The Toku Thread

DefaultOption

Sourball
Citizen
x68k3vmfavoa1.jpg

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
They have been for a while. I know some of the movies were, and both of the last Ultra Galaxy Fight entries were fully dubbed too.

Ironbite4

Citizen
Kamen Rider/Super Sentai: So is there any interest in these two properties in the West? I mean I know we've got Power Rangers but what about the original properties? Is it even worth exploring?

Ultraman: HERE'S ANOTHER SERIES SUBBED/DUBBED IN ENGLISH FOR YOU GUYS IN THE WEST! AND IT'S ON YOUTUBE! HAVE FUN!

Ironbite-god I hate Toei sometimes.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
Toei: STOP FANSUBBING OUR STUFF!

Fans: Will you bring it to the west.

Toei: We'll do everything possible to make it as hard as possible to get the blu-rays and make sure the toys arn't actually on shelves!

Toei: No demand for Kamen Rider in the west!

Plutoniumboss

Citizen
I am now about a third of the way through Super-1. The basic premise is, it's a kung-fu "my style is stronger than your style!" show in sci-fi clothes. Ain't the worst so far, it's passable. The costume is okay, but the glove tassels are a bit much even for 1980. I think I'm into Oki Kazuya as a Rider. He might not have the panache of Kazami Shiro or Jo Shigeru, but he's got something.

Also, the theme songs continue to get worse with every show. I mean, I'm not asking for a masterpiece, just a little bit of effort. Fortunately I'm told it soon gets better.

Last edited:

Paladin

Citizen

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
That is both impressive and nightmare fuel at the same time. Just needs a sign to hold that reads "Help Us!"

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
ANy particular reason why? The only real issue I had with Shin Ultraman besides missing the Color Timer(which was done on purpose as the original concept for Ultraman didn't include it) was the pacing made it feel like a bunch of episodes all running back-to-back rather than a singular story - and that may have been on purpose as well.

As for Shin KR, that's already out if you want to check out reviews. I'm holding off until I can see it, so all I know is apparently it focuses only on the kaijin that were around during the initial Hongo episodes, before #2 showed up.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
ANy particular reason why? The only real issue I had with Shin Ultraman besides missing the Color Timer(which was done on purpose as the original concept for Ultraman didn't include it) was the pacing made it feel like a bunch of episodes all running back-to-back rather than a singular story - and that may have been on purpose as well.

As for Shin KR, that's already out if you want to check out reviews. I'm holding off until I can see it, so all I know is apparently it focuses only on the kaijin that were around during the initial Hongo episodes, before #2 showed up.

Honestly.. Shin Ultraman felt like it was trying to be too "Adult" and thus lost out of what made Ultraman feel like Ultraman.

The strange necessity of explaining how Ultraman fired beams or flew felt overly forced, and the team did not feel like a team. Say what you want about Ultraman, but a lot of times that's a pretty core part of it.

Say what you want about Michael Bay transformers movies but the Autobots knew how to have "Fun" (Whether it was good or not is another debate), there didn't seem to be any fun in Ultraman. Almost as if the entire movie was kinda afraid of the cheese from the show.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
The original series was very much Twilight Zone with a giant superhero in tone, so that's what they played off. With this Anno was going back to the original concepts, not working form a modern Ultra standpoint. As for the team, that's not too unusual. While the original team gelled pretty well, Ultraseven's team form what I recall was pretty fractured and nondescript, with most of the focus on Moroboshi, while the original series didn't give much characterization to Hayate in trade for building out the team.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
...Gotchard?

Why does that make me think of a philosopher? Or a young genius's robot dog?

*Looks around online* OH...it could be "Gacha" and "Card"...so...they're bringing microtransactions and loot boxes into Kamen Rider? Oh, no!

It's been a while since Kamen Rider did cards as it's gimmick, if that is where they're going.

Last edited:

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
...Gotchard?

Why does that make me think of a philosopher? Or a young genius's robot dog?

*Looks around online* OH...it could be "Gacha" and "Card"...so...they're bringing microtransactions and loot boxes into Kamen Rider? Oh, no!

It's been a while since Kamen Rider did cards as it's gimmick, if that is where they're going.

I mean.. They just did Kamen Rider Fortnite! :D

Top Bottom