X-Men '97 - continuation of 1992 Animated Series

Shadewing

Citizen
Thoughts on elements and future thing I kinda want to see
So I was thinking on the 'Humans using sentienel tech' and I'm starting to wonder if this plotline will lead to one of my favorite villians from the 90's: Bastion. A human Sentinel android. Operation: Zero Tolerance could be very good seasonal arc down the line.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
watched these 2 episodes yesterday and, while it was good to see Scott not being a punk again... not digging the new voice for Jubilee and I'll never understand why they bring Roberto in instead of Danny... I mean if you're going to bring in anyone from the new mutants.... besides Wolfsbane ...
Danny? Dani Moonstar Mirage? Cuz started the New Mutants comic with the Demon Bear?

Btw, Pryor doesn't have psychic abilities, right? Inferno was a magic related affair?

Shadewing

Citizen
Danny? Dani Moonstar Mirage? Cuz started the New Mutants comic with the Demon Bear?

Btw, Pryor doesn't have psychic abilities, right? Inferno was a magic related affair?

Pyror is a clone of Jean Grey, so technically always had her powers; but becuase she believed she was just a normal human she never knew of them until Sinister laid a series of Truth bombs on her. That eventually leads to her going mad, getting involved with Limbo in order to get her baby back; which is where the magic side of things come in. tbh She's kinda a victim in all of this. Sinister's pawn, gets immediately dumped by her husband and father of her child, becuase the real Jean is back. Gets kidnapped with baby, tortutred, told she's not only a mutant but clone, and kinda literally goes to hell and back to try and get her baby... Like She's the very definition of "A woman scorned" imo.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So if the supervising director was saying they were trying to be creative, trying something new, then the slide pushing probably isn't in the comics. They just came up with it for the show.

Unless it's something he does in Marvel vs. Capcom or some game, I'm not sure. Cyclops was one of my mains in Children of the Atom, but rarely after that. And it's been a long time.

Oh, weren't there people wondering why Gambit charged up Wolverine 's claws but they didn't explode?
Yep.

I figured they did explode, but adamantium is strong enough to withstand the explosion.

Dvandom

Citizen
Back in the OHOTMU days, I seem to recall it was explicitly stated that Cyke's beams did not cause recoil, as the energy emerged from portals to some other dimension and therefore any recoil was absorbed interdimensionally. Otherwise he'd take his own head off. I mean yeah, looks cool in animation, but stuff like using it to slow his descent would function a lot like hanging himself.

---Dave

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
If I recall correctly, Cyclops and his kin can't be hurt by their powers, so I'll just happily file it under that.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
We finished watching the first episode last night. The kids loved it! I had to explain to them what Concussive force meant and how Cyclops was using his powers.

I am wondering who Jean Grey encountered in the astral plane like that. Apocalypse? The Shadow King? I am sure that we will find out shortly. Loved the whole zombie sentinels.

The glass tornado was epic! Morph was great in this episode. Loved how he kept changing into other people. We got to see his original 90s form, Jean Grey, Archangel, and the blob. I freaking almost lost it when he switiched into Archangel during the free fall.

My little critique.

This Master Mold didn't seem to be as large or produce as many sentinels as the first one did. I mean Wolverine and Gambit took it out when the first one took the blackbird crashing into it filled with explosives. Plus, that fight flet like it was an epic battle that required them to get help from Mageneto to even survive, while this one, it didn't feel that difficult for them. I guess the X-Men must have leveled up a few times. :)

Still, I can't wait to see more of this show!

Shadewing

Citizen
My little critique.

This Master Mold didn't seem to be as large or produce as many sentinels as the first one did. I mean Wolverine and Gambit took it out when the first one took the blackbird crashing into it filled with explosives. Plus, that fight flet like it was an epic battle that required them to get help from Mageneto to even survive, while this one, it didn't feel that difficult for them. I guess the X-Men must have leveled up a few times. :)

The team getting better is an option and when you consider this fight scene is certainly more epic then anything in the old show, its easy to lean that way; but I also think you have to consider their surroundings. They weren't making new sentinels; they were getting old sentinels to work and mass producing the tech. So Master Mold here might just be a repurposed regular Sentinel. So while the X-men have indeed upped their game to be able to take out this many sentinels with ease; the villians were also somewhat handicapped by what they were able to do and make.

GodSentinelOmega

The Omega Knight Returns!
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
iirc its not specifically the Summer bros, any blood siblings are immune to the others power.

I’ve been rewatching the og series before I move on to ‘97, and in the Pheonix Saga, Banshee faces off against Black Tom and they make mention that their powers don’t work on each other because they’re brothers..

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
I’ve been rewatching the og series before I move on to ‘97, and in the Pheonix Saga, Banshee faces off against Black Tom and they make mention that their powers don’t work on each other because they’re brothers..
Yes, the "Jamaican Colours beat Pimp Cane" (as My Way Productions put it) scene was the other then-well-known example.

Cain Marko, however, is not immune to his half-brother's ability, hence the helmet.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Also, isn't he a step-brother and not a half brother?
Familial relationships in the Marvel Multiverse are notoriously prone to retcons -- just ask 616-Quicksilver, who in universe has said that he does not wish to hear from any more randos offering Yet Another Twist regarding his parentage -- but I believe that the comics versions of Xavier and the Juggernaut were a case of same-mother-different-fathers? Though it's been a while, and that could have been rewritten. Also it may have been not included in the cartoon backstory.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Cain Marko is famously not a mutant. His powers are magic based.
Not that Actual Genetics plays that much of a role in this (though writers have tried, especially with X-23), but if they do share gene sequences (as we're trying to figure out elsewhere in the thread) then Cyttorak's involvement shouldn't really much matter.

On the flip side, of course, Cyttorak's involvement ensures that Cain DOESN'T NEED NO DAMN KEY to enter his brother's house.... :LOL: 🙃 :LOL:

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Familial relationships in the Marvel Multiverse are notoriously prone to retcons -- just ask 616-Quicksilver, who in universe has said that he does not wish to hear from any more randos offering Yet Another Twist regarding his parentage -- but I believe that the comics versions of Xavier and the Juggernaut were a case of same-mother-different-fathers? Though it's been a while, and that could have been rewritten. Also it may have been not included in the cartoon backstory.
No Cain's Dad married Xavier's Mom while both were pretteens after Xavier's dad died. They are Step Brothers. Cain's powers are Mystical in nature only. The cartoon never delved deeper into it as far as I recall.

Evolution and other continuities might be different but as TAS and '97 tend to follow the comics as of that time period I'd still say Step-brothers is where it's at.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Unless it's something he does in Marvel vs. Capcom or some game, I'm not sure. Cyclops was one of my mains in Children of the Atom, but rarely after that. And it's been a long time.

Yep.

I figured they did explode, but adamantium is strong enough to withstand the explosion.
Right, hence the big pink explosion as he hits Master Mold's neck. Plus Wolverine is half naked from the explosion.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Right, hence the big pink explosion as he hits Master Mold's neck. Plus Wolverine is half naked from the explosion.
20240326_121228.jpg

Holy cow, that's right! The fight was over and the scene after shows Logan’s clothes torn when they weren't before.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
He tore them himself when they didn't get torn on their own. Gotta get that hairy Wolverine chest on camera at least once.

Anyway, the reason I brought up the relationship/powers thing is that if they can't hurt each other with their powers, that means they probably can't hurt themselves that way, either, so that might be the loophole around Cyclops not self-decapitating himself when using his optic blasts to move around.

Top Bottom