Mayhems tangled mess of controler cords

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
In retrospect, moving to mobile only should have been a gigantic red flag.

Like WTF is plant levels when this franchise is a silly plug and play tower defence.

Ironbite4

Citizen
Really? You saw that Destiny 2 teaser trailer and you're just "meh"?

Ironbite-at least put some respect on Marathon coming back.

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
Never played Destiny in fact there was not a single game shown in that showcase I would buy
They did show games thats why I gave the Showcase a meh

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Bungie's not even putting respect on Marathon, they're turning it into an extraction shooter.

Can't wait to explode my wrists being bad at Spider-Man again, tho.

unluckiness

Citizen
I guess Spidey and Metal Gear have my attention. Metal Gear I'd wait on reviews on since no way am I trusting Konami. Spider-Man's going to be hard to mess up but not something I'd rush out and buy a PS5 for right now.

Unless they reveal evil Peter Parker gameplay featuring Drive That Funky Soul.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Think I'm done with Dangan Summer for now. Beat story mode and got all the cards/equipment. I haven't beaten the entire Battle Tower, but am also lazy about trying to get extra strong units (a lot of it is luck based).

Currently debating whether to try getting into another game, or just wait until the 30th for Raincode.

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
That Nintendo Direct had some solid bangers it was actually good
A new solo Peach game
a new Mario
Mario RPG
Portable Metal Gear collection
Portable Arkham collection

unluckiness

Citizen
I’d take Metal Gear. Arkham games on a tiny not-so bright screen sounds like a headache.

Mario RPG is eh. I don’t dislike it but I’d never pay full price for an old game reskinned.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I played the Arkham games the first time around. So I'm not really tempted with that. I've never been into Metel Gear.

I'll keep an eye on that Mario game though. It looks like they're taking the 2D game play system I love so much and really going different places with it.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
A bit tangential to gaming, but not sure it warrants its own thread:

I got around to watching Virtually Heroes. I enjoyed it, and its meta elements are WAY better done that it had any right to be. So what is it? And, hey, its got Mark Hamill!

Back in 2013, Roger Corman (yes, THAT Corman) got a couple guys to make movie using his vast library of stock footage from the warsploitation films made in the mid-late 80s in the Philippines. To justify that reuse, the film is structured like a game where set pieces replay in the same spots in each level. The film ended up sitting on a shelf for decade until finally coming out this year.
Two characters in a generic military shooter find themselves in an existential crisis after endless replaying of the same level and events. Along the way, the film lampoons and homages TONS of gaming tropes that were common in the mid-2000s military shooter.

Because of its age, it hits…a bit differently than if it had been released a decade ago. Many of the tropes have phased out of the gaming discourse over the past decade, so it feels more out of place. The structured military shooter has given way to things like open world or cinematic experiences. Gaming, in general, is a bit more sensitive than what was allowed to occur in those mid-2000s games.
But if you’ve been in the gaming space for a while and remember the mid-2000s, a lot of the gags still land. And the homages go beyond those found in Xbox military shooters (including some cheekily named achievements). At one point, two characters engage in a fighting game sequence with music “similar-but-legally distinct” from Street Fighter 2, including a slowdown defeat. A multiplayer segment (featuring cameos from Robert Patrick, Martin Kove, and Jan-Michael Vincent from the reused film footage) features character names like “Cobrachi” and “Eeeehonda”. When a character uses the cheat code (again, similar but distinct from the old Konami code), you see his character act out the motions and his eyes glow (including his hud, featuring a doom style portrait). The NPC section is still quite accurate, even if developers have moved to work around that issue. Level complete screens, character customization, randomized loot, even if dated, more than a few of these bits have solid delivery or landing. And some are just solid gags aimed at the film’s low budget

As a long time gamer, I was amused the entire way. Not just with the nods to gaming, but also to how the films keeps its tongue firmly in cheek. How can you not love a movie willing to use red Tupperware with a white painted cross for med kits?

Critics obviously hated the film. It’s juvenile, crass, and leans into knowledge of gaming to make most jokes land. But if you DO have that gaming knowledge? It’s wonderful parody to gaming as a while, even if some elements have become dated.
Also, be sure to watch through for the post-credits scene!

Top Bottom