Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
*Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney reunite with All-Stars as The Beatles*

*The Beatles get trounced on PPV by Trump's execution 2 to 1*

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
In related news: truth social is refusing to pay for its digital infrastructure.

So, let's recap: used free software illegally, fundraised for billions, and now they aren't paying server fees. Such a class ******* act.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
The significant majority of his supporters, realistically.
I was less thinking of the brainwashed cult than the public figures along the lines of Ted Cruz and so on. The cult will support him no matter what, but high ranking public figures are usually only supporting Trump to further their own standing. If they see Trump is now at the "committing treason in an attempt to avoid prison" stage, will they still stand by him?

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
FB friend:

The plot of Mission Impossible (1996) was all about someone trying to steal a top-secret list of intelligence agents. Tom Cruise had to crawl through an air duct, drop through a laser-grid, and hang from the ceiling in a temperature-controlled super-sensitive facility to get those files. And for this, he became the most wanted man in the world, with the full resources of the CIA engaged in a global manhunt to track him down.

In 2021, Donald Trump did the same thing by simply walking out of the White House with boxes of documents. And then the government politely asked him to give them back, whereupon he just ... chose not to. And his supporters actually think it was wrong for the government to come in and take them by force.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I will say, even with my faith in humanity at its most withered state, if Trump actually flees the country under explicit threat of arrest for federal crimes and tries to still run for president from Argentina or whatever, I do expect the Republican Party leadership will draw a hard line there and refuse to let him. Whether by most states blocking him from even being on the primary ballot, or the convention refusing to count his votes, or both. And that's assuming it's even up to them in the first place; there might be actual laws in place preventing him from being on the ballot at that point.

KidTDragon

Now with hi-res avatar!
Citizen
I will say, even with my faith in humanity at its most withered state, if Trump actually flees the country under explicit threat of arrest for federal crimes and tries to still run for president from Argentina or whatever, I do expect the Republican Party leadership will draw a hard line there and refuse to let him. Whether by most states blocking him from even being on the primary ballot, or the convention refusing to count his votes, or both. And that's assuming it's even up to them in the first place; there might be actual laws in place preventing him from being on the ballot at that point.
I wish I had your optimism.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
XxKXZhg.jpeg

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
All I'm saying is Bill Barr, before getting the hell out of the firing lane, reinstated Federal Executions.

Pale Rider

Citizen
I've always wondered why the Democrats don't hire comedy writers to punch up their speeches and social media posts with sick burns. Just look at their output on late night talk shows.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Probably because those comedians are too busy actually informing the population about whats going on.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Probably because those comedians are too busy actually informing the population about whats going on.
As he keeps saying, no-one was more surprised than Jon Stewart to find out he somehow became the Most Trusted Name In News during the Bush-the-Lesser maladministration.

He didn't exactly view it as a good thing, either.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
And rightly so. When you're satirists are considered a better news sources than your journalists, you have a MAJOR problem.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It wasn't a good thing, and I think it's had some unhealthy effects long term. He did comedy. The depth of information you got on any topic wasn't great. His advantage over actual news shows was that comedy is rapid, so he at least touched lot of topics per episode, and he wasn't afraid to name names. If you watched his show, you probably could have named more politicians than someone who only watched FOX or CNN. He didn't get distracted by the presidency. He would roast some congressman if they needed it. That was good. But it didn't make you an expert on complicated issues.

But it wasn't his job. He made a point of going on news shows, and inviting news hosts to his show, to literally beg them to do their jobs. They obviously didn't listen.

Pale Rider

Citizen
FB friend:

When you see people on FOXNews saying that it's not illegal when the president does it, one wonders if the last half-century of Republican policy has been one long campaign to make sure that the next time the GOP pulled a Nixon, they would get away with it.

Top Bottom