Timey Wimey Business- a thread for Doctor Who

Echowarrior

Citizen
Why did the Toymaker have a German accent? Won't be equate a German accent with evil?
One theory I've seen online is that it's part of an attempt to avoid repeating mistakes from the last time he crossed swords with the Doctor. That last encounter ended with the Doctor imitating the Toymaker's voice to win the Tri-Logic game. Speaking with a German accent (or French, or British RP, or Vaguely-Southern-American) helps to avoid that happening again.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
It's perhaps worth noticing that the episode itself even lampshaded that the Toymaker's accent slipped from time to time.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
So unless that's supposed to just be a series of for fun 4th wall breaks then Ruby's old neighbor is not what she seems. Like yes she seemed initially surprised about the Tardis disappearing but then suddenly seems very aware of stuff after he gets back. Then again for all I know there is a wikipedia article about the doctor she looked up while he was gone *Shrug*

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Just watched the 4th special and it was nice (apart from the ruddy Yank date system used for December...).

For this unfamiliar with British culture, the famous British celeb featured in this episode has some info here.

Also, for those that have seen the 2023 Chrimbo special...

And in other things Who...

Last edited:

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Only saw third special now. Saw specials one and two before.

I dunno the past of the Toymaker but his abilities were kinda wasted. So much power and possibility but they didn't go crazy enough with it. Didn't warp reality enough for my liking. The musical was the craziest showcase. But I guess it's budget?

Edit - saw the fourth special. I hate that I love that the new Doctor is an inventor. I hope they keep that up. Also, totally Labyrinth, haha

Last edited:

LiamA

Citizen
Just discovered today that the streaming site Tubi has the Classic Doctor Who episodes. Sadly they don't seem to have them all because the First Doctor starts with the Daleks story.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
To be fair, not even the BBC has all the episodes.
The archival story isn't quite correct, at least not according to the "25 Glorious Years" commemorative book from 1988.

Apparently there was an archival system in place, complete with a ranking system lettered A through J (where A stood for "prestige television to be kept perpetually"). Pre-1970 Doctor Who (the Hartnell and Troughton eras) had a C rank -- "retain selected episodes for posterity".

In 1972, the BBC archives were declared a fire hazard, necessitating a purge. And while selected pre-1970 episodes were retained, there really wasn't any rhyme or reason to the selection.

As an aside, the Monty Python troupe didn't believe that their material would rate on the archival ranking system at all, and made arrangements to store their master reels offsite. We almost certainly would have lost the first series of the Flying Circus if they hadn't....

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
The archival story isn't quite correct, at least not according to the "25 Glorious Years" commemorative book from 1988.

Apparently there was an archival system in place, complete with a ranking system lettered A through J (where A stood for "prestige television to be kept perpetually"). Pre-1970 Doctor Who (the Hartnell and Troughton eras) had a C rank -- "retain selected episodes for posterity".

In 1972, the BBC archives were declared a fire hazard, necessitating a purge. And while selected pre-1970 episodes were retained, there really wasn't any rhyme or reason to the selection.

As an aside, the Monty Python troupe didn't believe that their material would rate on the archival ranking system at all, and made arrangements to store their master reels offsite. We almost certainly would have lost the first series of the Flying Circus if they hadn't....
Thanks for the update!

I wanted to find a cool YouTube video about how a woman at the BBC fought to preserve some of the Doctor Who episodes, but along the way, I found these videos below.

Shadewing

Citizen
So today I got a large box of comics for free, and in it was just ONE Doctor Who comic, and I'm kinda giddy at which one it was.

IMG_20231227_161836310.jpg

The comic, or one of them at least, that inspired the first Anniversary special.

Dvandom

Citizen
I only have the previous issue. At one time I had the first dozen, but I guess they didn't survive a purge (or I loaned them to someone and never got 'em back).

---Dave

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
To be fair, not even the BBC has all the episodes.

And in the case of the very first story, there's a dispute going on between the BBC and the son of the credited writer.
Besides the episodes that are still missing entirely (or, at least, stories that are incomplete for that reason), are there any other stories besides that first serial not currently on the streaming services? I know about the dispute Echowarrior's talking about, but I'm not aware of any other such issues.

Echowarrior

Citizen
Besides the episodes that are still missing entirely (or, at least, stories that are incomplete for that reason), are there any other stories besides that first serial not currently on the streaming services? I know about the dispute Echowarrior's talking about, but I'm not aware of any other such issues.

Not to my knowledge. And I'd be shocked if the animated reconstructions aren't available on the BBC's iPlayer.

In any case, things like this are another reason why I'm physical media is still a thing. You can still buy DVD copies of "An Unearthly Child" with little difficulty. I'm not saying that streaming services aren't nice, but it's good to have options.

LiamA

Citizen
Tubi doesn't have 'The Tenth Planet' and 'The Reign of Terror'. I'm not sure what else is missing from Hartnell's time.

Top Bottom