X-Men '97 - continuation of 1992 Animated Series

Shadewing

Citizen
Who don't I want would be more apt. But hopefully more of a better part most non team members got in the original run for any others. I'm hoping we get more of Nightcrawler and Colossus. Add a version of Kitty too.

Nightcrawler looks like he might actually be a new teammate. At least he's important enough in the first season to be one of the first wave toys.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
...and another in the corner with Nature Girl I can't ID.

Given it's a red head, it could be just about anyone. Hope or Rachel Summers come to mind.

...But, the funniest thing I could think of would be if it's Spider-Girl. No, not any of the Spider-Girls you're thinking of. I'm talking about Gwen Warren, the "clone daughter" of Cyclops, the Spider-Queen, and Gwen Stacy.

Since this is the Daily Bugle, it'd just be funny if they did a news article featuring another Spider-adjacent character who happens to be a mutant. Especially with "Is Spider-Man a Mutant?" right there. And even though she doesn't look like this mysterious red head, Gwen does have a (recent) past with Nature Girl, so it kind of works.

I'm just not sure if they would ever reference X-Men Green. Or if they would've even had time to. I know this has been in production for a while, so this animation might actually pre-date X-Men Green.

Last edited:

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Looks great. Cyclops sounds pretty close to the original.

While I like that they're expanding the team, I hope we see some women added to the roster. Confirmed characters are all male and one of the best things about the old series was it was mostly evenly split between male and female.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Also love the X-Men #4 homage with the outfits for Gambit, Rogue, Jubilee, and Wolverine.

Attachments

• full-x-men-97-first-look-from-empire-magazine-showrunner-v0-1t97gd48wpic1.jpeg
    full-x-men-97-first-look-from-empire-magazine-showrunner-v0-1t97gd48wpic1.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 33

Teufel

Citizen
Magneto's original voice actor David Hemblen passed a way a few years ago, so while this new one's a bit underwhelming I give it a pass because that's a tough act to follow.

Some of those shots, especially the early crowd ones, looked horrendous and I actually don't think visually it's that great looking, buuuut there's enough of the original cast that there's no way I can't skip it. Excited to hear Wolverine and Gambit again. I skimmed Cal Dodd's Cameo videos last year and he's still got it!

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I think it helps me that I never thought the original 90s x-men cartoon was very good.

Don't get me wrong, I watched it all, and enjoyed it, then and now for what it was. And it was groundbreaking in how much it reflected the comics, but even at the time I thought the animation and aesthetic was really rough and ugly and the writing was frequently very clumsy.

I almost wonder if this is going to be too well done to capture my nostalgia.

-ZacWilliam, the voice acting was iconic though. Sometimes campy, but absolutely iconic and it's gonna take me awhile to adjust to new voices.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm finding this a bit weird with them acting as if Xavier is dead since didn't it end with Lilandra taking Charles away to help him? Guess Shi'ar med tech is not that good then.
This is what I was wondering. I don't think I even caught the last season for one reason or another, but I remember some promotion for the last episode, and tuned in.

I had no idea what was going on, but that part stuck with me.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I feel like no matter how good this is, its just gonna get continuously shit on.
What doesn’t anymore?
Magneto's original voice actor David Hemblen passed a way a few years ago, so while this new one's a bit underwhelming I give it a pass because that's a tough act to follow.

Some of those shots, especially the early crowd ones, looked horrendous and I actually don't think visually it's that great looking, buuuut there's enough of the original cast that there's no way I can't skip it. Excited to hear Wolverine and Gambit again. I skimmed Cal Dodd's Cameo videos last year and he's still got it!
The new one is fine, but I think trying to push a bit more “accent” might have worked. David Hemblen’s Magneto had a distinct “Euro” accent that I don’t think any of subsequent portrayals ever touched back to.

The animation though? It feels like (at least in the trailer) there’s that intentional “frame skipping” at many instances in an attempt to replicate the “inaccuracies” of hand drawn animation. Which works AGAINST it by simple virtue of the broad improvements made in the last 30s of animation techniques and technology. We’ll see how it turns out in full episodes.
Also, Gambit got recast, but his original VA will instead be picking up Cable.
I think it helps me that I never thought the original 90s x-men cartoon was very good.

Don't get me wrong, I watched it all, and enjoyed it, then and now for what it was. And it was groundbreaking in how much it reflected the comics, but even at the time I thought the animation and aesthetic was really rough and ugly and the writing was frequently very clumsy.

I almost wonder if this is going to be too well done to capture my nostalgia.

-ZacWilliam, the voice acting was iconic though. Sometimes campy, but absolutely iconic and it's gonna take me awhile to adjust to new voices.
I loved the original series for its relative accuracy to the comics. I always felt (especially in recent times) that the series had maybe too much ambition for the resources being provided for it?
Either way, you compare X-Men to other Marvel contemporaries…it was still better than most of Marvel’s animation output. Spider-Man got better writing, but even less of an animation budget. Season 1 of Iron Man and Fantastic 4 were varying degrees of boring to mediocre, but season 2 of Iron Man did see a step up. Hulk was just…fine. But by the time you get to Avengers UTS Spider-Man Unlimited and Silver Surfer, Marvel’s stuff was fairly poor.

All things considered, I’m highly hopeful that X-Men 97 will continue the franchise’s trend of pretty good animation adaptions.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Wow, really? I figured it'd have a higher budget, what with all those CG bits and stuff.
If Spider-Man had a bigger budget, it went to the luxurious voice cast they managed to get. The CGI bits only appeared in a few episodes early on and only reappeared as “stock footage”. The show is actually rather notorious for the amount of reuse it did, to the point I almost believe they intentionally wrote some episodes to take advantage of that, including flashbacks.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
I feel like no matter how good this is, its just gonna get continuously shit on.
After the X-Men 97 trailer, my YouTube feed started to get garbage on how Disney is ruining X-Men. Looking into it, it seems some of the “usual folks” are up in arms about Morph being declared non-binary by the showrunner (and a knee jerk conclusion jump to now there will suddenly be a homosexual relationship between Morph and Wolverine).
Now the complaints are that Disney is ruining X-Men by making it “woke”.

People are complaining X-Men, a comic born as an allegory for race relations during the Civil Rights Movement, is being too “woke”
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Echowarrior

Citizen
I'm not even sure that people use that word right. I know they don't care about using it right, but still.

Anyway, I'll give this a shot.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
After the X-Men 97 trailer, my YouTube feed started to get garbage on how Disney is ruining X-Men. Looking into it, it seems some of the “usual folks” are up in arms about Morph being declared non-binary by the showrunner (and a knee jerk conclusion jump to now there will suddenly be a homosexual relationship between Morph and Wolverine).
Now the complaints are that Disney is ruining X-Men by making it “woke”.

People are complaining X-Men, a comic born as an allegory for race relations during the Civil Rights Movement, is being too “woke”
giphy.gif

I wouldn't mind Morph being non-binary now. To be honest, it would make sense for his character. I just hope that since he looks like his AoA self from the comics, that he acts like the AoA version, as he was awesome.

Top Bottom