Does anyone have any idea of when it is most likely we will find out who the new Transformers comic publisher and why it has not happened yet?

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Doubtful. We haven't even gotten word of a new comic licensee yet, and something tells me that they'd want to build their own continuity to start with rather than go all-out on a multiversal crossover.

I agree, we don't need a multiverse story at this point, maybe later on down the line, they'll do their own verison of Worlds Collide

RCX

Citizen
I'm just gonna leave this right here...

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
It'd be weird if they started the Transformers off in a title that...in NO way indicates the Transformers are in it.

I feel like they would announce getting the license if that were the case....in a press release or something.

But, Robert Kirkman has pulled crazier stunts.

So...I could see him doing that. And if anyone COULD get away with that, it'd probably be Robert Kirkman. Something to keep a eye on.

Last edited:

The Phazer

Citizen
I am pretty sure Hasbro would be required to update shareholders that a deal had been done before it resulted in product tbh but we'll see.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I am pretty sure Hasbro would be required to update shareholders that a deal had been done before it resulted in product tbh but we'll see.

If that is the case, it likely be at the next shareholder meeting, but you need to bare in mind that comics are EXTREMELY small in the grand scheme of things, they aren't like Manga which pretty much exploded in resent years as DC & Marvel comics, pretty much go off the deep end into stupidy and try and have as many "events" as possible or Firsts, when they aren't really firsts, to pretty much prop them up and keeping the higher ups from shutting them down and outsourcing to another company, so with Hasbro & IDW, I'm guessing, while they may of stuck another deal with another company, IDW has formerly stopped making new comics but its likely there is a time limit in between that IDW can contuine to sell the Tradepaper backs and hard backs of the last issues of their runs before they formerly stop selling them to retailers!

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
I don't think that's accurate, Phazer.

Microsoft, via Xbox, has literally announced multiple company acquisitions during public events instead of telling investors first.

Granted Microsoft is a incomprehensibly huge company so an acquisition isn't necessarily big enough to be noteworthy to investors, but the principle remains the same.

How was the IDW license announced? Press release, investor event or what?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Hasbro is also incomprehensibly huge. Not Microsoft huge, but still beyond our mortal brains. They probably own properties even they don't know they have. "A comic book company bought a license for one of our brands" doesn't rise to the shareholder level. If they were to buy a comic company or start their own, that would be another story, because shareholders would definitely have questions about the strategy there. But this is just a brand licensing deal. Or maybe it'll be a bundle of brands. Still just a licensing deal. Hasbro does gazillions of licensing deals.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Eh, Hasbro has 5600 employees which, while a lot, is an approachable figure. Comprehensible even. 8.48 billion market cap.

Microsoft recently announced that they're laying off nearly twice that many people, and it still was only a fraction of the 220,000+ people who work for that company. 2.3 TRILLION market cap

Even if we're both right about what happened, I feel it would be deceptive to not acknowledge the wildly different scale between the two companies. Microsoft was just one of the few companies besides Hasbro that I followed with any seriousness so it was my go to for how the company interacts with its investors.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
How was the IDW license announced? Press release, investor event or what?

Interesting question. I honestly don't remember that well.

From the looks of things, Hasbro just announced it to the media, probably by press release.

And the actual press release:

Worth noting that the announcement DID come MONTHS before the first comic came out. This article is from May 19 2005. Infiltration 0 didn't come out until October 19 2005.

...It's kind of adorable that the article mentions the "controversy" of the comics being priced at $3.99. And those comments pish-poshing IDW's other tie-in's like 24 and The Shield. And Ryall interacting with the fans in the comments. The nostalgia is strong. I 'member those days.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Eh, Hasbro has 5600 employees which, while a lot, is an approachable figure. Comprehensible even. 8.48 billion market cap.

Microsoft recently announced that they're laying off nearly twice that many people, and it still was only a fraction of the 220,000+ people who work for that company. 2.3 TRILLION market cap

Even if we're both right about what happened, I feel it would be deceptive to not acknowledge the wildly different scale between the two companies. Microsoft was just one of the few companies besides Hasbro that I followed with any seriousness so it was my go to for how the company interacts with its investors.

It's not the number of employees or market cap. The amount of stuff Hasbro owns is what's staggering. They are the Disney of toys.

I'm not saying I necessarily believe this theory about a surprise reveal. It's just that if they were to play along and do that, they wouldn't have to ruin the surprise by making some shareholder disclosure. Individual brand licensing deals are micro data in the grand scheme of it.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
You tried your best to trick us again, Kirkman! And you would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids!

I was thinking about at least thumbing through the book when it comes out next Wednesday, but now I'm definitely picking it up!

And...as long as they were planning on doing both books anyway, I don't see the harm in them starting off with a shared universe. *shrug* I'll be interested to see what they have planned. Is the main character on the covers for Void Rivals actually a Joe in space armor?

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I've said it elsewhere, but starting with a shared universe doesn't instill me with a lot of confidence.
I don't mind the idea that they are in a shared universe. They can start that way and go off and do their own thing on separate worlds. When things get stale we can have some crossover events.

Top Bottom