Anime

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
So, I was in the shower this morning thinking about anime (as one would), and kind of musing over the modern trend of having like a mini-plot synopsis as the title of a series. Now, Back In The Day (when dinosaurs ruled the earth), most anime would just have a cool-sounding title that might or might not actually mean anything or even be relevant to the anime itself. An anime connoisseur would browse the aisles of their nearest Suncoast Video (or similar fine establishment dealing in VHS and those new-fangled DVDs) and be met with a plethora of shows with titles like "Bubblegum Crisis" or "Inuyasha" or "Ranma 1/2", etc.

Now, I know this modern naming trend exists for Reasons, so I thought to myself, what would some classic anime be called if it were named in the modern style...?

"It's Not Easy Trying To Be a Cool Bounty Hunter In Space (Especially When The Space Mafia Is After You)"

"Can I Save Everyone On This Wild West Planet Where Life Is Cheap Without Killing Anyone?"

"Which Is Worse: Adolescence Or Piloting A Giant Monster That Looks Like A Robot In Order To "Save" The World?"

"I Pilot A Fighter Jet That Transforms Into A Robot To Fight Giants From Space That Have Never Known Love"

"When My Hair Turns Blonde, My Power Level Goes WAY Over 9000!"

...it's kind of fun. Anyone else care to give it a try?

Last edited:

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
"It's Not Easy Trying To Be a Cool Bounty Hunter In Space (Especially When The Space Mafia Is After You)"
Cowboy Bebop

"Can I Save Everyone On This Wild West Planet Where Life Is Cheap Without Killing Anyone?"
Trigun

"Which Is Worse: Adolescence Or Piloting A Giant Monster That Looks Like A Robot In Order To "Save" The World?"
Neon Genesis Evangelion

"I Pilot A Fighter Jet That Transforms Into A Robot To Fight Giants From Space That Have Never Known Love"
Macross

"When My Hair Turns Blonde, My Power Level Goes WAY Over 9000!"
DragonBall Z

"I Tried to Order Takeout and Now the Norse Pantheon is Crashing at My Place!"
Oh My Goddess

This IS fun! My turn.

"I Thought I Was Isekai'd But I Became a Ghostbuster Instead!"

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
"I Thought I Was Isekai'd But I Became a Ghostbuster Instead!"
YuYu Hakusho I think?

I Have To Fight Cyborg Kaijuu In My Grandfather's Giant Robot!

Can We Really Fight Dinosaurs By Crashing Our Jets Together?

Space Nazis Attacked My Home and Now I Have to Pilot a Giant Robot

My Brother Is A Suit Of Armor, And I Must Fix Him!

Can a Klutz Like Me Really Be a Princess of the Moon? (And Why Do I Have to Save The World?)

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
YuYu Hakusho I think?
👍

???

I don't want to add anything without all the other titles answered properly.

My Brother Is A Suit Of Armor, And I Must Fix Him!
Full Metal Alchemist

Can a Klutz Like Me Really Be a Princess of the Moon? (And Why Do I Have to Save The World?)
Sailor Moon

NovaSaber

Citizen

Mazinger Z

Getter Robo

Mobile Suit Gundam

I've got a few:

I Found a Notebook That Kills People so I Decided to be a God

I Owe All My Personal Growth to the Monster I Met In Another World While at Summer Camp

That Time I Solved an Ancient Egyptian Puzzle and Found Out Spirits Can Be Really Good at Card Games

If It’s for My Little Sister I’d Even Take Over the World

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
If It’s for My Little Sister I’d Even Take Over the World
Just to complete this set: Code Geass

I Got Turned Into A Kid And Now I Solve My Friend's Dad's Detective Cases!

My Classmate Is A Trained Military Mecha Pilot And He Keeps Messing Everything Up!

That Time I Killed Every Superior Officer Involved In Framing And Abandoning My Unit With An Anti-Robot Rifle

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I Got Turned Into A Kid And Now I Solve My Friend's Dad's Detective Cases!
Detective Conan
My Classmate Is A Trained Military Mecha Pilot And He Keeps Messing Everything Up!
???

That Time I Killed Every Superior Officer Involved In Framing And Abandoning My Unit With An Anti-Robot Rifle
I don't know this one either but I'm actually curious about this title, haha!

That's the point of all the exposition as anime titles anyway, to grab attention.

I'll just one since I don't know the other two (and I'm not sure if my Digimon answer is correct).

I am One of the Seven Strongest Artifical Beings in the World But I am Remembered for My Butt Machine Gun

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
“Full Metal Panic Fumoffu“ for the Classmate Mecha Pilot

Astro Boy obviously for the butt machine gun.

how about

How I got over my Space Sickness with an Armed Spaceship and my Android Girlfriend.

How the Nuke Crazy Hangry Sorceress met her Party.

NovaSaber

Citizen
Armor Hunter Mellowlink

I'll just one since I don't know the other two (and I'm not sure if my Digimon answer is correct).
It is. Specifically the first Digimon series.

How I got over my Space Sickness with an Armed Spaceship and my Android Girlfriend.
Outlaw Star

How the Nuke Crazy Hangry Sorceress met her Party.
Slayers

how about

We Built a Starship From an Old Battleship and Have One Year to Save Earth

I Fell Into a Well and Met a Dog Boy and Broke a Jewel, and Now I'm Traveling Across Feudal Japan

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
We Built a Starship From an Old Battleship and Have One Year to Save Earth

Space Battleship Yamato/Starblazers

I Fell Into a Well and Met a Dog Boy and Broke a Jewel, and Now I'm Traveling Across Feudal Japan

I'm going to guess InuYasha?

"Life is a lot more exciting now that I remembered I am really a notorious space pirate with an android girlfriend and a superpowerful secret weapon"

"I want to be the world's greatest race car driver, but will I ever find out what happened to my long lost older brother?"

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
"Life is a lot more exciting now that I remembered I am really a notorious space pirate with an android girlfriend and a superpowerful secret weapon"
I've never actually watched Captain Harlock so I don't know if he has an android girlfriend or a secret weapon. So might be someone else?
"I want to be the world's greatest race car driver, but will I ever find out what happened to my long lost older brother?"
Speed Racer

Do ovas (oavs?) count?

Me, My Classmate, My Teacher and My Rival are All Transported to Another World and All I Got is a Lousy Living Cat Shirt. Also a Robot Falls in Love With Me.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
OVAs should certainly count, I'm less certain about visual novels.

Although "I Joined A School Club For Cupcakes And Now I'm Stuck In Space (And Your Computer Is Hacked)" would make a great premise-title in either genre... if it had been a 1990s OVA people would still be talking about it, I'm sure. 😉

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
VNs are probably too obscure for the most part, unless there's an anime adaptation of course:

That Time I Punched Cthulhu With A Giant Robot Powered By The Necronomicon(And Why Is The Mystical Tome A Cute Girl?)

And for a more classic one:

Help! I'm On A Colony Of All Men, But Three Android Girls Have Fallen In Love With Me!

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
That Time I Punched Cthulhu With A Giant Robot Powered By The Necronomicon(And Why Is The Mystical Tome A Cute Girl?)
Um, Bible color?
Help! I'm On A Colony Of All Men, But Three Android Girls Have Fallen In Love With Me!
No idea.
"I Joined A School Club For Cupcakes And Now I'm Stuck In Space (And Your Computer Is Hacked)"
Doki Doki Literature Club?

I don't want to push forward without the answers, haha

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
VNs are probably too obscure for the most part, unless there's an anime adaptation of course:
CLANNAD is the first that comes to mind there, but the overall plot of the game and anime (which combine to form one large time-looping story) defy any easy description of the premise.

Still, fans of the genre keep hoping that someone will drive a dump truck of money to the right people to make more anime retellings of games:

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Saber Marionette.

(I have fond memories of a Japanese-fluent girlfriend reading a synopsis of the pilot episode and Lime's awakening to me. She had a good voice for such things....)

Here's another older saga:
"On The Run From My Estranged Wife's Company, I Saved A Cat's Life By Sticking Its Brain In The Combat Robot I Stole"

Top Bottom