What happened to my Filmation He-man and She-ra???

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I always thought Thundercats could be a part of Masters of the Universe, same idea. I was shocked that the Sword of Omens was beaten:

That’s what I like about the Filmation Sword of Power. It was never broken; it was indestructible. It couldn’t even be melted. That is why I had a problem with Revelation, which broke the Power Sword in half.

He-man’s Power Sword cannot be melted down:

(cued to 18:20)

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Why aren’t Transformers fans doing more to elevate Masters of the Universe. Beast Wars was created by Filmation Masters of the Universe writers Larry DiTillio and Bob Forward.

Per the Transformers Wiki:

Bob Forward is an American writer god. He and Larry DiTillio were the story editors of the Beast Wars television series.

Per Twitter:

Beast Wars' story editors had conflicting ideas on who the Vok were. Bob Forward imagined the Vok as the evolutionary endpoint of all sentient life in the universe. Larry DiTillio wanted to link the Vok to the Swarm from the G2 comic. Neither origin made it into the show.(1996-9)

Destron D-69

FF10F0
Citizen
agreed, while some people swim in both pools, the 80's was a time often beset by brand factioning... drink pepsi well then you have to hate coke, a star wars kid wouldn't be caught dead doing the vulcan salute ... not without the accompanying "nanu nanu" to show disdain. He-man was old news man, that's what your older brothers or cousins played with, the new hotness was tfs, then it was tmnt, power rangers, transformers again, and then you were supposed to grow up and kiss girls ... it was a whole thing...

as a tf fan, I survived the death of the brand once...
as a motu fan.. what are we up to now, 6? 5? I think it's 5 deaths. The brand can't support itself at this point. just wrap it up and send it down the river like Boromir to meet GiJoe and gobots

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
agreed, while some people swim in both pools, the 80's was a time often beset by brand factioning... drink pepsi well then you have to hate coke, a star wars kid wouldn't be caught dead doing the vulcan salute ... not without the accompanying "nanu nanu" to show disdain. He-man was old news man, that's what your older brothers or cousins played with, the new hotness was tfs, then it was tmnt, power rangers, transformers again, and then you were supposed to grow up and kiss girls ... it was a whole thing...

as a tf fan, I survived the death of the brand once...
as a motu fan.. what are we up to now, 6? 5? I think it's 5 deaths. The brand can't support itself at this point. just wrap it up and send it down the river like Boromir to meet GiJoe and gobots

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Why aren’t Transformers fans doing more to elevate Masters of the Universe. Beast Wars was created by Filmation Masters of the Universe writers Larry DiTillio and Bob Forward.

Per the Transformers Wiki:

Bob Forward is an American writer god. He and Larry DiTillio were the story editors of the Beast Wars television series.

Per Twitter:

Beast Wars' story editors had conflicting ideas on who the Vok were. Bob Forward imagined the Vok as the evolutionary endpoint of all sentient life in the universe. Larry DiTillio wanted to link the Vok to the Swarm from the G2 comic. Neither origin made it into the show.(1996-9)
This reminds me of when my parents used to question why I didn't like to eat tomatoes since I liked ketchup.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Filmation broke ground:

and reached it’s apex with He-man and She-ra: The Secret of the Sword, the best thing to come out of Filmation, the best thing they’ve ever done.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Why won’t Mattel make a deal with Universal to produce more Filmation He-man and She-ra cartoon episodes? The toys are at retail and they are united under the Masters of the Universe banner, which should have been the case from the very beginning. Universal owns the entirety of the Filmation Library. And I heard that Mattel needs to do something to keep MOTU Origins and Masterverse at retail. Why not go back to the only well and formula that has worked for them, Filmation? Dust off those Filmation animation cells and bring them out of moth balls, create new ones based on them, and start rotoscoping!

(cued to 5:10)

Blot

Citizen
You do realize animation cels were made to be disposable and are rarely, if ever, archived by the original animation studio due to sheer quantity of them?

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Because Transformers and He-Man aren't the same fandom.

There’s plenty of things for Transformers fans to like in Masters of the Universe. We basically have GoBots in the form of the Manchines and the Monstroids:

and Rock Lords or in this case Rock Warriors in the form of Stonedar, Rockon, and Granita:

(cued to 7:45)

You know what to do:

Masters of the Universe is on life support at retail. You need to unleash the power of the matrix and light their darkest hour. I know it has potential, lads.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
let-it-go-indiana-jones.gif

Spin-Out

i cant take it anymore im at my limit
Citizen
if they had been smart and put she-ra 2018 action figures in masterverse maybe they would be doing better bc they'd be selling toys based on a part of the franchise people other than Gen Xers care about, but nope.
catra nervous.png

Last edited:

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
You can tell Filmation put more budget into the animation for this episode:

(cued to 8:20)

The shadowing and extra detailed movements (eg. hair blowing in the wind) in this scene is breathtaking.

This was not the last episode of He-man but most fans like to consider this as the ending:

(cued to 16:50)

You can see the extra detailing and animation on He-man’s Power Sword. He also gave Cheetara a run for her money. And we get another one of those beautiful Filmation backgrounds at the very end.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Why won’t Mattel make a deal with Universal to produce more Filmation He-man and She-ra cartoon episodes? The toys are at retail and they are united under the Masters of the Universe banner, which should have been the case from the very beginning. Universal owns the entirety of the Filmation Library. And I heard that Mattel needs to do something to keep MOTU Origins and Masterverse at retail. Why not go back to the only well and formula that has worked for them, Filmation? Dust off those Filmation animation cells and bring them out of moth balls, create new ones based on them, and start rotoscoping!

(cued to 5:10)

Because it's not the '80s any more, and kids apparently aren't into naked musclemen with furry trousers.

You do realize animation cels were made to be disposable and are rarely, if ever, archived by the original animation studio due to sheer quantity of them?
Huh. I figured it was more likely they'd all been sold off, and were in the hands of various collectors scattered across the globe.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
This was the first real interaction between He-man and Adora, and one of the most beautiful moments between them:

(cued to 3:45)

and this was probably the last time He-man was the central hero character:

(cued to 13:45)

after this She-ra is Unchained and He-man fades into the background.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
This was a sweet move by Filmation He-man. I think his Power Sword has abilities that we still don’t know about:

(cued to 18:30)

Top Bottom