Transformers Legacy toyline

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
TFW...caring about the feelings of others or holding any moral values?

Are you new to the hobby?
I know you're joking, but yeah, no.
I have several friends there, on staff and off. Let's not.

Back on topic. I hope we'll get more pics soon since these leaked. I'm very curious still about the super mode shoulders.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
They are the new Core Class Dinobots, yeah. Only Sludge and Slag have been released so far. I love 'em.
Okay, thank you. I was indifferent to them (since I already HAD the "full sized" toys from... potp? Seems right.) but now that I know they're combiners too: they're on my hunt list. I love the core class and core class combiners are my jam.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Eh, I'm just here for Dinoking to go with all the Japanese series call backs Hasbro's doing. A $75 Selects Dinoking is far more palatable than a $200+ "classical sized Dinoking" some here want.

I'll wait for better images, but Armada Prime is doing what I expect from a Legacy release. I like the design, but I'm on the fence to go a head and get him, or wait for a possible redeco. I liked the Final Battle deco for just being a bit different, but the Costco red/yellow has some appeal as well.

Last edited:

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
These pictures kinda turned me around on these guys.

Sludge looked so awful it turned me off on the whole concept of these guys, Slag was a little better but not enough to counter the Sludge factor and then Grimlock's dino mode looking terrible... I felt like that cemented me on skipping these.

But.

Swoop looks perfect and Scarr looks good and is a new-to-toys dinobot character and I kinda want them.

And wanting them is making me reconsider getting the others just to have the whole set.

ZacWilliam, although core class in general have been really hard to come by here so who knows which will even be an option.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
From what we can see I don't have any complaints about Armada Prime. It's still not that beautiful prototype we never saw again, but for Legacy they wanted something more faithful, and in Armada Prime's case that isn't a bad thing. The changes they came up with for that prototype looked good, but Armada Prime doesn't need help looking good.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Eh, I'm just here for Dinoking to go with all the Japanese series call backs Hasbro's doing. A $75 Selects Dinoking is far more palatable than a $200+ "classical sized Dinoking" some here want.
It wouldn't surprise me if we get an OSKO Dinoking in the future though. Legends class figures seem to be fairly consistent KO-fodder, even now, right?

Cybersnark

Citizen
I more or less grew up in a metalworking shop, so Slag has never meant anything else to me but the burnt metal residue that I had to sweep off of the floor. As such, it's a great name for a fire-breathing Dinobot.
I'm still mildly annoyed that ho one ever thought to rebrand him as Slæg.

It's the Old English verb for "to kill" --from which we get the modern words "slay" and "slake" (as in to slake one's thirst)

Perfect name for a Dinobot.

SeeveeRay

I'll get better someday, hopefully.
Citizen
We haven't seen Snarl, of course, but Volcanicus built without him looks... mostly fine. He looks fun, which matters most, I know. Though I don't like how his fists are going to face different directions. But I still can't get over how short the leg modes of Grimlock and (because they need to match) Snarl are. They're pretty much just big feet. Which is certainly a choice (a stable one), but one that gets in the way of what what I most wanted in this combiner. Which is getting a Dinoking that is 9 or 10 inches tall. But I'll get over it and enjoy this combiner for what it is rather than what it isn't, sure.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
One thing that's interesting and different about Dinoking/Monstructor is that the leg bots contribute the thighs. Every other combiner has the leg bots only contribute the knee and below.

Volcanicus does what every other combiner does, and suffers for it. The thighs could use some extra mass, and the rest of the leg would benefit from giving away that mass. Front views kinda obscure it, but...

good legs.jpg

Look how far back the knee is. This is not a good use of Grimlock's mass.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Honestly, I've always felt pretty "m'eh" about all that. Like, I do get that those words are offensive slang terms, but not in the country of origin of the figure. I'm not even sure if those are still popular terms over in THE UK or if they've become fairly old and removed from the popular culture. Someone more familiar with BRITISH English could let me know.
Considering Sl*g's "country of origin" was Japan and not the US, any English name for it could be irrelevant (Although Japan's and America's use of English terms have been called-out on the world stage for inappropriate content several times).

Regardless, the term IS offensive in several of the markets it was sold in, hence why it was changed.

(Btw, fixed your quote to include the correct name for the country you meant to refer to).

To answer your question about past and recent British use, as an 80's British kid in the UK, the term did mean both a derogatory term for women and molten metal but it is still offensive when used outside of metalwork or relating industries in the UK, as can be seen, or rather heard, in these rather colourful video clips featuring the NSFW term:

-

-

-

Last edited:

SeeveeRay

I'll get better someday, hopefully.
Citizen
One thing that's interesting and different about Dinoking/Monstructor is that the leg bots contribute the thighs. Every other combiner has the leg bots only contribute the knee and below.

Volcanicus does what every other combiner does, and suffers for it. The thighs could use some extra mass, and the rest of the leg would benefit from giving away that mass. Front views kinda obscure it, but...

(pictured clipped from this reply)

Look how far back the knee is. This is not a good use of Grimlock's mass.
The part that frustrates me is that BECAUSE Sludge is contributing the thighs, Grimlock and Snarl didn't HAVE to. That should in theory have allowed them to be proportionate lower legs because they didn't have to worry about being the thighs. It should have liberated them. And yet they use all their mass to just be big club feet. So the combiner ends up weirdly proportioned and several inches shorter than it could have been. Really would have been nice if Dinoking could have looked Star Saber in the face. But I repeat myself on that point...

Blot

Citizen
Considering Sl*g's "country of origin" was Japan and not the US, any English name for it could be irrelevant (Although Japan's and America's use of English terms have been called-out on the world stage for inappropriate content several times).
The character and identity of the toy was the US. The Diaclone Dinosaur Robo Triceratops toy originated from Japan, but it was not the Transformers character.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Armada Prime looks good. Curious to see how everything will work on him.
seems to be a lot of hurt feelings between the leakers and TFW. Wonder how this will effect more images coming out in the near future.
1677138456975.gif

???

Also, regarding Volcanicus, I can't help but look at the way that one piece forms the heel and wonder if it would look better if Grimlock was turned around. Sure, it might affect articulation, but...

Anonymous X

Citizen
Honestly, I've always felt pretty "m'eh" about all that. Like, I do get that those words are offensive slang terms, but not in the country of origin of the figure. I'm not even sure if those are still popular terms over in England, or if they've become fairly old and removed from the popular culture. Someone more familiar with British English could let me know.

I more or less grew up in a metalworking shop, so Slag has never meant anything else to me but the burnt metal residue that I had to sweep off of the floor. As such, it's a great name for a fire-breathing Dinobot. When a word has multiple meanings, and the user of the word so clearly and obviously is using it in the inoffensive, actual-definition-of-the-word sense, it feels like you almost have to be trying to be offended because the word also has a more obscure but offensive slang connotation in another country.

That said, though, it doesn't bother me at all when Hasbro puts "Slug" on the package. I don't generally keep packaging anyway, so it could say Rock Strongo or Princess Ponyweather III for all I care. He'll be Slag to me.
It’s still considered a four-letter word over here, not an obscure term at all, and you wouldn’t call a female colleague that word unless you wanted to lose your job. It’s pretty obvious why the character’s legacy name has been changed – no different to when that Power Core Combiners figure “Spastic” was renamed before release (in British terms that was like giving a Transformer character the name “******”). Call it critical research failure on behalf of whoever named Slag back in the ‘80s, but I don’t really blame American writers back in the pre-internet age for not being experts in British English.

GodSentinelOmega

The Omega Knight Returns!
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Superbase_ArmadaPrime.jpg

It wasn't really anything to write home about, but given it had to be a trailer, base and a pair of pants AND incorporate an auto-transforming gimmick, it's not surprising the base mode is kinda forgettable.

Hopefully they can do something good now that they don't have to account for a bunch of motors and a bigass battery pack. The legs look worlds better at least.

Agreed. It was more ‘here’s a combat deck…kindof’ thing to put Minicons on. I’d be willing to bet they might make it unfold into a base ish, though primarily they’ll focus on ‘pants mode’ with legs that move.

How Prime turns out will show us if are planning on Jetfire and Overload.

Yeah, over here, slag is still an insult as well as molten metal. Which is awkward. Though I don’t know how bad it still is. Although, it was used As an insult while being Slags name and an insult in Transformers.

Last edited:

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

Regardless, the term IS offensive in several of the markets it was sold in, hence why it was changed.

It’s still considered a four-letter word over here, not an obscure term at all, and you wouldn’t call a female colleague that word unless you wanted to lose your job. It’s pretty obvious why the character’s legacy name has been changed – no different to when that Power Core Combiners figure “Spastic” was renamed before release (in British terms that was like giving a Transformer character the name “******”). Call it critical research failure on behalf of whoever named Slag back in the ‘80s, but I don’t really blame American writers back in the pre-internet age for not being experts in British English.

And I guess that's all why I feel pretty "m'eh". Essentially, it doesn't bother me that he was originally called that, but I have no major beef with the change if it makes things easier in the international market.

Now all we need are some new Dinobots called "Sc*nk", "Sl*t", "Sh*g" (the verb, but it's topical), "Scr*bber" and "Str*mpet".

I'll be honest, I still have no idea what the two bolded ones are. Clearly whatever those words are didn't come over to the US in any capacity that I recognize, which I guess goes to show how easy it is to accidentally apply a internationally offensive name. Likewise "Slapper" would never have raised any alarm bells for me. If anything, "Slaps" and related words has recently come to mean "Extremely Good" here in the US.

Top Bottom