Timey Wimey Business- a thread for Doctor Who

wentwood

Citizen
This includes the 60th and Christmas special in the count why I listed it as 05 for Space Babies.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
Surprised nobody is talking about the new episodes. Then again I didn't even realize they were airing yet until I saw something for Devils Chord yesterday.

thoughts below.

So uhh.. yeah those were a couple of episodes huh?

Space Babies had an interesting idea of how to take the "care only about forcing babies to be born not caring about taking care of them" argument and make it into a silly scifi episode. The problem is that.. well they kind of undercut any cleverness by straight up telling you that's what the story was about and then kind of undermined the whole thing with... giant monster made of snot and farts saving the day. As an opener for the new season and new era of Dr Who it really set a weird tone. Also not sure how they plan on stopping the giant fart powered space station once it gets to its destination. Seems like a bad end for the babies really.

The Devils Chord.

Jinkx really took whole bites out the scenery and kept on chewing. Not in a bad way really. It usually worked out well but man it was a big swing. Interesting episode overall. I'm not... 100% sure on the lasting ramifications there would be of 3 decades of music being deleted from the timeline. But Dr Who really.. almost never cares about the ripple effects until they decide to do so.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Its a case of nobody knew they were airring and the ratings are showing that they aren't very good so the show is loosing its audience in general.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Its a case of nobody knew they were airring and the ratings are showing that they aren't very good so the show is loosing its audience in general.
Kinda hard to miss Disney + blaring it everywhere that it's on their platform. If anything the when has been the biggest mystery. But overall I had fun with the episodes myself. The first episode was a fun and silly way to get the ball rolling, while the second seems to be pushing the new big bad(s?). Can't say they were great but it's been a decent tonal shift back to some of the more sillier aspects of the modern era.

Echowarrior

Citizen
The only reason I haven't watched the new episodes yet is because work has been taking up all of my time. I look forward to watching them very much, in fact.

Shadewing

Citizen
For me Space Babies was kinda Meh. Overall it just feels exactly like what you'd expect to see from "Disney Who". Its not a bad episode, but its not a good one either and it just feels very... safe and santized and everything resolves just way to neatly to the point it kinda doesn't make sense. Its got its good moments, but I really don't feel like this is an episode that should start a season, and I feel that's probably why we got two episodes.

The Devil's Chord however is largely exactly what I like Doctor Who for, we get a very interesting plot and a very fun over the top villian. It doesn't have to be a big threat, but for me part of DW's charm is how campy it can be while still being serious; and this episode gets that. I enjoyed how they played with music and diegetic in the episode. It just makes Maestro feel even more powerful when she effecting the diegetic music and sounds of the show as well. The only part I really didn't care for was the random dance party ending.

Looking forward to next week's episode to see Moffat's contribution to this season.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Space Babies felt like an average early modern Who episode that was moving just a hair too fast and didn't get quite enough space for everything to gel as well as it could have. Not bad, good concepts and outline, just not 100% cohesive. Needed tightening up. But a fun enough effort.

The Devil's Chord was spectacular. Great story. Great character moments. Cool hints to future stuff and a Villain that absolutely murdered the assignment.

-ZacWilliam, I'm very curious what's with Ruby and her coincidences, who the eldest is, and who is the one who waits.

Dvandom

Citizen
US viewers would know it as the Boogeyman (or Boogieman, Boogyman, etc) just pronounced Boo rather than Boh. And booger is the usual US term, not too far from bogy.

For an extended booger and fart joke episode, they sure crammed in a lot of political allegory. I caught two quite easily, although I later found out that adoption is still considered somewhat suspect in the UK, making the whole season an extended pro-adoption allegory.

---Dave

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
US viewers would know it as the Boogeyman (or Boogieman, Boogyman, etc) just pronounced Boo rather than Boh. And booger is the usual US term, not too far from bogy.

For an extended booger and fart joke episode, they sure crammed in a lot of political allegory. I caught two quite easily, although I later found out that adoption is still considered somewhat suspect in the UK, making the whole season an extended pro-adoption allegory.

---Dave
I've never heard that adoption is "suspect in the UK".

Dvandom

Citizen
This is something that came up in a Doctor Who thread elsewhere the other day (Tumblr, IIRC), someone in the UK brought it up (and also used portrayal of adoptive families in other UK media for examples).

---Dave

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
This is something that came up in a Doctor Who thread elsewhere the other day (Tumblr, IIRC), someone in the UK brought it up (and also used portrayal of adoptive families in other UK media for examples).

---Dave
I'm not sure what those issues are, but I've done a quick online search and found some articles, which I'll post behind spoilers as they're off-topic.

However, I haven't found any evidence of any cultural bias or stigma towards adoption (or any that is more than most other countries). The problems seem to be more financial or due to red tape more than anything else?

Echowarrior

Citizen
I'd argue that red tape and financial issues are likely the bigger obstacles towards adoption than any sort of cultural bias or stigma. I'd also argue that someone being against a child finding themselves in a loving home really needs to think things through.

Top Bottom