WFC Kingdom Appreciation Thread

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
What's amazing is that it's completely compatible with late 80's/early 90's home PC technology. You can reformat an aliens machine lifeforms brain using a Mac II or a 486.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
What's amazing is that it's completely compatible with late 80's/early 90's home PC technology. You can reformat an aliens machine lifeforms brain using a Mac II or a 486.

Well, it only makes sense. After all, Independence Day showed us that Apple products are compatible with a wide-range of alien operating systems.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
It's an interesting idea; someone should ask about it. Considering Mainframe the comic character/Action Master had almost nothing to do with the Ark it's certainly reasonable though. His original tech-spec says he's "A walking, talking computer terminal", so it could just be the obvious option, but the designers certainly enjoy slipping Easter eggs in when they can.

On a side note, his original tech-spec also says he has a "200,000 MB capacity"... so at 200 GB, it's less than most modern cell phones. 😄

If you think about it, the computer associated with the Ark is Teletraan-1, there's not any reason they couldn't have just called the figure that. Instead, they pulled a fairly obscure Action Master out of the vault and paired it with a ship it was never connected to before (and a new color scheme, as well.) Maybe the thought process was simply "this dude is supposed to turn into a computer, let's use it", but I think the Beast Wars connection (for the Titan released for the Beast Wars anniversary) is at least a plausible explanation for what appears to be a possible Easter egg reference. Might be a fun question to ask if the opportunity presents?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
And yet, the Netflix cartoon both ignored the Mainframe part of the toy altogether and simply treated the Ark's robot mode as if it was just Teletraan itself.

Glitch

Citizen
Mainframe was part of the Lost Light crew, he didn't do much beyond issue 34 and the mutineers arc but not enough to get recognised.

Also the theory for the apple mac being cross compatible with alien systems in ID4 was the tech being reverse engineered by the Roswell crash.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
So the ID4 aliens were just Ferengi employees? (Disclaimer: I have not seen that episode of DS9)

Echowarrior

Citizen
Does anyone else think that Hasbro might've missed out on an obvious Selects release with a G1 accurate Mainframe?

Seriously, I already have Ark!Mainframe, and I'd still get that mold in G1 colors. Especially if he came packed with some version of his little buddy.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I think the prevailing theory at the time was that a G1 colors version of Mainframe was inevitable, but since there's not even been a hint of one since, I wonder if it simply isn't an option to make one independent of the Ark?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Yeah, I think we would have gotten that by now. And since we haven't, it's very probable that the figure is simply gangmolded to the Ark.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, I think we would have gotten that by now. And since we haven't, it's very probable that the figure is simply gangmolded to the Ark.
Poor forward-thinking on that one, then.

Unless, I dunno, size/parts count meant it wouldn't make sense. I don't have one, so I'm not sure how it compares.

OTOH, how many times have we criticized something for being a certain way "for a <size class>"? Doesn't seem to stop them.

Glitch

Citizen
Animated Universe Mainframe and Theta Supreme for Selects.
Earth Wars transmetals Optimus Primal, Rhinox, Cheetor, Megatron, Blackarachia and Cheetor.
Obelisk Blackarachnia
Predacon Rhinox
Lazorbeak
Possibilities for Selects are endless.
Okay not endless but strong.

Last edited:

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
I think the prevailing theory at the time was that a G1 colors version of Mainframe was inevitable, but since there's not even been a hint of one since, I wonder if it simply isn't an option to make one independent of the Ark?
Poor forward-thinking on that one, then.

Unless, I dunno, size/parts count meant it wouldn't make sense. I don't have one, so I'm not sure how it compares.

OTOH, how many times have we criticized something for being a certain way "for a <size class>"? Doesn't seem to stop them.
I think Mainframe's altmodes being "a wall" and "a block" probably led them to believe he wouldn't be a hot seller on his own.

Top Bottom