The Toku Thread

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Depends on if you're looking for groups or just for a place to get them. If you're looking for places to acquire, Nyaa is still the catchall place to find them; at least for Sentai, Rider, and less popular franchises.
For Ultraman, just go check the Ultraman Official youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@ULTRAMAN_OFFICIAL
Legend Heroes is also on youtube, and I still think that's a good watch: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8lZeURETyi1ITXZX1_x35-TTNnMRCZwn - It's Korean, based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms, but set up like Ryuki in concept.

As for groups, I'd recommend anything from Over-Time, Excite, and Izusubs, which should cover current series and a bunch of older ones too.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Tubi also has a bunch of series for streaming via licensing I've heard - thought about it after I'd posted the earlier remarks. Just not sure what series that covers.

Plutoniumboss

Citizen
So I finished watching Gridman and started watching Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad, and I'm not sure which broke me more, the scene in Gridman where the hero's mother gets corrupted and chases his little brother around the house in dominatrix gear, or the episode of SSSS where one of the hero's friends falls in love with a teacher and it may or may not be reciprocated. Did I just forget the 90's out of mental self-preservation?

Paladin

Citizen
The Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger!

Attachments

• Ohsama Sentai KingOhger.jpg
    Ohsama Sentai KingOhger.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 69

wentwood

Citizen
Shout Factory releases Deka on DVD on February 14 2023. I should be done with Aba by then. (23 of 50) Pre order placed already for it. Deka was a cool series. From Shout watching Galaxy Man - Aba.

As for the Rider shows I would love to see them start to finish.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
*Squints* Is the mech supposed to look like it has a beard? It looks cool, if that's actually what it is and not just a strange angle.

Some spoilers from Tokunation about the plot:
King-Ohger is described in early promotional materials as “A theme of Insects & Mechanics & Fantasy- Insect Warriors with kingly temperament!” The insect theme is detailed with each Ranger seen-

*Red is KuwagaOhger a stag beetle
*Blue is TonboOhger a dragonfly
*Yellow is KamiririOhger a mantis
*Purple is PapillionOhger a butterfly
*Black is HachiOhger a wasp

The insect theme also carries through to the Mecha, seen in the background. Based on preliminary toy listings we will have MULTIPLE add-on Mecha for this season-including a rumored TEN PIECE combo for the first quarter alone.

Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger is the story of five Rulers who unite from across their kingdoms to defeat the Earth Empire Bugnarok.

*KuwagaOhger comes from the nation home to the guardian deities Shogodam- which will be the source of the series’ Mecha.
*TonboOhger hails from a civilization of great technology
*KamakiriOhger is the Queen of a land specializing in arts & medicine
*PapillionOhger represents a world of ice and snow
*HachiOhger leads a land of agriculture

With the power of the Ohger Caliber and the Kings Weapon shield, the five Rulers become the Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger!

This new Super Sentai will be directed by Kazuya Kamihoriuchi a veteran of multiple Kamen Rider projects. Writing the series is Minato Takano who wrote several special episodes for Kamen Rider Ex-Aid and Kamen Rider Zero-One. Former suit actor Jun Watanabe will serve as the series’ action director.

I'll admit, I didn't catch them being bug-themed at first, since it's only really apparent in the visors. But, I do like what I'm seeing of the suits.

And I like that this sounds like this is going to be in a fantasy world. That could be really neat if they do it right.

And it sounds like they got a good writer, since they've done some episodes of Ex-Aid and Zero-One.

I just wonder how this works into that multi-year plan they apparently had for Sentai. I think this is supposed to still be connected to Zenkaiger and Donbrothers, somehow, right?

And how many Dunbine references will we be getting in this?

wentwood

Citizen
Earth Squadron 5 Man

I started this VIA Shout Factory DVD today.

5 Man did a 180 on me.

It turned out to be a strong series and had a good story to back it up.

People have hated 5 Man for some reason.

Last edited:

wentwood

Citizen
I got on FB to tell Deka Pink they were getting an actual US DVD release VIA Shout Factory in February.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Is anyone keeping up with Ultraman Decker? For some reason I checked out early on with Trigger, but Decker managed to hook me in. They're pretty close to the final episodes now, so I was wondering what others' thoughts were?

Also, on the DVD front, I've been binging Ultraman Nexus. It's a lot different from the usual Ultraman fare. Some of the stuff they did, plot-wise, is just...wow.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Yeah, Nexus was a very different show that got screwed by its scheduling - it was meant to be a evening family program, but got moved to the kids morning timeslot after it was already in production. It was also meant to kick off a new era like New Generation did, but that fell through after the ratings died due to the scheduling mismanagement, which is why they went back to the original formula for Max. It was originally meant to be longer too, but got shortened due to that issue.
Specifically, what's-her-name was supposed to get her own Orange Junius form and have an entire arc before passing it off for the final arc of Noa vs Dark Lucifer, and that pretty much got snipped out so they could wrap it up properly in time.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
So I finished watching Gridman and started watching Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad, and I'm not sure which broke me more, the scene in Gridman where the hero's mother gets corrupted and chases his little brother around the house in dominatrix gear, or the episode of SSSS where one of the hero's friends falls in love with a teacher and it may or may not be reciprocated. Did I just forget the 90's out of mental self-preservation?
I had forgotten that the C in "cyber" was changed to an S in that show, presumably for branding purposes....
I do recall an awful lot of computer viruses somehow affecting the human nervous system. Which even given the next-generation abilities of Kilokhan (sp?), really wouldn't be how anything would work unless someone had a networked prosthesis -- which as far as I can recall wasn't a thing in Web 1.0 days....

(But then, who am I to talk considering how many posts I've thrown here about a solipsistic AI wrecking your visual novel games? That's a different thread, though....)

Mostly I watched the show for the banter between the nominal villain (whom I suspect would be written a lot more fearfully in a 2020s high-school setting, but in the 1990s came off as an art student we're supposed to hate Just Because) and Tim Curry as the aforementioned military EW program who seemed bored with hacking Iranian mainframes, but mildly amused by designing virtual kaiju for high-school prankery....

Last edited:

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
Earth Squadron 5 Man

I started this VIA Shout Factory DVD today.

5 Man did a 180 on me.

It turned out to be a strong series and had a good story to back it up.

People have hated 5 Man for some reason.
Dude.. Seriously.. Are you putting this through google Translate? Just call it Sentai. Sentai is the offical term in the US and in Japan.

And the Title is Fiveman.

Plutoniumboss

Citizen
I have picked up my classic Rider journey with Kamen Rider X. It's better overall than V3, but "Setup!" doesn't sound nearly as good as "Henshin!". Also, the theme songs are super lame. Though it doesn't help that I'm coming straight off of Secret Squadron Goranger which has some great ones. (The "Variblune" theme is catchy as hell.)

Plutoniumboss

Citizen
I had forgotten that the C in "cyber" was changed to an S in that show, presumably for branding purposes....
I do recall an awful lot of computer viruses somehow affecting the human nervous system. Which even given the next-generation abilities of Kilokhan (sp?), really wouldn't be how anything would work unless someond had a networked prosthesis -- which as far as I can recall wasn't a thing in Web 1.0 days....

(But then, who am I to talk considering how many posts I've thrown here about a solipsistic AI wrecking your visual novel games? That's a different thread, though....)

Mostly I watched the show for the banter between the nominal villian (whom I suspect would be written a lot more fearfully in a 2020s high-school setting, but in the 1990s came off as an art student we're supposed to hate Just Because) and Tim Curry as the aforementioned military EW program who seemed bored with hacking Iranian mainframes, but mildly amused by designing virtual kaiju for high-school prankery....
I watched them both in succession, and I appreciate how similar they got the villain kids. Both overdramatic loners in black with similar vocal affectations. I'm pretty sure they had to have shown the actor at least some of the original. Though the US version got a lot more mouthy with the virus guy. And you can't really harsh SSSS for playing loose with what a computer virus can do, Gridman went at least as far. There was one episode where a virus monster was planted in a gym's computer system, which let it force the guys on the exercise machine to keep exercising, keep the doors lock, and shock anybody who tried to get in and help. In another, an automatic vacuum that already had the inexplicable ability to move its hose around unaided was given the ability to shrink people down and suck them up.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Don't forget the one where they hack the Japanese constitution to reverse what was legal and illegal that suddenly affected all the cops everywhere!

Top Bottom