X-Men '97 - continuation of 1992 Animated Series

Shadewing

Citizen
Oh and I'm curious to see if the baby name change is meaningful at all. Did they leave out Christopher just to not have to deal with Corsair...

I feel like the change makes sense, in both cases he's named after Scott's lost (space-fairing) Father figure. I don't think it's meant to diss Corsair, but more that Charles is the one currently on everyone's mind.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw both. Loved the new intros, even if they weren't as snappy at some parts. Oh, I don't like Morph being scared with a gun. I think this isn't Age of Apocalypse Morph with a cape or Exiles Morph but the gun use seems weird when he could just be morphing.

I sooorta miss the macho Terminator (?) theme that played when Bishop was on screen, haha. Miss the mullet.

Ep1 had weeeeeeird Cyclops use. I'm pretty sure they won't use those techniques again but did he ever do that in the comics? Seemed like they were trying to make Cyclops cool. Great cliffhanger.

Ep2 loved the villain. Not used to not villain's costume so I laugh. Love the feeling of knowing what comic arcs are happening but still not knowing for sure. Great cliffhanger.

Last edited:

Shadewing

Citizen
Cyclops' use of his powers are more accurate then most depictions. He doesn't shoot lasers; he shoots a 'concussive force' I've seen it described as "Punch beams" And this is how you see it being used here, he's using it to shove things away, like how he ses it to push himself out of harms way, or how in the second episode he uses to to creat a barrier by pushing up the floor from it burrowing under the ground.

Echowarrior

Citizen
Caught the premiere this morning before I left for work...and I loved it.

I do hope that we get an explanation for Bishop being there, and for Morph changing up his look, but something tells me that'll be something that we'd have to look for the tie-in comics for. Which sucks.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Cyclops' use of his powers are more accurate then most depictions. He doesn't shoot lasers; he shoots a 'concussive force' I've seen it described as "Punch beams" And this is how you see it being used here, he's using it to shove things away, like how he ses it to push himself out of harms way, or how in the second episode he uses to to creat a barrier by pushing up the floor from it burrowing under the ground.
I know about the concussive force (shown properly when he slowed down Cannonball falling by using his beam but being precise enough not to cut him in half, in a Christmas Joe Maduriera spelling issue).

But has he used his beams to slide away from danger before in the comics? Slowing down his fall, sure, but I don't think I've seen the push thing during a fight.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
The biggest thing to me is the Rogue/Magneto angle. Yes, it’s from the comics, but that has NEVER been touched upon in the series before. Rogue didn’t know Magneto when he was first introduced, and never referred to him as “Erik” in subsequent appearances. But then again, the cartoon has always played a little “fast and loose” with continuity, so we’ll see.

Aside from that, I was fairly pleased with the result. The writing was pretty on point to the old series (though, the second episode clearly saw them embracing that TV-PG rating a bit), the animation was…fine. It had that “3d masquerading as a 2D“ series vibe with the inconsistent frame pacing leading to some jerky moments…but also some really smooth moments. At least this has resulted in better action sequences than what the old show would have been able to muster.

The voices were on point, mostly. You can definitely tell that between time and new equipment, the “old guard” were aging. The worst offender being Lenore Zann, but damn if she isn’t putting her all in. Catherine Disher’s turn as Val Cooper is also telling to why she was replaced as Jean Grey. I think the biggest surprise was Ray Chase’s turn as Cyclops, evoking Norm Spencer’s while also (perhaps due to the better lines) surpassing in how character was portrayed.
I’m still not a fan of Matthew Waterson’s Magneto. He just lacks a gravitas the character had in the old series, particularly during a key event in episode 2. Waterson’s just comes off a bit…slimey? He just lacks the ”depth” to carry this character, especially as such a key figure.

Frankly, most of that is coming down to picking nits. For the grand return of X-Men, they are still off to a great start.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Rogue and Magneto got to fool around (prooobably) in the Savage Land cuz powers are neutralized there, right?

But Magento copy Joseph got to touch Rogue cuz he made a thin magnetic field around himself. (No idea if they fooled around). Would that ep2 would have made the field effect more obvious.

Btw, who's the green bird lady? There's Banshee, Dusk, Maggot. Friend said antler girl is someone I don't know either, Nature Girl. And maybe lady beside her is Blink? But who's the green bird lady?

Screenshot_20240321_144937_YouTube.jpg

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Regarding the animation (not aimed at anyone here, just people online):

Regarding how the animation is done:

Regarding the show itself. Episode 1 was excellent and got us reintroduced to the characters and had exceptional scenes for both Cyclops and Storm. The old show did Cyclops well, usually, but Storm was often done dirty. No longer. The new show also let Bishop and Morph really flex their powers.

Regarding the 2nd episode. That's probably the best thing I've seen from anything X-Men ever. Like I'd say better than probably almost anything from Marvel period. It was so flipping fantastic.

Other things I liked.
- Jubilee dancing
- Rogue and Magneto (issue #274 for life)
- Jean and Ororo's relationship
- Logan swears now
- Morph and Wolverine actually come off as buddies here
- Everything Magneto
- Gambit's half shirt
- "Who?! Apocalypse?!"
- Everyone is beautiful (even an ugo like original Morph)

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Its Stacy-X; you have to ignore what she's wearing due to the "Fashion Show"
Oooh thanks a lot!

Oh yeah, that dancing part was super neat!

I think they tried too much to make Cyclops look cool in action. But I guess that's OK. I do hope they have the budget to repeat that slide action move tho. He should have wheels on his shoes (heelies?) or call himself Slide-clops, hehe

I was telling my friend that it would have made more storytelling sense to have Storm get her Mohawk look after the unfortunate incident, ala she wanted to change her look cuz she underwent a lifestyle change...

...but he reminded me that she got that look from partying with Yukio and the Mohawk has nothing to do with unfortunate incident.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen

Regarding the show itself. Episode 1 was excellent and got us reintroduced to the characters and had exceptional scenes for both Cyclops and Storm. The old show did Cyclops well, usually, but Storm was often done dirty. No longer. The new show also let Bishop and Morph really flex their powers.

Regarding the 2nd episode. That's probably the best thing I've seen from anything X-Men ever. Like I'd say better than probably almost anything from Marvel period. It was so flipping fantastic.

Other things I liked.
- Jubilee dancing
- Logan swears now
- Everything Magneto
- Gambit's half shirt
- "Who?! Apocalypse?!"
Fine.
Then the digital coloring work was poorly done to give that impression. As is, a lot of the shading should have been straight black if you were trying to evoke the cheap animation of the 90s.

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen

Other things I liked.
- Jubilee dancing
- Logan swears now
- Everything Magneto
- Gambit's half shirt
- "Who?! Apocalypse?!"

This hits most the points I was going to make. They went real hard on making Cyclops and Storm cool. Haven't really watched the original since it was still airing on Fox, but I seen to recall Storm rarely getting to go wild with her powers, and that if she did she would faint or something. Loved the "omega level threat detected" and then just letting her wreck shop.

Just really liked all the character interactions and everything. Its really impressive how well they can both capture the spirit and vibe of the original while also improving the quality so much.

Shadewing

Citizen
Honestly I've no issues with the animation; and I love the stuff like the fight scene at the sentinel graveyard, and Magneto's big show of power to appeal to the judge at the end of the second episode.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
I can see certain shots that would look like cel-shaded 3d models, but then there would immediately be followed with a shot with impeccable animation or more detail than many of the other shots (theres also one oart where Magneto is talking to the judges in the sky where the lipsynch is abysmal)

But overall i had a wonderful time watching and rewatching these episodes. I absolutely love the extra love given to Cyclops and Storm as they have long been my favorites on the team.

Echowarrior

Citizen
Speaking of Storm...

Do you think she'll have her powers back by the end of the season, or the end of next season?

Shadewing

Citizen
Speaking of Storm...

Do you think she'll have her powers back by the end of the season, or the end of next season?

I'll kinda be surprised if she doesn't have her power back by the end of the season. Though if they follow comics It could be multiple seasons as it was 40 issues before her powers were resored, so about 4 years. But I doub it will be that long with how much they condense storylines to work for the animated medium.

Destron D-69

FF10F0
Citizen
watched these 2 episodes yesterday and, while it was good to see Scott not being a punk again... not digging the new voice for Jubilee and I'll never understand why they bring Roberto in instead of Danny... I mean if you're going to bring in anyone from the new mutants.... besides Wolfsbane ...

oh well. guess I'll see where it goes.

the Rogue and Magneto thing Might be something from way back that was never implied but could have happened while she was younger -like we're talking her pre-Ms. Marvel contact days in the brotherhood.

Last edited:

Top Bottom