's wanted to tell and hasn't yet.

But let's say all that comes about, he might be tasked with doing tie-ins for for the feature films (if the new license holder is picked in time to get on the Rise of the Beasts hype train).

Or he may fill in the backstory of Earthspark, making in-universe comics showcasing the wartime adventures of the classic cast, it'd give him an opportunity to lay his well-used sayings liberally about, as this is fiction-within-fiction it can afford to be a little bit "over
the top".

It's possible, I suppose, that he could use the premise of the Legacy toyline to do that Infinite Crossover Crisis he pitched to IDW way back in 2005....

Or maybe he'll do what he does best, and grab some random characters to make a story. He has some competition in that regard, though, and we might well be asking "What will James Roberts' next TF project be"?

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I believe whoever getting the comic license, they are likely to do two things:
1. New G1 timeline but using desgins based upon Siege onwards and likely incooperate elements from other series (AKA established lore), so maybe Hot Shot encounters Hot Rod, that sort of thing, they most likely, want a clean slate to work with but taking ideas that been established over the years and putting their own twists on them
2. Comic adaptions of the newest movie and maybe doing what IDW was doing back in the day, comics that serve as prequels to the movie and filling out the gaps in the story, also, making stories to bridge over to the movie that follows, depending if it gets green lit or not

Soundwave2.0

Citizen
In one of the Transformers the definition G1 collection for regeneration one Simon talks about a early version, maybe te frist with the Decepticons being closer to Primuis ideal than the Autobos.
Doing something like that may be interesting and if he made Primuis chose a Decepticon as the new Prime who would be the most fitting?

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
You know, he never did get a chance to tell his version of the story of the Thirteen Original Transformers. I don't know if it was basically what we got in the Covenant of Primus artbook, but it'd be nice to get his version of that. If he's even still interested.

Soundwave2.0

Citizen
So what I take from all your gajillion topics so far is that you really want to see all these old stories continued. Is there a particular plot thread you want to see explored, or are you just obsessed with story sequels?
I may like to see Simon take the characters and plot in in different and similar ways to Regeneration One.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Well, this thread is about G1 which might be why. :)

But seriously, given that there were no Cyberverse comics (that I'm aware of) I'm wondering if Hasbro isn't just done with tie-in license stuff for the kids shows.

Was there even anything from IDW on the Bumblebee movie?

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Cyberverse & BB movie, the reason they didn't get comics is IDW financal troubles, from what I am aware of, they aren't in great shape, financally and got very little to actually surport themselves, but then, nobody really expected the BB movie to preform after the Last Knight movie, but then, I don't recall them doing any comics after ROTF in seriousness and focused primary on their G1 comics, with Cyberverse, they likely took one look at it and asked "Why should we bother, kids aren't going to buy comics based on this!" but as I said, IDW isn't in great shape, from what I gathered, they are late on payments to their artists and other creatives and they getting worse, this fact likely made its way to Hasbro ears and they likely wanted to avoid what happened with Dreamwave comics, which is why they have pulled the licenses, thou there could be other reasons, so don't be surprised if IDW goes belly up soon.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Was there even anything from IDW on the Bumblebee movie?
Yes. There was a prequel series of comics based on an earlier draft of the Bumblebee movie that was written to bridge the gap between the WWII scene from TLK and the Bumblebee movie.

And then the final version of the movie went and made Bee first arrive on Earth in 1987 instead.

There was also a DVD motion comic set two years after the Bumblebee movie that contained numerous references to the 2007 movie, foreshadowing to its events.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Maybe if one mini series is popular it could lead to more?

The problem is the existing Generation 2 comic isn't that popular. There are simply not enough people clamoring for an official continuation. The only possibility of it happening would be if Furman wanted to do it and the next comic publisher let him do it just to make him happy.

He doesn't want to do it. Regeneration One was his chance to go back and finish his Marvel plans. He chose to go back to the end of Generation 1 and overwrite Generation 2 completely. If he's not going to finish Generation 2, there is no other writer on this planet who will.

Soundwave2.0

Citizen
The problem is the existing Generation 2 comic isn't that popular. There are simply not enough people clamoring for an official continuation. The only possibility of it happening would be if Furman wanted to do it and the next comic publisher let him do it just to make him happy.

He doesn't want to do it. Regeneration One was his chance to go back and finish his Marvel plans. He chose to go back to the end of Generation 1 and overwrite Generation 2 completely. If he's not going to finish Generation 2, there is no other writer on this planet who will.
Could he have made a continuation or was what made the pitch possible was it being a continuation to G1?

Top Bottom