Anime

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Just watched the conclusion of season two of the Far Away Paladin: Lord of the Rust Mountains, it was pretty good, while the series is a Ieskai, its far less about the MC being from another world as some series are, he is reborn into a fanstasy world and raised by a undead warrior, a mummy preistess & a ghost that was a great sage and evenly goes on adventures, season 2 has been pretty much our MC taking in a drawf as his appentice and learning of their history which involves a dragon who drove them from their home and the series builds up to a clash with the said dragon!!

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Looking for something to watch today while I work on cleaning up surveys in ESO, I was reminded to follow up on the Lensman fansubs.

You see back in 85 a Japanese studio licensed Lensman form EE Doc Smith's estate, and produced a movie and a TV series. Rather than a direct adaptation of the books though, they took the base characters from the main part of the series and did their own thing with it. (To be fair, it'd be hard to make an exciting scene out of Kimball spending weeks inside the enemy base, learning how to control the minds of insects and small animals, then guiding them to cut the psychic shielding belts of the enemy so he could take over their minds and take control of the base and eliminate the base's master, just to mention one of the major events from the books. Oh, and he guided the animals to some particularly scrumptious food for them afterwards as a reward. Then there was the time he spent weeks acclimating himself to the most addictive drug in existance so he could go undercover as a washed up asteroid miner and appear legitimate as phsyically he was totally addicted to and wasted on those drugs, while still able to tap into the thoughts of the enemy folk having a meeting in that same base at that time.)

Not totally unexpectedly, the estate has not relicensed Lensman since, and while the movie I think made it stateside once, further releases and practically -any- releases of the TV series itself were quashed. It was practically on the verge of being lost media(and in fact it was pretty much considered to be that) until a few folks from /m/ and the Skaro Hunting Society fansub groups managed to, by hook or by crook, source copies of all 25 episodes in various quality and source material. They've been slowly fansubbing it and releasing it via the usual channels for the past few years.

At this point they've got 1-6 off Laserdisc, and 7-22 off Betamax(excepting 8, 15, and 16, which came from VHS copies of copies). Turns out they struck gold however, and for the most recent release, episode 23, they were able to work with a preservation group that somehow had found some 16mm masters and was able to scan them in HD! Only 2 episodes left now, though I don't know how long it'll be before those are out. They have initial translations already done, so it's just cleaning them up, and pairing them with whatever the source is for these final episodes.

If you can get past how they don't relate to the books, and want to see what was essentialy a lost sci-fi show, it's mostly out there to see now.

Don't remember if I mentioned it before, but Galvion is another rarity that was fansubbed in the past few years, though this one was finished at the end of '20. Honestly, the show doesn't quite live up to its hype opening IMO, but the premise is that Earth was attacked by alians decaes ago, and they stripped all flight capability form humans, restricting then to cars and boats. The main characters are former criminals hired by a rich heiress to drive a car/robot transformable mech as part of a organization to do good, and stumble(and keep stumbling) onto plots by an underground organization run by most of the other rich moguls that also make use of transformable car mecha. It was cancelled before it could be properly finished, unfortunately, and unlike SPT Layzner or Gundam X it basically just ends with a bunch of loose ends. Still a decent watch though if you don't mind that.

Mostly mentioning it since Lensman's own rarity reminded me of it.

And apparently Starseeker has teamed up with the folks who did Galvion to do Gear Fighter Dendoh, so there's that too, though that's far more recent and at least had crabsticks already.

Last edited:

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Just watched the last ep of The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent, season 2 and it was beautiful, whoever directed the ep, did a good job and the animation was beautiful to say the least and it bought tears to my eyes, which doesn't happen offen but it was such a lovely ep as the series is primary a love story, but a well written one
It was a beautiful series's overall but I’m sad that it ended so soon.
On one hand it ends the will they/ won’t they between Sei and Albert as it should. There was no doubt about that outcome. But after the stuff about the Prince from the other country and the political push for her to marry I was figuring we had more to come. Feels like a lot possibly got cut. And cutting the series at the proposal. Come on, you know there is still drama between then and the wedding.

All in all it’s a lovely show. I just feel like there was more to tell.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I hope they make a third season and take the love birds out of their comfort zone to help make their relationship more soild

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I also watched both seasons. The starting concept was fun, and overall it was cute, but honestly it was a bit boring for me.
Never felt like there was any danger since Sei is basically a Mary Sue. Most of the characters could've used more personality. Almost everyone is gentle, hard working, and dances around saying what they really mean. Plus the whole being stuck in a generic pseudo-European fantasy world mostly full of rich, straight, white people with a conservative society.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I also watched both seasons. The starting concept was fun, and overall it was cute, but honestly it was a bit boring for me.
Never felt like there was any danger since Sei is basically a Mary Sue. Most of the characters could've used more personality. Almost everyone is gentle, hard working, and dances around saying what they really mean. Plus the whole being stuck in a generic pseudo-European fantasy world mostly full of rich, straight, white people with a conservative society.

Its not about the action, its about the love story, that is the primary focus of the series, for action, go and watch Shield Hero or Goblin Slayer

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Wow, thank you. I totally stuck with two seasons of the show and somehow failed to realize that romance was supposed to be the main focus, and not hot-blooded dynamic action. /s

It was clear from ep1 that it's a shojou romance. I never said it needed more action, just that it felt flat because Sei's so powerful. You don't have to have flashy action to be interesting. You don't need action at all to have fleshed out romances and characters. Saint was decent, just not great.

Other series I've watched/am watching recently:
I'm in Love With the Villainess - Girl gets isekai'd as the MC of a shoujou game, but she's a lesbian. This one was fun, though the MC gets overly pushy, but this gets addressed. Definitely up for more.

Latest season of Spy x Family - Still loving the ridiculous, yet somehow wholesome, characters and plot.

Detective Conan - I tried watching it ages ago and got bored. I retried recently, it's good when I don't want to pay too much attention. Crunchyroll had a few hundred eps missing, though, and I couldn't find them officially elsewhere. All of the sudden I'm trying to keep track of all these new chars and the larger plot. Plus the rolling time line is kinda funny. All of the sudden the characters have cell phones, we're celebrating decades of the show being on the air, yet no one has aged.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Been watching SSSS.DYNAZENON in the last two days, its pretty good show, also watched its sequel movie which is also a sequel to SSSS.GRIDMAN

The movie is more a sequel to Gridman than Dynazeon, thou the casts cross over but it barely develops the Dynazeon cast, two of them is pretty much just there with very little to actually do but that's what happens when you have a HUGE cast of characters, from Gridman alone, you get 10 to 11 characters alone (depending upon your point of view) while Dynazeon brings another five to the mix and you got to factor in the major battle sequences and having a run time of less than 2 hours, so characters don't get a lot of time to shine and its more the couples who get the most attention! While the film is not the bestest thing ever, it has Trigger's animation style written all over it with their flashy animation for the battles and you don't feel disapointed in the film story! Thou if you not seen Gridman or Dynazenon, then go and watch them first before the movie, otherwise you'll be clueless about the characters

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
First, new Wataru show coming!

Second, Bang Bravern is NOT the Real Robot show it looked like in early trailers.. they pulled a good one on us, an Obari'd it to the max:

First episode already aired, and Crunchyroll is going to simulcast it starting next week(presumably showing both episodes 1 and 2 to catch up)

Throw in the upcoming Grendizer U:

And a new Shinkalion:

And the Gundam SEED movie:

It's feeling like mecha anime fans are gonna be eating good in 2024

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Bang Brave Bang Bravern. 2 eps out so far.
I wasn't interested by the trailer alone, but I heard stuff about it from friends, and yep. Def in for the long haul. I have no idea where they're going with this, or even who the real target audience is, and I'm loving it.
The robot is gay for Isami. And that ending song on ep 2 had me laughing/flustered so bad, I was blushing to my neck.

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
I was in from the trailers just from mention of Obari directing, but was slow getting around to it because of the subs delay + general watching stuff motivation is rough to get going these days, but all the reactions to the big stuff got me to go see.

Loved the episode 1 super robot fakeout for people who weren't aware it was an Obari joint. However, I super did not expect to lead into episode 2 with Isami getting waterboarded most of the episode and not wanting to get back into Bravern because of that. We doing a PTSD speedrun, I guess!

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
JkYvVRX.jpg

pDIauza.jpg

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I'm enjoying Delicious in Dungeon, even with only four eps.

But I looked up and read the manga and it gets horrifying, sorta.

But I have the intro song on repeat, cuz it tugs at my soul. The official music video by the band doesn't show the anime but still has a story in stop motion and mixed media.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Delicious in Dungeon has been pretty good so far, its taking the dungeon conspect and to get further down needing food, thus eating the stuff within the dungeon as a means to get down quicker and carry far less, also having fresh food, its different idea to the basic idea of a dungeon!

wentwood

Citizen
Started 3 new shows

Sailor Moon Dic Series
Winx Club
W.I.T.C.H

You Tube had two of them up and another site had the Dic Sailor Moon run.

W.I.T.C.H. ran in the UK on Jetix. The version I'm watching has a different them than we saw in the USA.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
A series I think has been good so far this season is: The Weakest Tamer Began a Journey to Pick Up Trash

Its nicely animated with a intersting story, while its a isakai, but the reincarnation asspect is handled very differently to say Slime or Shield Hero, the soul of the person from our world is like a invisable friend to the MC, thou you don't hear what they say, but you are getting the MC response to it! The core of the story is following a girl who pretty much been forced to go on the run for no reason other than the fact she has no stars to her skill and has weak mana levels, when she had her appraisal to learn what her core skill is, which is Tamer, the number of stars is how good they are at it! Thus finding she has no stars, her once loving family turns on her along with the village, aside from the fortune teller, who takes the MC into her care and teaches her until she passes away, so she leaves the outskirts of the village to go on a jorrney and her first tamed monster is a slime that she names Sora, but the village has put a bounty on her head and want to kill her, because she is a starless person, believing in doing so, will bring good fortune to the village!

wentwood

Citizen
With Sailor Moon I'm watching the Dic Series as when I get to Series III these will be the Dic Dub.

Streaming the first 2 series and will switch to my set at Series III. I saw Series I to catch the episodes cut by Dic.

This was lucky for me.

The movies I have are the Dic Dub of which I watched the first movie.

Top Bottom