Timey Wimey Business- a thread for Doctor Who

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
From what I recall reading; his plans is to fill the gaps with Spin-off series, that was there's a consistent stream of episode throughout the year. So you get 8 eps of DW, 8 eps of likely UNIT, maybe 8 eps of a 3rd thing this episode certainly planted enough seeds. Or maybe we'll see a new Torchwood series; would be nice to get maybe some closure on that. Even if it's a one-off. I'm also kinda hoping maybe we might see some SJA stuff trickle over, since that UK only series brought Clyde back for some of the flashbacks. I'd like to see him and Luke again, espically since they brought up Sarah Jane's death in passing here. I'd be nice to know how Luke's doing and handling his mother's passing.

I'd certainly like to find out what happened with Jenny.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
That new sonic screwdriver looks more sonic and less screwdriver now, but given all it does these days, I suppose it makes sense it looks more gizmo-y than screwdriver-y. Have to see if it grows on me I guess. Definitely more toyetic though, and the inscription is a nice touch.

Echowarrior

Citizen
I'll be frankly surprised if anyone remembers she exists. But yes, I'd like to see her show up again as well.
Big Finish remembers her.

And as for more Torchwood...I dunno. I mean, even if John Barrowman wasn't in trouble for being a little too eager to show off his family jewels, that series ended on a rather dismal note.

Shadewing

Citizen
Big Finish remembers her.

And as for more Torchwood...I dunno. I mean, even if John Barrowman wasn't in trouble for being a little too eager to show off his family jewels, that series ended on a rather dismal note.

That series ending on a dismal note is kinda why I'd like to see it resolved, though I do get the issues with Barrowman atm.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
From what I recall reading; his plans is to fill the gaps with Spin-off series, that was there's a consistent stream of episode throughout the year. So you get 8 eps of DW, 8 eps of likely UNIT, maybe 8 eps of a 3rd thing this episode certainly planted enough seeds. Or maybe we'll see a new Torchwood series; would be nice to get maybe some closure on that. Even if it's a one-off. I'm also kinda hoping maybe we might see some SJA stuff trickle over, since that UK only series brought Clyde back for some of the flashbacks. I'd like to see him and Luke again, espically since they brought up Sarah Jane's death in passing here. I'd be nice to know how Luke's doing and handling his mother's passing.
The actor who played Luke really isn't in the business, anymore. I don't see him coming back to acting on any kind of a permanent basis. Maybe a one-off, at best.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
I'll be frankly surprised if anyone remembers she exists. But yes, I'd like to see her show up again as well.
More people likely to remember she exists than The Toymaker so... but yes. Its unlikely to see her. I guess if we get more tennant maaaaybe? But she felt like spin off bait that never got made. But if they wanted to given shes family it wouldn't be hard to get her back on board I imagine.

Shadewing

Citizen
Idle thought that continues to stick with me:

During the "Grand presentation" of post Donna companions that died; I don't agree with his sarcasm over Amy's death. Amy chose her fate, and sure all three of them did, but her end was an actual happy ending for her and Rory. Sure she could never see the Doctor again, but she had a long and full life with her husband and iirc kids. While she still died before she was born, technically, she had more or less a rich full life. It's not like Clara who is cheating death as much as possible to have timey wimey adventures, or Bill who is just an conciousness with her celestial girlfriend. Amy was completely herself and had a normal life in the time period she was stuck in and she deliberately chose to be taken by the Angels then lose Rory a second time. So yes, that is "Alright then".

Echowarrior

Citizen
Idle thought that continues to stick with me:

During the "Grand presentation" of post Donna companions that died; I don't agree with his sarcasm over Amy's death. Amy chose her fate, and sure all three of them did, but her end was an actual happy ending for her and Rory. Sure she could never see the Doctor again, but she had a long and full life with her husband and iirc kids. While she still died before she was born, technically, she had more or less a rich full life. It's not like Clara who is cheating death as much as possible to have timey wimey adventures, or Bill who is just an conciousness with her celestial girlfriend. Amy was completely herself and had a normal life in the time period she was stuck in and she deliberately chose to be taken by the Angels then lose Rory a second time. So yes, that is "Alright then".

It's not about how Amy died. It's about the Toymaker pressing the Doctor's guilt button.

Yes, Amy chose to let the Angels take her, and she did go back to be with Rory. The two of them did live a long and happy life together and adopted at least one kid. But would that fate had befallen them if they had crossed paths with the Doctor? Given the Doctor seems to be very anti-fate, anti-destiny and pro-free will, he/she seems to have taken the view that if he/she hadn't crossed paths with them, then they wouldn't have ended up the way they did, or suffered any other bit of trauma they experienced. It's pretty much the same with Clara (who subjected herself to the Raven because she believed it was what the Doctor would've done and acted with incomplete information) and Bill (who was in the position she was in when she was converted into a Cyberman due to traveling with the Doctor and circumstances being against them). In the Doctor's mind, all three died under his/her watch, which makes it his/her fault.

Think of it this way. You have a cop. They have a civilian with them as a ride-along. Something happens, and despite the cop's best efforts, the civilian is injured or killed. The Doctor is the cop here, and Amy/Clara/Bill is the civilian ride-along. There's gonna be guilt there no matter what, and the Doctor's built up a lot of guilt over his/her lifetimes. That's also one of the points that this story has made - the Fourteenth Doctor needs to take a step back, rest a bit, heal and recover.

This actually makes me really glad that RTD is back. He's taken something established from a previous showrunner - Chibnall's Companion Support Group - and given new life to it. As it stands, it's not just a support group for former companions now, or an easy recruiting tool for UNIT...it's a support group for Fourteen too. Like Sarah Jane said, he's got the biggest family in the universe...and now, they're there for the Doctor in a way they've never been before.

wentwood

Citizen
I saw the specials on Daily Motion.

The Wild Blue Yonder made me think of the Red Dwarf XI episode Can Of Worms with the Polymorph doubles if anybody had had a chance to see it.

Glitch

Citizen
Toymaker to the Doctor: "I made a jigsaw out of your history, do you like it?"
Take that Moffat and Chimball with your Clara under the bed guff.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen

Welp there it is, no plans for a 14th Doctor's Earthbound Adventures or whatever spin-off.

Do I think that this means that Tennant will never ever return? Of course not, but the end of The Giggle was not hinting at a spin-off focusing on 14 and Donna and her family.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Have to admit, I'd always kind of thought Chris Eccleston was kind of petty for never seeming to want to return for a special or whatever over the years, but thanks to this article I've gained a great deal more respect for him, and much less for RTD and his "team". It seems things got quite toxic on set during the first series. I've known RTD was kind of condescending and arrogant for a while; (not like it's hard to see on his social media), but I didn't realize how bad it must've been for the S1 cast.

I almost spit out my drink when I watched the video in the article and heard his big "ask" for returning as the 9th Doctor.

Nice to see Billie in the interview; she's still looking great.

LiamA

Citizen
Why did the Toymaker have a German accent? Won't be equate a German accent with evil?

Top Bottom