Traitor Watch - The 45 Thread

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Depending on what was in those files: he might very well have compromised the intelligence and national security agents of literally everyone of the US's intelligence allies. Canada, the UK, australia... countries I wouldn't even think to participate in such stuff.

Trump not only needs to face trial and punishment in the US, he then needs to go on to face trials for high crimes in every other nation he compromised.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Like our best case scenario is that the meglomaniac just thought it would be really cool to have a bunch of empty classified folders to show off and never took the actual files. Which must have been a pain in the ass to clean up for the government. But wouldn't be the end of the world.

The more likely scenario where all those secrets are in the wind is absolutely terrifying.

Ironbite4

Citizen
Remember that last year, CIA sent a cable to it's offices warning them of informants disappearing. If Trump had anything to do with that....

Xaaron

Citizen
Man, it's almost like insisting the DOJ speak louder and longer about his crimes is backfiring somehow.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Whatever was in those folders, if anything, could be out in the wild or could still be in his possession. It's kinda odd that they only searched one of his properties.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
They're fairly obviously buried in his wife's coffin.

But the easiest way to get access to all of that is to arrest and charge his ass already.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
This story is honestly bewildering to me. Mainly because I can't work out why Trump was holding on to the empty folders if he had sold or got rid of the documents. Anything seems plausible from "Trump sold the documents to the Russians but kept the folders because he is just that dumb" to "Trump honestly thought he was doing the right thing and had just removed the documents from the folder and has them in a desk drawer somewhere."

Also surprised that they have apparently not searched any of his other properties?

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Or he grabbed empty folders thinking they still had documents in them. Never underestimate the possibility that a septuagenarian grifter doesn't quite have the skills he once had.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
...Something just hit me. We've been talking about this as if foreign governments are the only ones who could get any use out of the intel he had. But Trump has other allies who wouldn't hesitate to use force against the US. Ones who live and operate within our own borders. The same kind of people who stormed the Capitol. And he's spent way more time around them since he left office than he's spent overseas.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Yeah, and when you openly advocate overthrowing a legitimate government for fascism, killing minorities, and imprisoning (at best.) political opponents: it's still treason even if they are citizens. While the revelation is valid (gonna be frank: it did not occur to me, but I was still seething over the fact he might have compromised canadian security.) the only thing that really changes there is the shipping charges.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Oh God, those empty folders sent a chill down my spine. Where are the files? Did Vlad already get them?
The National Archives already reported that they had received numerous classified documents that lacked those sorts of folder covers. It'll probably take months, maybe even years, to collate the material to discover what MIGHT have been lost or leaked.

Not saying this isn't a MASSIVE issue, just trying to...mitigate some concerns, at least to some degree.

This "record keeping snafu" is, ALONE, enough to arrest the man. The fact this is part of wider investigation is the frightening part.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
While the revelation is valid (gonna be frank: it did not occur to me, but I was still seething over the fact he might have compromised canadian security.) the only thing that really changes there is the shipping charges.
It changes one big thing: If it is some major foreign power like Russia, there's pretty much shit-all we can do about whatever they're plotting to do. But people inside the US are under the jurisdiction of the DOJ and the FBI. They would be able to follow the chain of suspects as far as it might lead without ever overstepping their authority, and whoever it leads to can be arrested and tried like a common criminal.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
Jared Kushner, the man every Intelligence agency in the nation screamed from the rooftops should never have access to a security clearance, got that security clearance and he and his wife proceeded to seemingly do "nothing" for four years.

He also recently cleared a $2 billion check from the Saudis.

But I'm sure that was unrelated.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
It changes one big thing: If it is some major foreign power like Russia, there's pretty much shit-all we can do about whatever they're plotting to do. But people inside the US are under the jurisdiction of the DOJ and the FBI. They would be able to follow the chain of suspects as far as it might lead without ever overstepping their authority, and whoever it leads to can be arrested and tried like a common criminal.
Oh, there's plenty that can be done if a foreign nation has those papers. Once they know who and what was in them: they can change protocols and personel to attempt to restore some level of protection.

If they were handed to some dumb assed redneck: there is no limit to where that information has gone. Believe it or not, an american not affiliated with a government is the worst case scenario.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Jared Kushner, the man every Intelligence agency in the nation screamed from the rooftops should never have access to a security clearance, got that security clearance and he and his wife proceeded to seemingly do "nothing" for four years.

He also recently cleared a $2 billion check from the Saudis.

But I'm sure that was unrelated.
It’s the quiet, weasel, types you should watch the closest. Not the blow hard grabbing everyone’s attention…

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Steve Bannon in possession of the nations most sensitive secrets.

*vomits*

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's still a desperate gambit - I highly doubt a retired prosecutor will be all that lenient towards him. Lot of trouble to go through to get some keepsake news articles back.

Top Bottom