Does anyone have any idea of when it is most likely we will find out who the new Transformers comic publisher and why it has not happened yet?

Soundwave2.0

Citizen
If Larry's G.I JOE come's back with the new publisher could that lead to a Transformers G2 return as it may be the same universe.

It could be interesting to see what different ways both sequel's could go to compered to Regeneration 1?

Soundwave2.0

Citizen
Put it this way, the publisher likely has to put up more money than IDW did, so they're going to have to sell a lot more books, to the non-core TF fandom.

The only pitches for that I think might even have a chance is a fairly faithful but talent lead G1 on Earth reboot, or a in-continuity set of stories set between Season 2 and the Movie.

That said, I am beginning to get the impression everyone is baulking at the price.

Still, I think both of those could both be fun.
What about a in-continuity series after season 4?

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I...doubt they're saving it for anything. It most likely just didn't happen due to time constraints and how fast the artists could draw. By the time they found out they were losing the license, they might not have had time to do Collision Course, as planned.

We did get Last Bot Standing, which was a..."classier" ending than a Crisis-crossover. More Old Man Logan, a little more artsy and a little more reflective. I think if you HAD to choose between the two, Last Bot Standing was the better way to go out.

Plus, it's possible Hasbro doesn't like the idea of "destroying" multiple realities just because one company is losing the license. They might want to use these universes for something in the future. Regeneration One was a thing, so it's possible someone could return to these worlds someday, like how Furman returned to the Marvel continuity.

....Then again, who knows? Furman's Beast Wars was originally supposed to be published by Dreamwave, before it found it's way to IDW. So, maybe the next publisher will take a swing at a Crisis-style crossover. Crazier things have happened. And, I'm a sucker for a crossover, so I'd be up for it. I doubt it'd be the FIRST thing anyone would do, but maybe someday.

Soundwave2.0

Citizen
I...doubt they're saving it for anything. It most likely just didn't happen due to time constraints and how fast the artists could draw. By the time they found out they were losing the license, they might not have had time to do Collision Course, as planned.

We did get Last Bot Standing, which was a..."classier" ending than a Crisis-crossover. More Old Man Logan, a little more artsy and a little more reflective. I think if you HAD to choose between the two, Last Bot Standing was the better way to go out.

Plus, it's possible Hasbro doesn't like the idea of "destroying" multiple realities just because one company is losing the license. They might want to use these universes for something in the future. Regeneration One was a thing, so it's possible someone could return to these worlds someday, like how Furman returned to the Marvel continuity.

....Then again, who knows? Furman's Beast Wars was originally supposed to be published by Dreamwave, before it found it's way to IDW. So, maybe the next publisher will take a swing at a Crisis-style crossover. Crazier things have happened. And, I'm a sucker for a crossover, so I'd be up for it. I doubt it'd be the FIRST thing anyone would do, but maybe someday.
Why do you think that multiple realities were going to be destroyed and do you know which ones?

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Slim to none. G2 ended on a cliffhanger, but very few people would remember where it left off without looking it up.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Really? I've not bothered with IDW comics. May get into comics again once I have the money. Currently very slowly getting through a huge (and expensive) back log of figures from when I was unemployed. (Titans Return, Combiner Wars and PotP)

How was Aligned handled? Were the characters plucked from their continuities and placed in the G1 timeline, or were they treated as though they were always there?

They're G1-ized version of the originals. One thing that really drove this into overdrive is when IDW1 borrowed and greatly expanded upon the colony concept from Cybertron; because they mined other continuities for inhabitants to put on those colonies. It makes sense; they wanted characters who were recognizable but weren't already used in the preceeding decade worth of comics.

Off the top of my head and, by no means a complete list...

UKG1: Pyro, Overlord, Thunderclash
JapanG1: Star Saber (Though it's a very different star saber), Deathsaurus
G2: Jhiaxus
Beast Wars: Rhinox, Rattrap, Tigatron, Airrazor, Blackarachnia (Technically Primal and Megatron too, though they're basically nameless fodder so I wouldn't count them)
Beast Machines: Tankor (BFF's with Tankor, aka Octane, making them my favorite pair of characters of all time), Strika, Obsidian
RiD2001: Sky-Byte, Gigatron
UT: Hot Shot, Tidal Wave (as a whale!)
Animated: Litebright (Animated is a little light here as a lot of its characters have interpretations in other media that superceded it)
Films: Barricade
Aligned: Knockout + Breakdown, Airachnid, Strongarm

Also numerous background cameos. Like, waaaay too many to ever count.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Here's the thing: I think it's telling that IDW didn't even both TRYING to reprint G2. It took them five volumes to give up on the UK comics, but G2? The closest we got was using the lead-in G.I. Joe issues to pad out the Classic Transformers vs G.I. Joe collection the put out, where Megatron gets his G2 tank altform. G2 was a hot mess at the time and outside of a couple of characters who emigrated out (Jhiaxus, Leige Maximo, Rook) it's pretty well forgotten at this point, outside of hyper fans.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Why do you think that multiple realities were going to be destroyed and do you know which ones?
Oh, it's possible that wouldn't have happened at all. It might have just been a crossover between all the different realities involved. But, in a Crisis style crossover, usually at least ONE universe gets destroyed, if only to raise the stakes of the plot.

And they might have reset everything back again right afterwards like nothing happened. That ALSO is a staple of some Crisis style crossovers.

Which would have made for kind of a empty story, I guess, since not much could really come out of it. Still, it could have been fun, seeing different characters interact.

Soundwave2.0

Citizen
Here's the thing: I think it's telling that IDW didn't even both TRYING to reprint G2. It took them five volumes to give up on the UK comics, but G2? The closest we got was using the lead-in G.I. Joe issues to pad out the Classic Transformers vs G.I. Joe collection the put out, where Megatron gets his G2 tank altform. G2 was a hot mess at the time and outside of a couple of characters who emigrated out (Jhiaxus, Leige Maximo, Rook) it's pretty well forgotten at this point, outside of hyper fans.
What are the odds of the new Publisher reprinting G2 and what about a sequel to Aspects of evil?

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Slim to none. G2 ended on a cliffhanger, but very few people would remember where it left off without looking it up.
It’s worth noting that Simon Furman was allowed to “finish” his plans through Regeneration One. Outside of removing Liege Maximo, I think it was heavily implied that Regeneration One basically covered all the “core plot points” he had planned for Marvel G1 and G2.
G. Joe got a new series and there was Transformers Regeneration one.
GI Joe got a revival because the “new” stuff IDW was making wasn’t making much of an impact critically or commercially. Transformers didn’t have that issue, and Regeneration One didn’t come about until Furman was pushed out of the “main” comics line.

A sequel to Generation 2 really doesn’t make much sense in the context of Regeneration One. Again, most of Simon Furman’s core plot concepts were ultimately “converted” from G2 into Regeneration One.

Soundwave2.0

Citizen
Besides, Generation 2 got a proper conclusion with Furman's "Alignment" novella.
But there was so much we did not get to see.
I could like to see how the Autobot and Decepticon alliace fell apart, the rise of Galvatron, megatron vs Galvatron and Optimus Prime vs Galvatron
How about a just mini series sequel?

Last edited:

The Phazer

Citizen
What about a in-continuity series after season 4?

I guess that's not impossible, but if you are aiming at a general "I remember that cartoon from when I was a kid" audience then being set after Rebirth leaves you with many key franchise characters that have instant recognition to the general public as dead, and is not set on a relatable real life Earth but a 2005 where we had spaceships that could travel out of the solar system, everyone wears massive shoulder pads and owns flying cars.

I think "here's a sequel" in a franchise that has lots (and lots) of sequels has less potential than "here is the famous bit but better" or "here's the missing story you never knew from the famous bit" as a comic to general audiences as a hook.

To be honest, the other thing is that the interesting hook to a post-Rebirth book is obviously Hot Rod and his (at least complex and probably awful) feelings about no longer being Rodimus Prime, and that book is interesting but probably a bit of a downer to launch your new line of comics with.

Top Bottom