X-Men '97 - continuation of 1992 Animated Series

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
First look at the Sentinel toy from the new show:

1689364999260.png

So how many of these should I get to army build?

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
You guys want the toy news here? Okay…
Amazon has the X-Jet up for order RIGHT NOW. Includes Storm

A little undersized, but at least Hasbro is including figures with its premium vehicle offerings. But they seem to have tried to put some solid features in there, including a drop swing, a back grip for “top riding” the vehicle along with the requisite cockpit and shooting projectiles.

Amazon also has listings for the first wave of figures, which seems to be Rogue, Wolverine, and Cyclops. Plus The Sentinel, but it seems Amazon is mixing up the listings with a Titan Wolverine figure, so be aware.
I’m a bit surprise just 3 figures, Hasbro usually ships them an even 4. Kind of makes me wonder if Gambit wasn’t planned for wave 1 and got bumped back? Or maybe he’s being released with a $20 vehicle thing?

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Apparently, they showed some footage at SDCC. I haven't found a leak of it yet though....

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Hasbro’s got a new wave of Legends for the series as well. Good chance to pick up on a few you might have missed earlier. Some of these might have more differences than what I’m seeing from prior releases:
Wolverine (mask and unmasked)
Bishop (new short hair)
Gambit
Rogue (green jacket)
Storm (Mohawk on 92 body)
Magneto (cartoon with red hands)
These are sort of the continuation of, I guess, Hasbro’s “non-core Legends” lines on cardback. Just like what they did with Into the Spiderverse. Wolverine looks REALLY good.

Still can’t find any info on that last X-Men 97 Epic Heroes release. I’m wondering if it might be relegated to a retailer set of some sort. For reference, Spin Master’s Flash line had at LEAST 3 figures relegated to Amazon box set releases, including Zod and Supergirl. As Epic Heroes seems styled after Spin Master’s DC products, it wouldn’t surprise me

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
So, it turns out that, sometimes, it pays to actually watch the corporate shilling. Hasbro’s Marvel guys were on stream with Marvel Entertainment and “officially” revealed the X-Men 97 product line. The big reveal we hadn’t seen was a Target exclusive 5 pack, featuring all the figures we’ve seen thus far plus…GAMBIT. Hasbro’s Ryan Ting confirmed the multipack is the only way to get Gambit (at the moment).
In order to get “everything”, you invariably end up with an extra Storm figure.

So there you go, that’s this fall’s X-Men 97 line up. We’ll see how things go, but I could see Hasbro getting some decent mileage out of this line if Disney doesn’t screw around with too much crap (an issue they’ve said they are addressing). Even at the slower rate of a “kids line”, next spring could easily see a single release of Gambit With other characters. But with the way the toy industry is and how short sighted Disney has been with its various projects…I’m not sure I’m going to roll the dice on MAYBE seeing another round of toys through next year.

Assuming Hasbro is still throwing support behind X-Men next year (they might, cartoon got pushed to January 2024), I could see this for next year’s product:
Spring 24 Single cards- Gambit, Magneto. Fall 24 Single cards- Jean Grey, Morph, Wolverine (new deco)
Deluxe figures Spring 24 (Hasbro is apparently stingier with their size and budgets, Hulk also got spun out of the basic figure assortment)- Beast. If Hasbro is feeling jiggy, maybe Sinister as well here. Fall 24 could keep Beast and add in Cable, or Sinister if he doesn’t make the earlier cut.

It’s weird trying to “plan out” Epic Heroes because it’s so new, in terms of Hasbro’s recent strategies. That’s on TOP of the shorter lives of most of the kids lines these days.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I heard somewhere that Bishop is a part of the main team now, which is cool.

That's something that's always sort of torn me about the cartoon. I'd find out all the other guys were members of the team in the comics, either past or contemporaneously, but the roster in the cartoon was always static (aside from killing Morph early on).

And yet, and maybe this is a more recent thing, but it feels like no team roster -- X-Men or otherwise -- lasts very long in comics. There's always someone leaving or joining or disbanding. I don't mind the joining, actually, but still.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Official images of the Legends wave (REALLY good stuff, especially the extra accessories. Hasbro just NAILED this wave, and shows maybe BAFs aren’t all they’re cracked up to be) and the Target exclusive Team Pack ($45, a DAMN fine price for 5 fully articulated action figures these days)

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
I know it'd feel too much like a Modern Hype Train, but the 1990s is a certain fast-talking mercenary's Debut Decade....

So though it's probably unlikely to be scheduled, could Ryan Reynolds please have a guest appearance in this?

I mean, a Wolverine/Deadpool team-up where Wolverine uses the "egg-sucking gutter trash" line, and Deadpool just says "....really? Why did I agree to go Y7?" would be worth a thousand My Way Juggernaut riffs....

MrBlud

Citizen
They’d almost assuredly get Nolan North who has done Deadpool for almost everything and (IMO) isn’t that great a voice for the character.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Rogue sounded just like I remembered her, and the new cyclops isn't bad. Magneto doesn't have his usual shakespearian voice though. I like the art style and animation.

What the heck did gambit do to wolverine's claws?????????!?!!!!?!!?!!

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Kinetic Claw! I better see this as a new dual super in the next Marvel Vs Capcom!

I'm finding this a bit weird with them acting as if Xavier is dead since didn't it end with Lilandra taking Charles away to help him? Guess Shi'ar med tech is not that good then.

Kind of sad we don't see more new characters rather than new designs for the returning cast. About all I caught was on that Daily Bugle advertising the Mutant Fashion show with
Dust, Stacy X, Maggot, and Nature Girl on the cover with Banshee and another in the corner with Nature Girl I can't ID. Also the missing poster next to it in the shot has Marrow on it.

Top Bottom